SIMHQ ArmA video footage

forum for discussing Operation Flashpoint and older Armed Assault games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

SIMHQ ArmA video footage

Post by Softball » 26 Mar 2009, 02:55

I just wanted to pass these video clips along, these are from the Monday night ArmA session at SIMHQ. Great to watch and listen to. (Hint hint)

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 26 Mar 2009, 14:24

I've been talking about those Monday night sessions for a year. These guys run a professional session of ArmA. There is no reason why we can't too. We should join them on occasion just for fun, but we should definitely get back to doing what we do best, play real sims realistically.
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Grifter404/f16003sig.jpg[/img]
It's a good day to fly and any day you can fly is a good day.

Gator

Post by Gator » 26 Mar 2009, 17:40

"What we do best?"

Are you kidding me?
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 26 Mar 2009, 18:17

No I'm not kidding. There was a time when this group was very, very serious about simming and I consider myself lucky to have been a part of that. Obviously, many of us agree that we've fallen away from that.

There is no reason why this group can't engage in those sort of sessions a couple of times per week regardless of the sim being played. If a small group of us are committed to doing it, then it shouldn't be a problem. We'll set the night, the expectation, and we'll have a great time.

In fact, a few of us have been working steadily back to setting the realistic tone over the last couple of weeks playing ArmA. See, instead of complaining about it, a few of us have decided it's finally time to get on with having fun playing the games the way we want to play them. So, Softball, Steel, myself, and anyone else that wants to play the sims realistically, have been getting together on Friday or Saturday nights depending on availability. Thus two points:

1. Please feel free to join us.

2. To anyone and everyone who want to show up and play ArmA (or some of other sim of choice) please feel free do so but know that we're simming, not dicking around. Folks than can't maintain comm control, follow squad/flight leader directives will be asked to leave. Nothing personal, but it's really our way of having fun and we want to maintain that tone. Thanks for understanding.

Softball

Post by Softball » 26 Mar 2009, 21:36

Grifter, I agree with your assessment to a point. Yes, back in the day, we conducted ourselves a more on the serious side of things. Keep in mind, we had a LOT more members who participated, and quite honestly, most of us had more time to dedicate to gaming. I used to play 6 or 7 days a week running the 13th MEU in OFP; those days are long gone for me.

Who here remembers these names: Madrus, PV, DA (lol), Kamakazi, Viper, Hawk, Raptor, Sabre, Orion, Nemisis, Kodiak, Red Dog, and Hades? Add in the people who play here regularly, and you can see we had a pretty strong group.

Right now, the only day I can really dedicate to gaming is Friday night and some Saturday nights. I really like the ArmA mods we are currently using, they make the game more realistic IMO. The last few times we have played, things seemed to go quite well on the coordination and maneuvering side of things. As far as completing the mission, we didn't do so well. The problem with me joining the SIMHQ group is that I have school on Mondays or I'm usually doing something on the other nights they play. I would love to join their group sometime, although I will have to find out what I need to join their server and read through the required documentation.

I did notice that Panzer is in one of those videos, hmmmmm...? Panzer, you ever lead a fireteam or squad with the SimHQ group? Just curious. Nice job on the high score for the mission.

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 27 Mar 2009, 12:51

The required documentation and add-ons are fairly easy last time I checked, but that's assuming you can every play.

In regards to the discussion here:

I realize that this group has changed. We have gotten smaller, true. Still we can dedicate one night a week to playing a sim of our choice observing proper ROE, tactics, and comms control. There is no reason why we can't. We did a fairly good job of this last week, and I would expect a repeat performance of this sort of gaming either tonight or tomorrow night if we're getting together to play. Perhaps, even some improvement.

Look, I'll be pretty frank here. The reason why I joined WOF all those years ago is that the members had put together a very serious sim group and that's the sort of playing I want to do. I enjoy everyone's company here very much, but I'm really dissatisfied with the gaming experience. I'm hoping that a few of us at least, of like mind, can get together and have a night of serious simming on a regular basis. I know we have a group capable of that sort of play because either here in WOF or at SimHQ, people have demonstrated their ability to play realistically.

But it isn't going to happen unless those present, and of like mind, insist on this point. We either want to play realistically and make that an expectation of all involved or we sit and play pocket pool. And that insistence would necessitate that we're willing to pull the trigger and ask folks to leave if they are not respecting the wishes of the group. It's that simple. There are plenty of nights when people can show up and play whatever and however they like. It's not unreasonable that the serious simmers have a night where they can expect to show up and play the way they wish; after all, that's what the group was created for in the first place.

Frankly, the reason why this issue hasn't been pressed further, in my opinion, is that we're afraid of offending our friends or pissing someone off and losing more members. It's a genuine possibility, and that would be unfortunate. But, what the hell are we doing and what are we as a community if we can't even pull one night of serious simming together? We might as well just stop simming, and play halo and shoot the breeze. Let's just be honest about the identity of this group and what we're committed to doing as a group.

what I've experienced over the last few weeks is really appealing and I'm hoping to see it continue and even improve. I also hope that others here as I am to commit on this matter.

Gator

Post by Gator » 27 Mar 2009, 13:00

Grif,
Don't get me wrong. I was just nit-picking your grammar. Realism is what we used to do. It is not what we have been doing well recently. As for realism, you are correct. Those of us on the last few weeks for Arma was relatively realistic, except possibly for your landmine penchant a couple weeks ago.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 27 Mar 2009, 13:04

Softball wrote: I did notice that Panzer is in one of those videos, hmmmmm...? Panzer, you ever lead a fireteam or squad with the SimHQ group? Just curious. Nice job on the high score for the mission.
No I havent and I'm not interested either. I'm perfectly happy being a grunt taking orders. The only reason I was left in charge of what was left of the squad is because the 2 guys who were in slots ahead of me died!

Thanks for the compliment about the score! :-)
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 27 Mar 2009, 13:08

Gator,

Yes I figured as much. Still you gave me the prompt to elaborate and really express how I feel about this subject. Thanks for that.

Yes, I got frustrated a few weeks ago and lost my discipline there. won't happen tonight.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 27 Mar 2009, 13:15

I've been with WOF now for 6 years (sheesh) and I'm trying to recollect and piece together here our history concerning playing with sound realistic tactics. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it was Madrus who would get upset if he had to follow orders from another gamer who he felt didn't know what he was doing so he would just run off and do his own thing?

In Raven Shield I do remember some of us going off in our own directions but I also remember there being no formal decision/declaration of who was going to lead the overall mission planning. No one said anything and we would just start the mission and start fighting and assume that we knew how everyone would react.

I have ZERO problems with having a formal command structure and following objectives since that's all I do on Military Mondays with SimHQ. I think the problem with WOF has been that no one has taken charge to say that they would lead a certain mission.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 27 Mar 2009, 15:40

Well in the past, no one really had too. But yes, your assessment about our ravenshield years is fairly accurate. Rarely did we observe or employ real CQB team tactics, with a definitive leader. It appears now that some people do need to take lead roles or this thing just won't happen. I suppose I could take lead, but I don't consider myself qualified to lead anything other than flight formations in flight sims. I'm more of a follower when I'm on foot. Steel is an excellent leader, SB is very good as well. I will lead if no one else is willing too.

Softball

Post by Softball » 27 Mar 2009, 16:00

I miss the days of playing Ravenshield or Ghost Recon with Raptor. We would be sneaking down some stairs or around a corner tactfully, and run into enemies. Raptor would promptly pull out a grenade and attempt to toss the grenade around the corner. It would bounce it off a wall and right back at our feet. You would hear someone in Ventrilo say "Ummm, what was that?" and then BOOM!! We were all dead. You had to be there, it was down right hilarious.

We used to have training missions in the 13th MEU and you had to pass with a certain percentage or withing a certain time to pass each training section. We had a rank and file structure, designated positions (MG, Sniper, Team leader, etc..), and everyone knew what to do and worked together to complete the mission.

If we have enough interest, I can see about pulling the 13th MEU out of reserve status. This of course would probably mean we would need to recruit new members. This might be tough as it might infringe on the SIMHQ group. Or maybe we can get an organized team or squad from WOF and join up with the SIMHQ group. Let's talk about it here or in Ventrilo when we have a chance.