New Missions

forum for discussing Operation Flashpoint and older Armed Assault games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

New Missions

Post by Hudson » 11 Jul 2009, 13:36

I've created an ArmA 2 mission for us. Got a couple more ideas I'm going to work on as well. Maybe we can try them out Tuesday and/or Friday and I'll tweak them as necessary...

I think it feels pretty polished compared to most of the shit we were playing; more in tune with what Gator had going on; all constructive criticism will of course be appreciated, so I can figure out how to make them easier or harder as appropriate for our style of play.

It may interest you all to know you don't create the briefings through the editor anyway, and that's why most people haven't created them... Requires creating some files in the mission folder - one is real simple one liner too, but without them, no briefing...

Maybe if me and gator and whoever else create enough we can package them up and put them somewhere for download... might attract some new members that way too

Softball

Post by Softball » 11 Jul 2009, 15:28

Cool deal Hudson. Feel free to post a link to your mission(s) when they are ready for testing. Upload them to your web space if you can, the mission files are not all that big. Or if necessary I can setup an Airset.com account to upload files to.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Hudson

First steaming pile of crap up...

Post by Hudson » 11 Jul 2009, 17:08

edit: new link below

Let me know... too hard, too easy... the good, the bad, the ugly... feel free to try it a few times; there are some random elements...

already updated it; I didn't realize that the respawn wasn't working.

/sigh... ok i think yet again it's done... had wrong respawn MODE... instant was just respawning you in the same body rather than an available ai...
Last edited by Hudson on 12 Jul 2009, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 11 Jul 2009, 21:16

how about use the file repository at RLGaming.com? i hear they have lots of free space, a superfast set of servers and internet pipe, and are gaming oriented
Helmut

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 12 Jul 2009, 08:22

Interesting, what did you say this place is called again? PDT_Armataz_01_11

And more to the point, how do I drop stuff in the repo?

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 12 Jul 2009, 17:38

go to the portal section (upper right icon), find the category, and you should have an upload button or some such.
Helmut

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 12 Jul 2009, 18:35

I'll be placing new missions in the Portal, under downloads, in the Arma2 section now. There are two there; the one that was previously posted above, and a new assassination type mission. Let me know.....

phpBB/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=15

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 12 Jul 2009, 21:43

skip the assassination one for now; I learned some good stuff about triggers from a mission editor guide someone put together; it's amazing; anyway I've pretty much got them fixed, just want to test it a bit; I'll post the new version tomorrow afternoon. The current one will most likely work, but the new one will be much more reliable. I'll get the link up for the editor manual in case anyone wants to give it a go; very helpful.

Softball

Post by Softball » 12 Jul 2009, 23:44

I have tried uploading files to the portal and have not had much success. I don't know if it was because of the file sizes or what, but my uploading experience has been bad.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 13 Jul 2009, 05:29

I'm looking forward to trying these new missions!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 13 Jul 2009, 06:05

Likewise I can't wait for some input :)

I'm trying to keep them somewhat short; more focused right now on figuring out what's too easy/too hard for our squad size - figuring 4 -6 on average. For now I'm throwing a full squad of 13 on each map, that way we have some room if more people show up as well as some respawns so people don't have to sit out from one death.

I NEED honest input so I can adjust and get some good base 'templates' to go crazy with. I have two more I want to make before Tuesday, but realistically I'll probably get one done at best.

The types of missions I have in mind are in the vein of what we had in the original Ghost Recon days. Clear an area, or blow some stuff up, or stop a convoy, or whatever. Not big on flying ALL OVER the map to take out 20 objectives, and all that crap...

Here's the editor guide I found:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

This guide is a must have and yet the guy created it totally free. I am definitely gonna throw him some money on his paypal link though, as he deserves it; it's the reason I changed the Assassination mission triggers so drastically shortly after putting it up. No where does anything outside his guide tell you that changing the a/b axis to 0/0 makes the trigger global, which was very important in that mission for two of the triggers to guarantee the results; right now like I said, it SHOULD work... but could you break it? Maybe...

Other important links if you want to create missions:

Scripting Commands for Arma2:
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Cate ... ands_ArmA2

Arma 2 Class Library:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5853

This one is 130MB because it unnecessarily includes pictures or EVERYTHING, however it does seems pretty damn extensive, so it's probably worth it regardless of the size...

Softball

Post by Softball » 13 Jul 2009, 23:06

Thanks for the links Hudson, they will be very helpful.

EDIT: I will make a sticky post for these links.

Hudson

Changes

Post by Hudson » 14 Jul 2009, 20:30

Assassination is a daytime mission now and there is a more extensive weapons selection; no more silenced weapons at the start, along with a higher chance more of the AI will spawn.

Markers for where all the tasks are in place on both maps until the bug is fixed, and now instead of one squad there are two fire teams with corpsman support and a two man sniper team to start in each map.

Bug info:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12869
http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/1739

I checked and the machine guns do not need to be destroyed or manned in order to take the town, so someone/something was still present in the town on that mission.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 15 Jul 2009, 05:26

Thanks for making those missions Hudson and Gator!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 15 Jul 2009, 05:54

No problem; if you can't tell, I'm actually pretty addicted to it right now. Hopefully we'll only get better and can provide some continuing goodness to the group, until we have a good collection to throw in a map pack :)

Oh, and my wife is going to download the demo today and give it a try. I'll probably have to coach her along at first, but if she likes it enough we might have another player.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 15 Jul 2009, 06:07

Hudson wrote: Oh, and my wife is going to download the demo today and give it a try. I'll probably have to coach her along at first, but if she likes it enough we might have another player.
Yeah, she may actually not die as often as you do in Arma 2!

:-)

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 15 Jul 2009, 06:19

funny... I told her the opposite... I told her we can get shot in the face together and have fun.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 15 Jul 2009, 06:22

Hudson wrote:. I told her we can get shot in the face together and have fun.
Uh, I was gonna say something but I'll be nice and stay quiet. lol

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 15 Jul 2009, 07:14

as my wife would say.... F your face!

Gator

Post by Gator » 15 Jul 2009, 07:24

yeah, I'm not sure we can handle having your wife on ventrilo. I've played R6Vegas with her and my ears have never recovered!
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver