LOTRO

forums to discuss LOTRO

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

LOTRO

Post by Hammer » 09 Sep 2010, 20:35

http://www.lotro.com/

is now free. who would like to try it out?

as a group?

maybe all one race or class?
Helmut

Hammer

Re: LOTRO

Post by Hammer » 11 Sep 2010, 12:35

nt
Helmut

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 11 Sep 2010, 13:02

I have characters on the Gladden and Silverlode servers...

...but to start a new character at level one I'd have to do so on another server, as I'm limited to 3 characters per server even though I have five characters on Gladden and four on Silverlode. PDT_Armataz_01_27

The 'extra' ones are still there, of course, but I'd have to pay for another slot to free them.

That's cuz I have a 'premium account' - which means I *was* a subscriber at one point.
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 11 Sep 2010, 19:27

or remove those that you no longer play? not sure if that is an option.

where can we find out more about the classes ad skills systems?

it does not seem there is a magic user class?
Helmut

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 11 Sep 2010, 19:52

Lore-Master or Rune-Keeper are the magic users. The Lore-Master can have a pet - mine has had a raven and a bear - don't know if there are others. I don't know anything about the Rune-Keepers, as I don't have access to them. They were added in one of the expansions. I think for F2P you can pay to unlock them.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Skills
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Getting_Started

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 12 Sep 2010, 21:39

thx Tach. yeah Rune-Master and Warden are classes one gets when you buy Mines of Moria.

i guess no one else is interested in trying this out? i am pretty sure Softball is, but anyone else?
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 13 Sep 2010, 18:43

I got it DLed and installed. I get to have a Premium account because I was a former LOTRO player. I'm hoping Ghost will check it out, it's actually pretty good. One of the better MMOs around.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 13 Sep 2010, 20:57

why would you have to do premium? maybe use a different email and make a new account?

how about a group theme? or does everyone want to do their own thing? i always thought it would be kinda cool to have a group of all one class (maybe not the wisest thing) or one race.

also found some things in the faq if you did not yet:

D1. Downgrade Possibilities
Once your account is upgraded to Premium, that is the minimum status it can have. If it is upgraded to Premium, it will never downgrade to Free. If it is upgraded to VIP, you can un-subscribe and have Premium access (but won't ever go back to Free).

D1.1 "Types" of Premium
There is only one type of Premium. However, individual characters can have increased access if the account was previously VIP or subscribed prior to the launch of Free play.

D1.2 Subscriber = VIP
A Previous subscriber will be treated exactly the same as someone who downgrades from VIP. VIP is just another way of describing a subscriber.

D1.3 Account Status @ Launch
Accounts will retain their current subscription/price plan status at launch. The player can chose to make any change via the Account Management website.
-Subscribed accounts will remain subscribed, which translates to VIP access.
-Accounts that were previously upgraded with a key, or that subscription fees were paid on will have Premium Status. You can chose to upgrade to VIP at any point and re-subscribe.
-Free/Trial/Guest/Referral/Beta accounts that were never upgraded will have Free access. You can chose to upgrade at any point to VIP by subscribing. Any points purchase (with real world money) will upgrade the account to Premium.
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 13 Sep 2010, 23:36

I didn't ask for it, it was given to me automatically. No need to create a new account, I can just make a new character and we can play together.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 14 Sep 2010, 19:37

cool.

i had some problems using my older turbine account which i got for DDO F2P, but today they sent me a key for a free trial of mines of moria. OK i guess, but i do not see any way i can be high enough level in 10 days to go there. but i guess that is their way to get me a key to use on my account for LOTRO F2P.

i am guessing Tach will play with us. nobody else?

come on. it is free. it is Tolkein.

so SB and Tach, do you want to continue old characters or start new? what do you two have and on what server?
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 15 Sep 2010, 01:19

I have two characters on the "Gladden" server:

Nikka - Level 19 Elf Hunter
Velessar - Level 22 Elf Champion

I would be willing to start a new character for the purposes of us playing together. I haven't played in well over a year, so it will be like playing new again. I believe my characters are still in the guild I was in with my Shadowbane friends, it's called "New Dawn Adventurers." Edit: I logged in to check, and both my characters are still in the guild, haha nice.

I'm going to see if I can reach some of the people I used to play with. They might come back now that it's free.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 15 Sep 2010, 04:34

On Gladden I have

Numfar - Captain, 34
Istwen - Lore-master, 24
Norwen - Burglar, 20

On Silverlode I have

Fandiriel - Guardian, 20
Damdo - Hunter, 18
Lowbranch - Hunter, 15

Wouldn't mind starting a new character on some other server.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 15 Sep 2010, 19:13

well it looks like my friend Ed will join us as well, at least for a try for sure.

so we need to pick a server, and determine who wants to do what.

do all the intial starter things need to be done alone, then link up at the real start towns?
Helmut

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 16 Sep 2010, 18:03

You start off by yourself with an introductory mission - takes about five minutes - then move into a starting zone where you can team with other players. Once you're done with the starting zone quests, you enter the main portion of the game and can travel to various population centers within your level range. You can *try* to go to higher level areas... you might make it... but you probably won't. I tried to get my elven lore-master to Rivendell, for example, starting at level 12 or so - hah! Let me tell you, the bugs around the Ford of Bruinen are KILLERS. Finally managed to get her there when she was around level 20. Nice place.

Anyway, I've got some lowbies on Nimrodel, including a level 1 human Guardian if you'd like to try something there. I can start a new character on any server except for Gladden and Silverlode, which are full.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 16 Sep 2010, 20:52

ok - i am guessing we need to have a meeting on TS.

when will you two be on to try that? i can get Ed to join.

anyone else going to try this out?

Gator?

Hudson?

Hondo?

Ghost?
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 16 Sep 2010, 22:34

How about Friday or Saturday? I'll be gone for a couple hours on Saturday night from 5pm to 7pm. Friend is having a going away dinner that I'm going to be attending, I'll be available after 8pm or so. Last couple of Fridays have been a bit slow for us, so Friday is a possibility. We just need to convince the people on the fence (Ghost, Gator, etc...) to get it DLed and installed.

Softball

Post by Softball » 14 Nov 2010, 00:59

Update:

Ok, I started a Human Captain on the Nimrodel server, name: Trakas.

I speant about an hour playing and went through about 10 quests. Made level 5 + 80% to level 6. I've pretty much cleared all of the quests in the starting area (Archet), and I have been tasked with going to Combe (another town South of Archet) to rally some troops. I really had fun relearning the game, and a new class. Hammer, some of his friends, and I are planning on playing tomorrow in the late afternoon if anyone cares to join us. Tach? Ghost? Gator?

On a side note, something very cool that I saw tonight....someone was playing some songs on a Lute (guitar type of instrument) in the starting town for a good 30+ minutes. He was playing some modern songs of today, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc... very cool indeed. I must learn to do this...

EDIT: I found some videos of the music capable in LOTRO, so freakin cool...

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Ghostbusters Theme

What I've Done - Linkin Park

Unforgiven - Metallica
Last edited by Softball on 14 Nov 2010, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 14 Nov 2010, 05:19

Yeah, at one time I could play Smoke on the Water. :cheers:

There's some way to 'automate' songs, maybe using a script, but I never found out how to do it.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 14 Nov 2010, 13:38

Softball wrote:Update:

Ok, I started a Human Captain on the Nimrodel server, name: Trakas.
I have you on my friends list. You were last seen burning the post midnight oil on 11/14 at 3:12 AM.

Softball

Post by Softball » 14 Nov 2010, 17:35

I'm pretty sure that's East coast time; no way I was up that late on the West coast.