Arma II Released on Steam!

forum for discussing Operation Flashpoint and older Armed Assault games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Arma II Released on Steam!

Post by Softball » 26 Jun 2009, 16:51

Just FYI, you can now buy ArmA on Steam for $49.99. There is a demo available on Steam so you can test it out and see if it will run on your PC.

I played around with the demo for a bit at lunch, it looks like ArmA with GRAW graphics. On the default settings, I am getting 25-30FPS @ 1920x1200.

The demo did crash (freeze up) on me one time during the Boot Camp training.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Softball

Post by Softball » 28 Jun 2009, 00:47

I finished the Boot Camp tutorials and the first Scenario mission. ArmA 2 blows away ArmA, hands down. The Battlefield Commander feature is freaking cool, I have been hoping for this feature for a LONG LONG time. They really put a lot into ArmA 2, it seems to me that the developers listened to the users and Mod designers. I see quite a few features from the ACE mod that we used in ArmA. Everything seems much much smoother, the terrain is definately better, and the AI seems a bit smarter. My only gripe so far is the colors of the unit highlighting and waypoint markers, the colors are a bit light and somewhat difficult to see. I'm wondering if we can change the color of the WP markers in game? Or maybe just use a compass and a map. :)

Another great feature is that you can control your units completely from the Map screen, giving them commands to do things, such as get into vehicles. There is also the ability to switch to any AI unit in your squad ( Like in the original Ghost Recon), but I think only the leader can do this. I have not found a way to do it as a underling in the squad. I haven't been able to test if Join in Progress is included, so no comments there. After making a few tweaks to my video card settings and turning off the HDR feature (via the CFG file), the game looks and runs fantastic on my current PC. I am averaging 25-30 FPS (sometimes higher) during missions and received a score of 22 FPS in the ArmA 2 benchmark demo mission.

I placed my order from GoGamer tonight, it is scheduled to ship on July 1st. Hopefully I have it by the 4th of July weekend.

daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg » 29 Jun 2009, 09:11

I was trying to complete the bootcamp feature and I can't get past the firing range. When he tells me to go right after that he says I fail even if I hit the first target before he says I fail.

DA
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Softball

Post by Softball » 01 Jul 2009, 01:07

Make sure you only shoot the popup targets on the right side of the range.

daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg » 01 Jul 2009, 02:23

Ahhhh that makes sense!!!!!

DA
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 01 Jul 2009, 06:41

I'll be buying Arma 2 tomorrow and I'll be uninstalling Arma 1 soon.

I played the Arma 2 demo last night and I was blown away by the improvements.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Gator

Post by Gator » 01 Jul 2009, 07:20

I had that same problem on the firing range ...
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver