Champions Online

discuss CoH and CoV...

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Champions Online

Post by Softball » 14 Aug 2009, 23:42

Anyone here gonna play this? The lifetime subscription is tempting...

http://champions-online.com/exclusive_specials

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six » 17 Aug 2009, 08:06

Well with I16's team scaling and stuff, I'm pretty happy with CoH. Besides, being as Jack is heading that game.....means I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole, ever

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 17 Aug 2009, 08:56

I've been keeping an eye on a few forums where people have been in the betas. Most reports have been positive, although few seem to like the cel-shading. I also have reservations about ol' Jack, whose name I often used as an expletive back in the proverbial day, but I figure he's no worse than Positude and Back Alley 'Server Access' Butthole and Hastle.

But I wouldn't get a lifetime sub for anything until I'd played it for a while. Really glad I didn't do that with LOTRO. I recently re-upped for 3 months at $9.99 per month and only played about a month of it.

Still hoping that DC Online will kick butt in an appropriately superheroic manner.
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple

Softball

Post by Softball » 23 Aug 2009, 21:55

I may renew my COH account for a few months, around Sept 1st hopefully.

Who is Jack?

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 24 Aug 2009, 05:05

Softball

Post by Softball » 24 Aug 2009, 08:59

Ok, so I assume that Jack is now the lead designer of CO?

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 24 Aug 2009, 13:24

Jack Emmert, the man, the myth, the legend, is currently Chief Creative Officer at Cryptic Studios (recently acquired by Atari). Also the company working on Star Trek Online.

clickies

Softball

Post by Softball » 24 Aug 2009, 17:02

Ah well, all I'm gonna say is that I remember playing the "Champions" PnP game growing up and it would be cool to relive that childhood memory in a computer game. I guess CoH does that in a way already, but I will most likely wait until the game is released and check the reviews.

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six » 25 Aug 2009, 16:59

this made me chuckle.....

http://www.champions-online.com/node/286510
Due to high demand, we’ve only got 1000 Lifetime subscriptions and 500 discounted 6 Month subscriptions left, so make sure you grab them before it’s too late! You can check out our current offers at our exclusive specials page. Once we’ve run out of 6 Month subscriptions, you’ll still be able to purchase them, but at their standard price of $77.94 (that’s a savings of $12 from the normal month to month rate). There are no current plans to offer another Lifetime subscription plan, so if you’ve been on the fence about it, now’s the time to buy it!
As of 9:41AM the Lifetime subs are "sold out".

Softball

Post by Softball » 25 Aug 2009, 17:27

Or people can just wait until those who bought LT subs don't like it and sell their account. Lol!

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 02 Sep 2009, 10:33

DOH

"Like many MMOGs, Champions Online launched with a patch, and today's patch brought with it some significant changes to the game, as outlined in a special launch day State of the Game letter.

"As it would turn out, some of the changes appear to be a bit controversial, with many on the official forums up in arms over the changes. So what's stirring up all the ruckus?

"Well, for one, a number of balance changes were made today. The changes made were far reaching and affected just about everyone in the community. Many abilities were hit hard in effectiveness, and henchmen level critters were boosted in strength so as to be less trivial. This was all done in response to player feedback that the game may have just been a bit too easy.

"As a result of this, many players are finding themselves frustrated with the new changes, and due to the fact respec costs have been bugged for awhile now, they are unable to make necessary changes."

DOH 2

"To be fair, many of the "nerfs" were probably necessary, as they centered around abilities that many people had been calling overpowered all throughout closed and open beta. But it makes one wonder about the logic behind pushing live a patch, with such a large number of adjustments, that had no public testing on Day 1, just after they made sure they had all the lifetime and 6-month subscriptions they could possibly get..."

Been browsing the CO forums. Lots of folks there are upset by what appears to be a tremendous launch day NERF.

Sample quotes:

"...if you bought the longterm subscription based on CB, OB, and headstart, then you might be upset that the game today only superficially resembles the game you were playing."

"Champions Online Issue One: 'Defeated'"

"It feels like I was learning the ins and outs of Uno before the patch, only to find out after the patch that the game is actually Monopoly."

"The Disgusting thing is they do this the day the lifetime deals end? Its like pulling u in for the lifetime and then BAM. FU."

"I haven’t been this frustrated since SWG implemented their NGE."

"For anyone that is upset and wants one that bought a lifetime or 6 month membership, Cryptic will give you a refund. I called today to get one. The person I spoke to on the phone informed me that they have recieved a lot of complaints on the issue, and others calling to cancel."

"I can confirm this - i was able to drop my 6 month deal from them and they said they are getting alot of cancellations and the feedback is being taken to management."

"On Aug. 31st, 13 missions + a trivial amount of villain defeats = 19th level.

"As of Sept. 1st, 13 missions + over 400 villains defeated = 19th level.

"How exactly is my having to take the time to hunt down and grind out literally hundreds of extra enemies NOT going to effect the time it takes for me to level again?

"Please Cryptic, explain this to me."

Yes, there are some positive comments, but those were obviously made by Cryptic FANBOIS so they don't count! 8)

Gator

Post by Gator » 02 Sep 2009, 14:20

This is something that bothers me about online gaming and difficulty balancing in general. They balance the game until the hard-core players stop bitching about how easy it is and then you end up with a game that alienates the mainstream audience. Plus, I'm sure all the people that are having a good time and enjoying it are not posting in the forums - it's always the whiners.

The specific case I'm thinking of is L4D where when the survival mode was originally published, the hard-core thought it was too easy. a few months later while I'm playing it - it's essentially instant-death.

For SP only games, it doesn't matter since they can implement a sliding difficulty scale. In MP games where you share the difficulty with everyone, balance is a bitch.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 02 Sep 2009, 16:24

Hah! The CO forum mods removed the thread where people were explaining that you could get a refund on the lifetime or 6 month subs.

The Age of Conan forums were pretty funny the first few weeks after launch, especially when people hit the post-30 levels, but this massive nerfage on *launch day* takes the proverbial cake.

Which is delicious and moist, btw.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 22 Sep 2009, 15:23

Well, after careful monitoring of player opinion regarding the game play of Champions Online on the official CO forum (and elsewhere) and pondering the ramifications of the Launch Day Nerf, I finally decided to bite the bullet and re-up with City of Heroes, at least for a while. 8)