The top 10 greatest film performances

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

The top 10 greatest film performances

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So what are the top 10 greatest film performances you have ever seen? I'm talking about a performance so good that you were asking yourself "how the hell did they pull this off?" and also where you might have even gotten a few goosebumps from watching their magic on screen.

Here is my list,

1. F. Murray Abraham in "Amadeus".

2. George C. Scott in "Patton".

3. Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining".

4. Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner".

5. Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs".

6. Malcolm McDowell in "A Clockwork Orange".

7. Rod Steiger in "Waterloo".

8 and 9. A two-fer here! Joaquin Phoenix in "Gladiator" and in "The Joker".

10. Robert DeNiro in "Heat".
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Bones

Re: The top 10 greatest film performances

Post by Bones »

1. Sean Connery

2. Sean Connery

3. Sean Connery

4. Sean Connery

5. Sean Connery

6. Sean Connery

7. Sean Connery

8. Sean Connery

9. Sean Connery

10. Sean Connery

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

LOL, I've only seen #4 on Panzer's list.

I do have all of Connery's official Bond films on disc. Not NSNA, that film should not have been made! Inferior in every way to Thunderball.

However, I will say that I believe the days of the best acting being on film have been replaced by TV. An actor who can portray a character for dozens of hours of screen time has the opportunity to develop so much more than in a mere 2.

Or in some cases, more than one character. To this day, I find no single performance as impressive as Tatiana Maslany's in Orphan Black. Sure, any actor can play a character. How about playing FIVE regularly, with numerous other ones as "guest stars" in a scattered number?

To this day, I have never seen anything as mind-blowing as watching her portray one of her characters pretending to be another one of her characters. You could tell when she was playing Allison or Rachel...but when she was Allison pretending to be Rachel to bluff her way into a facility? She was literally both characters at once. IMO that one scene was worth an Emmy for every year she was on that series, even though she only won for the last season.

She portrayed (not all inclusive because I haven't found a complete list handy):
Sarah Manning
Cosima Niehaus
Alison Hendrix
Helena
Rachel Duncan
Elizabeth "Beth" Childs
Krystal Goderitch
Veera "M.K." Suominen
Pupok (voice only)
Katja Obinger
Tony Sawicki
Jennifer Fitzsimmons
Camilla Torres

And on more than one occasion there could be 3 or 4 of them, in a room at once, all talking and interacting with each other. You watch Back to the Future with old Biff and young Biff together and it is laughably primitive compared to what was done on this show.
The Jedi Master

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So I guess bones is a big Connery fan?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 09:32
So I guess bones is a big Connery fan?
Not exactly. Just paying homage.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm glad he lived a full life (90) and that his last film was in 2003 so he had 17 years to enjoy his retirement in the Bahamas!

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

When Jedi mentioned Orphan Black, I was like you have to be joking, but I can't deny he makes an excellent case for the actress here. I'm a fan of that show and binged watched all five seasons in a couple months of viewing time. It was excellent and he's right, Tatiana Maslany deserves an emmy for every season she was on that show given the demands on her acting prowess. The one caveat I would offer is that it was, after all, a sci-fi serial and not a serious, deeply profound drama. But, I think Jedi is correct in pointing out how demanding the role(s) really was and how well she did with it. I hope to see her in other shows. I also agree with Jedi's opinion that TV really has replaced film. It's a labor now for me to want to sit down to watch a movie rather than a television series. A TV series simply offers so much more development of plot and depth of character. I usually walk away from a film experience now with a feeling of being unsatisfied. It's rare now for me to spend time on a film and it has to be something of a fan favorite like Terminator or Star Wars for me to bother. I have a ton of films I'd love to watch, but I always end up watching a couple episodes of my latest TV interest instead.

I think the genre has been replaced by the modern television series long plot arc, really first put forward by Doctor Who and solidified by Babylon 5's five year model (thank you Sci-Fi). So, we really should make a separate list for television acting, I guess.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 07:01
The one caveat I would offer is that it was, after all, a sci-fi serial and not a serious, deeply profound drama.
And herein lies the fundamental problem with Hollywood and especially the Oscars and other awards shows. For whatever reason, the sci-fi genre isn't seen as being as legitimate as other genres like historical dramas or biopics. The prevailing attitude is that sci-fi is somehow intellectually inferior by default. This is exactly why not a single actor/actress has won an Oscar for acting in a sci-fi film. The closest one to achieve that was Sigourney Weaver who was nominated for her role in "Aliens".

It's almost like Hollywood thinks of only the cheesy B movies from the 1950's whenever the term "science fiction" is brought up.

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Well that may be Hollywood's opinion, I don't know that to be the case for sure, that's not what I was suggesting. I have enormous respect and love for Science Fiction and certainly it is as varied in degree as any other subject matter, which is why I qualified Orphan black as a Sci-Fi "serial." There is a world of difference between, say, Independence Day and 2001 in terms of their dramatic profundity.

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

A lot of the Academy is still made up of old white guys who have an inflated sense of their own importance. I've seen a few anonymous essays from members over the years where they talk candidly about who they voted for and why and which ones were just "sympathy" or "popularity/social" nominees. In other words, they literally felt that giving them the nomination was sufficient reward (like so many nominees themselves say) and they had no serious intent of ever voting for them for the award.

Anyway, they often come across as both self-important and also hanging onto traditional Hollywood evaluations of who should get the votes. They pretty much cop to favoring the ones that we all look at and say "that film was made just to win awards". Whether they genuinely enjoy that type of film, or whether they have convinced themselves that is the type of film that gets votes, I can't tell. It's like "oh, well, film Y was stupid fun (even though it was #1 at the box office and a major cultural phenomenon) but of course I voted for film X because that was true art there (and that film barely made its budget back and bores the majority of people who try to watch it)."

So while most of us see this boring film and struggle to care, they think "brilliant! gets my vote!" while some other film that genuinely impressed and moved us gets a "you can't be serious?" out of them because the protagonist wore a costume or there were aliens or any of a dozen other "disqualifying aspects" that means they would rather give up their voting rights than admit it was a better film.

They will also say things that at times are borderline racist/misogynist and then on occasion, perhaps out of guilt, perhaps genuinely impressed, will vote for the very thing they have spoken against (in private/anonymously). The token minority vote in all but name.
The Jedi Master

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Jedi's post is 100% right on the money.

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Seems about right. There have been plenty of scifi films worthy of nomination and simply did not get attention because of they are of that genre.