Doomsday: in-game ads coming to City of Heroes

discuss CoH and CoV...

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Tach Deneva

Doomsday: in-game ads coming to City of Heroes

Post by Tach Deneva » 08 Apr 2008, 15:01

LINK

Here's what I've been saying about it: LINK

Essentially - when this goes live, I'll most likely be 'opting out' of the game entirely. And Purple's really mad about it. Whew.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA » 08 Apr 2008, 15:18

well in game advertising been around for a while, lots of games do it they just don't tell you most of the time. But I think if its a opt out then there should be some reason to opt in on this. IE 5$ off a month, or a extra character slot or hell more costume slots.

Softball

Post by Softball » 08 Apr 2008, 15:27

They should give double XP to those who "Opt In". :D

I don't see a problem with it really, there are already "psudo" ads in the game (fake companies, names, etc..). So why not make it closer to what we would expect to see in RL? As long as it doesn't get too repetitive and annoying, no problem for me.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 08 Apr 2008, 15:30

Nope. Ya get nothing for opting in except ads. Some company called Double Fusion gets to put their code into your game files so that they can keep track of what ads you view. Unless you opt out, in which case, it allegedly just sits there doing nothing...

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six » 09 Apr 2008, 06:49

can I have your stuff?

sorry it needed to be said....lol

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 09 Apr 2008, 12:38

Wait, so I guess the 15 bucks you guys pay monthly isn't enough for them?

Ridiculous.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA » 09 Apr 2008, 13:01

nope. In all honesty this is common, but then why do they offer a opt out when there is no benefits of opting in. I don't mind the idea of advertising in game, In general everyone here has more or less learned to ignore comperials/adds, I find that adds are about as effective on me as hair jel on my bald head. The only adds I click on are in paintball fourms, and its usually because I remember the online store but can't find the web link lol.

but again its confusing to me as the opt out thing just makes no sense here. They could implement it and tell us have fun, but giving us a option I chose to not see the adds not for the fact that it gives them less cash, but for the reason I see no benifet to having them in game for me to ignore lol.

O and Tach dident you say that people in the COH forums where jumping on people saying its a bad thing ????

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 09 Apr 2008, 13:09

VEGETA wrote:In general everyone here has more or less learned to ignore comperials/adds, I find that adds are about as effective on me as hair jel on my bald head.
Yup, I also ignore the ads as well. I have never, ever decided to buy something simply because I saw an online ad for it in either a game or website.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six » 09 Apr 2008, 13:36

Yikes tach youve been busy on the coh boards

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 09 Apr 2008, 13:37

VEGETA wrote:O and Tach dident you say that people in the COH forums where jumping on people saying its a bad thing ????
Yep. Say you don't like the idea of in-game ads in CoH and get blasted by the Devoids (my name for the people who, if the Devs said "We need to kill your dog to make the game better" would wet themselves with excitement while trying to get their dog first in line for the slaughter).

Something interesting: last night was the first night of closed beta for I12. The devs said their 'friends and family' would get in first.

Guess which people were mostly absent from the forums last night...

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA » 09 Apr 2008, 14:00

ok I admit there was one add on tv that mad me want to buy something. When Subaru brought over the WRX to north america in 2001, I already loved the Impretza RS that was already here, WRX just its bigger brother. but saw that adds and its the only add I watched that made me want to buy anything. Well make me want me to buy it even more lol. and ehll now I own a Impretza 2.51 which is in reality a Impretza RS, they just came up with a new name for it lol.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 09 Apr 2008, 17:38

Tried getting on the Test server last night. No go, but I did get the I12 update. Today I looked at the COHTest folder and guess what - now I have a doublefusion folder and several subfolders in my COHTest directory.

This, after the devs said they wouldn't even begin testing the in-game ads on Test until AFTER I12 went live. They conveniently forgot to mention they were going to go ahead and put the code into the game along with the I12 stuff...

Bastids.