Update

Members, families, kids, pets, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

KODIAK

Update

Post by KODIAK » 25 May 2005, 15:14

I'm in the middle of creating a webpage with some space I have at my ISP. The main aim is to provide a location for me to upload some updated photos of the family and our current surroundings and activites. The other aim is to help me learn to create a website. It won't be anything fancy, certainly at first, but the idea is functionality now and the trimmings later.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer » 24 Jun 2005, 09:56

I would love to check it out!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 24 Jun 2005, 10:45

Stumbling block number one - the web design software that I am supposed to have with the install disk for the ISP browser software is a program called Hot Metal Pro 5, and it's not on the disk.
Softball, are you able to help me out there, as per our conversation the other week?

Softball

Post by Softball » 24 Jun 2005, 11:21

Never heard of that program K. I am using SwishMax ( http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area ... roduct=max ) to design my web site. It's a flash animation program that can be used to make web sites as well. I am currently working on my web site (again), and using an integrated images method (SWF files). Not sure how convenient this will be, I may redo it using external links for images. (Faster load times).

You can check out my work so far: http://www.dalendebi.us

If you think this program will work for you, let me know and I'll give you some more info and the necessary files for it.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 24 Jun 2005, 11:28

Okay mate thx, I'll have a look at that. Get back to you later, I'm in need of something simple to get me started.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 24 Jun 2005, 11:35

i will tell you guys that swf files suck - especially for embedding written content. you have to redo the swf file every time you change what you want it to say. if you want to have some cutsie animations or inros, then o.k. - just make sure you put a mutesound capability on it. Raptor has learned it can be very annoying.

they also use up extra bandwidth...so if you pay by MB used it can hurt.
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 24 Jun 2005, 14:16

Okay. What I really want is to get hold of this HotMetalPro because the tutorial they have is designed for that proggy, it's just about getting started. Once I'm doing it without having to refer to the manual (tutorial) all the time, then I'll get hold of some really crazy program to use.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 24 Jun 2005, 15:47

send an e-mail to your ISP customer support...

although it seems as if the company no longer exists, and your ISP has not updated their docs.

http://www.hotmetalpro.com/

proggy last updated on 2002 as found on a review web site. Prolly out of luck there.

you should be able to find some free WYSIWIG web site creator that has tutorials.
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 24 Jun 2005, 17:27

Yea, I can see how updating embedded images and text could be a pain in the ass as far as updating. I am going to test a few things out, make seperate SWF files for each page, use external links for images, make HTML pages with some flash buttons, images, etc... Whichever way is easiest, I am gonna use it.

If anything, this SwishMax program is great for making animated Flash movies. 8)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 25 Jun 2005, 00:36

SB,
Thanx for that swish link, I'll take a look at that today if I get the chance.
Steel,
I've given my ISP a shout (by e-mail), and we'll see if they have something to send. maybe they even have a replacement proggy by now.
Not sure what's wrong with that link, but even right-click and copy/paste isn't doing the trick. :? Anyway, thanx for doing some digging for me there. By the sounds of things, it's an out of date proggy. Maybe I should try something else. If you guys can recommend anything that would give me some flexibility as far as being a noob with this sort of thing is concerned, but would work well when I get the hang of things too. It really needs to be something you can buy the damn manual for too, LOL! :lol:

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 25 Jun 2005, 18:50

no, that was my point - they no longer exist and you will not get anything there...
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 26 Jun 2005, 02:53

Right y'are, I see what you're saying now. What about these wonderful proggies we see running around claiming to be all-singing all-dancing?