Post subject: DW Demo Released!!
PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 1:38 pm 

Get it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/dw/demo.html

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 9:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

Well I downloaded the demo and I must say its impressive but I'm guessing that the learning curve will be more than high on this one(if you plan on mastering the game). So I will cancel my preorder of Battlefield2 and preorder this instead.

DA

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I just completed the Helicopter mission in the demo -- must say, it's very rewarding to localize a contact with sonobouys and then stream the MAD and overfly my suspected contact and get a hit on the MAD sensor ... circle around and nail his a$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 2:50 pm 

Have to say, I haven't even looked at this yet - but I sorta decided to wait until the real deal arrives anyway. Just something about looking through and printing off a bloody manual that infuriates me, as many of us appreciate I'm sure. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:37 pm 

got the demo running with some monkeying around...

note this game is NOT going to be for the folks that like a lot of action...especially in multiplay. i see games lasting hours, with action only at the end... other than that a game of cat and mouse.

this game is definitely an extension of fleet command. a lot is the same. it does not seem like you will have all of the unit options that fleet command has though - bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 5:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It's definitely a "details" game. You have to put the right sonobouys in the water ... in the right place. You have to watch the waterfall plots. You have to look up blade counts, etc ... Steel's right ... no action until the sub explodes. I'm really looking forward to a some adversarial coop ... two subs against a helo and a frigate anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 6:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I remember Panzer and I playing H2H Seawolf back in the day. We'd both cruise around at 5kts, not hearing anything but surface contacts. In the end, one of us would get bored and active ping. This showed the enemy while revealing yourself at the same time. Then it became a race to see who could acquire, fire, then get the hell out of Dodge faster to evade the other guy's incoming. Sometimes we'd both die, sometimes both would evade and we'd settle down again until the cycle repeated.
Coop missions were far better.
I'd like to try a coop in this game with a destroyer and a helo vs a sub, or a P3 and sub vs sub, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 6:24 pm 

sub vs sub will be where its at for me... :)

but like i said, unless you have hours to play, or want to forgoe realism (i.e. active sonar...)...

i would like to try MP with it, but alas that is not in the demo. i am not going to shell out that money for a game i have to devote hours to play online, and hardly do so because folks schedules don't line up.

i think Jane's Fleet Command would be more satisfying for most folks., and a lot cheaper... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 7:32 pm 

I think the best solution here is to do what the guys at the SubClub do.

Matches are set up for a minumum 2 V 2 in multiplay this was 2 Subs verses 2 Destroyers. Silent Hunter 2 and Destroyer Command being MP compatible.

Objective of the Subs was to evade the destroyers and get in close enough to sink as many merchant cargo ships as possible and run like a mad man out of the area before the Destoyers found you.

Destroyer objective was obviously to find the subs and sink them or at the least keep them far enough away from the convoy that they were rendered harmless.

Now this all has to be done in a set 2 hour period. Obviously, Missions had to be made that put all the naval units in a position that they could achieve their objectives in the required time frame.

I played with these guys for three months or so with SH2 and DD and the last thing it was, was boring if you played a sub getting initial sound contact with the convoy was the first task, hopefully you would be able to determine the rough location of the destroyers relative to the main cargo convoy them plot a route to intercept the convoy as quick as poss without making your self too noisy that the destroyers picked you up, once in range the sweat would (and 'im not joking here) run down your forehead when you heard those destroyers coming for you, the tension was nerve racking and i loved it! Have never found another game that made me feel like this yet.

Obviously DW has more option with the P3 orion and Helicopters being playable but this will only add to the fun i think and if we use the SubClubs blue print of a maximum 2 hour mission with objectives for both sides to complete in those 2 hours and a proper debrief after then we couls have a great time with this OL.

We already seemingly have 5 confirmed players in WOF already and if these 5 can co-ordinate a definite night to play during the week for a fixed 2 hour period then i think we are onto a winner.

I will put my name in the hat right from the off to make weekly missions for this if a plan for the format and time limits is agreed upon.

Oh and as for my opinion on the demo! well it's slightly different to what i was expecting but i do like it and am very happy i pre-ordered this one (first time i have pre-ordered any game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 8:49 pm 

i will wait for you all to report.

sounds feasible Nem, but it could have been proven out if the demo had MP...

does the game have a mission editor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 12:57 am 

I have been wanting to try out a sub sim since I saw 688i on the shelves but never got round to buying it, even after we spoke about it several times on here. Then you lot pointed out this DW; this is the first time I've pre-ordered a game too, and deliberatley chose the binder manual version, so I would get into things better and easier (half the reason I dumped JF/A-18, no manual). Infact the first thing I did when I decided to get more into the Falcon 4 series was print-out the manuals, and guides - simply so I would have a decent reference to hand and not have to go look it all up at a more convenient time online or on pdf file somewhere.
My thing is going to be commanding/operating the sub on the US side, playing cat and mouse with the Akulas. I imagine my copy should be falling in the letterbox anytime now! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 6:31 am 

Yes Steel i believe the game does come with a mission editor and would you believe that some guys over at SUB SIM have already altered the Demo missions so there are now 4 more missions for the Demo already!

I don't think they have started shipping the game yet but heres hoping it will be delivered by the end of the week.

In Fact here is a copy of the developers statement on mission editor.

FULL MISSION EDITOR AS USED BY THE DESIGNERS
Dangerous Waters comes with the same powerful mission editor used by the developers to create all the included missions. Using the intuitive editor, you will be able to create your own single missions, multiplayer missions or even create complex, multi tiered campaigns. These tools give you extensive control over the mission content and enable you to generate an infinite number of scenario possibilities. Place military and civilian naval, ground and air units (including buildings and facilities), assign tasks, mission profiles even create complete task groups and air wings. All this power is at your very fingertips to harness.

And a link to the full list of ingame features.

http://www.battlefront.com./products/dw/features.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 8:13 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'll d/l the demo, cause it sounds interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 10:17 am 
 WWW  Profile

We wouldn't even have to use a 2-hour misssion ... it could easily be set up to have smaller, one-hour missions.

UK-folks: If you ordered this with the binder-manual, it will ship from the US and will take 2 weeks from shipping day ... saw this somewhere on the DW site. -- actually, this was in my pre-order receipt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 10:43 pm 

Checked my order confirmation and Gator appears to be correct. Bummer.

5. Orders which include any books will ship out from our warehouse in the United States, regardless of where they are shipping. This will add approximately 1-3 weeks additional shipping time for customers in Europe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2005 6:43 am 
 WWW  Profile

Nemisis wrote:
Checked my order confirmation and Gator appears to be correct. Bummer.

Happens seldom enough ...