Mars

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Mars

Post by Hammer »

After we logged off last night I got the telescope and camera set up as Bones told me Mars was at its closest in a long time.

Got the following pic from my session, the girls loved it. Nidia scoffs at it (she can just look up a much better picture on the internet).
21_35_26_lapl4_ap3_Drizzle15_cropped.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helmut

PanzerMeyer

Re: Mars

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I can almost see Matt Damon in that pic calling for help.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Bones

Post by Bones »

That's a great shot! And you said you didn't have a great telescope!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Bones

Post by Bones »

I just looked in my telescope and my image is about 65% of yours, with a 9mm lens. Cool though!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I'm impressed you found it! It's so hard to line up the scope on anything.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

it was not easy, i will tell you. since i am doing things on the cheap i have barebones beginner equipment. most scopes have what is called a finder scope piggybacked on the main scope. it has a wide field of view and helps to locate your object, center it and then use the main scope. i do not have a finder scope. my mount, which is a goto alt-az mount, is not terribly accurate nor all that stable even with the lightweight scope i have(being low end beginner stuff, but I got it for $90). so it is a challenge sometimes.

depending upon the equipment Bones has, probably even more difficult with a smaller scope and higher focal length.

BUT, Mars is very easy to find right now.
Helmut