Star Wars: The Old Republic
Tach Deneva

SWTOR going Free

Post by Tach Deneva » 31 Jul 2012, 09:17

"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple

Tach Deneva

Re: SWTOR going Free

Post by Tach Deneva » 28 Nov 2012, 11:33

Reinstalled, logged in. A long time ago in a galaxy far away I had a subscription to SWTOR so now I'm a step above the wretched free to play scum and villainy. Yay, me. My various characters have been moved to three servers (out of the ten or so - not sure, didn't count them - that remain for the US). As a result, some of them require name changes - but they got a free name change token thingee, so whatever. On the server where my higher level guys wound up I have 13/2 characters. On another server I have 11/2 characters. On another, 7/2. Not clear on whether this means I can play a grand total of 2 characters, or it's 2 characters per server. I logged onto a server on which I had no characters and tried to make a new character, and got a pop up saying that before I could create another character I needed to delete 30. So... whoopee.

(BTW, as a free/once-had-a-sub player in LOTRO I get 5 characters per server, so when I found out some of my old CoH buddies were playing LOTRO I was able to roll characters on their server. Which gives me a happy for Turbine.)

Anyway. Back to the 13/2 server, logged on with my level 47 Gunslinger. Hmm, no sidebar thingees. Pay to unlock. Hmmph, darned inconvenient, lots of skills/utility thingees (like whistling for the speederbike and resting to regain health) I can't access instantly, but whatever. Wait, what? I can't hide my toon's stupid-looking helmet unless I *pay* to unlock the option to hide the stupid-looking helmet? Pay to hide the helmet? On my Zabrak character (think Darth Maul) who has horns coming out of her head that are evidently pushed down flush with her skull by this stupid-looking helmet that would only not look stupid on a WW1 ace. Bwahaha! That's just petty. Cruel, in the case of some of the Jedi classes, who get some really stupid-looking helmets. And that alone counts as Strikes One and Two, Bioware.

What else? Oh, yeah. I recently got an email telling me I had been graciously granted some free whatchamacallit points - the 'currency' you spend in the cash shop, I forget what they call it. So, like, wow - how many did I get? Is it enough to unlock the hide-a-helmet option? According the the store screen, I got 0 points. Bwahaha! I see on the forums that I am not alone in not getting the free points. I won't count that as a strike, though. That's just typical Bioware incompetence, not necessarily typical Bioware jackassery.

So my Gunslinger is on Voss. Right. I'm off to attempt a mission. I don't remember what most of my toon's skills do, and a large chunk of them are not anywhere I can click without going through at least one preliminary screen (example: P key brings up a window in which I can click an option that allows me to click an icon to access the speeder bike, and I have to repeat the process to dismount - now I could probably put it on one of the two quickbars I can access, but that would mean putting it in place of a combat skill which I'll likely need in combat) but whatever. Woops, all my skill points have been reset. It's like a free respec! Sigh. So I poke around and find a DPS build and roll with it. Fight some local wildlife. Pew pew pew! Yay! On to the mission. Okay, here's a critter with a gold star by its name - it's an 'elite' monster. Let's see how it goes. Attack! Uh oh, companion down! Uh oh, Gunslinger down! And here's the option to rez somewhere else or call up a medical droid doodad to rez me right here. 5 remaining. Eh? 5? Remaining? And when I use all 5, then what? Do they reset after a certain amount of time, or... do I have to pay to get more? It doesn't say. Meh. Burn one. Die again. Oh, look, the timer on rezzing still increases with every defeat. One of the very things that prompted me to cancel my sub before the first paid month was over. Pfft. Don't feel like waiting, so I go back to the rez point and hurry back to the mission. Die again. Rez. Die again. Okay, so I've forgotten which skills to activate when to optimize damage output, but - but! - not being able to kill pretty much anything quickly has always been one of my complaints about the Gunslinger, even back when I did remember what everything did. Now, over in City of Heroes, my blasters had virtually no hit points, look at 'em funny and poof. BUT - they could flat out dish the damage, and that was what made them viable and FUN. And yeah, I could solo some of the really tough baddies. Same with my Thief in GW2 (although its never worth it there due to the extremely stingy reward system). And my Bandit in LOTRO (who, if she couldn't beat 'em, could at least sneak around 'em - and pick their pockets!). Ah, well.

So I said to myself, 'Meh!' and logged out. Not re-uninstalling just yet, but so far... meh.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 28 Nov 2012, 11:44

"We want to let you know that we are constantly listening to you folks, and we’ve heard your feedback regarding limited Quickbars for Preferred Status Players.

"This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience."

Hmm. That's uncommonly kind of them.

Softball

Post by Softball » 29 Nov 2012, 22:56

I haven't played SWTOR in well over a month, and after reading the reviews of the F2P system, I think I'll not be logging in anytime soon, if at all. My sub expires in Jan. 2013, and I think I'll leave it at that. Too bad, SWTOR had so much potential.

I started playing WoW again, I subbed for a month to check out what has changed. The game has changed quite a bit since I last played in 2006. I was re-invited by a coworker using their WoW Resurrection program. You get a free level 80 character for coming back to the game, even if you don't re-up. So far, it's been keeping my interest. I'll give it at least a one month sub to decide if I wanna keep playing.

Still going to play GW2 and MWO, so I have plenty of stuff to keep my mind off of the SWTOR mess.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist