RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Sat 23 Sep, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SH3 Install
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 5:16 pm 

So, I bought it, and now it doesn't work. I have tried to launch it from shortcut, and I have tried from the CD, but no joy - computer just freezes and the only way to sort it is a hot reset. Any ideas? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 6:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

well, first of all, it's a dvd, not a cd :)

It's got some kind of copy protection scheme ... after you installed it, did you get to the part where it "checks your disc" and asks you for the key and makes you reboot?

My guess is you didn't reboot or there's some software on your pc (like for copying/burning dvds) that it doesn't like ... If I remember correctly, Splinter Cell 2 had some trouble ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 6:44 pm 

FFS - some programmers piss me off! If I did my job the way they do theirs sometimes, I'd have gotten some poor bastard killed by now. 8O
The DVD thing isn'ty a problem seeing as I have attempted to install and run fromboth my Sony CRX-300 DVD/CD-R/W and my Sony DVD/R, but no joy. So I guess the next issue would have to be the extraneous DVD copy software on my system.
Funnily enough, it hasn't asked me for my code yet, but it did say i had to re-boot. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 7:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

it will ask for your code the first time you start it up after the reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 8:20 pm 

copy protection software? too bad - i won't be buying this game. i don't pirate, but this crap is ridiculous... why would one not be able to have cd or dvd burning software on their pc? who are these folks to decide you can't?

is it like cdilla - runs in the background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:10 pm 

Well this is a real pisser! I've covered all the bases now and no joy! I've even removed my Norton's AV and tried to use the update patch.
I never get to the personal code, the game and computer simply freeze up and the only way to reset is a hot re-boot. The only thing left to try is my boys computer - so let's see what happens, eh? :?
Well, before we even start it would probably be helpful if he had a friggin DVD drive, never mind. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:52 am 

Yes this is the same disk protection system Ubisoft used on "X2 The Threat" and let me tell you i would have thought they would have learned their lesson since hunddreds of people had problems playing that game since it would do as Kodiaks is doing or would simply not accept the disk as being genuine and left a lot of very angry people with a game they could not play.

I myself had a problem with the X2 disk but a third re-install fixed it and SH3 has worked for me first time which io was nervous about since i recognised the type pf protection they used.

Kodiak go over to the SH3 Forums and you will find threads there relating to your problem. Trust me your not the only one and it will be well worth the hassle as i have now finished the Naval Academy Training in SH3 and this game rocks.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s ... 2881085392

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 5:06 am 
 WWW  Profile

it's not all burning software it has trouble with - just the ones that are typically used "inappropriately" ... such as Alcohol 120%, etc ...

I have burning software installed on my pc, but it's just the software that came with the drive, like Nero or Roxio, etc.

This is frustrating, but it's not new. I just count myself lucky, because I'm sure there will be a game that won't run on my pc and I'll be pissed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 9:07 am 

At this rate, throwing it in the bin isn't even an option - but the window IS looking good! :twisted: I have spent the last day all but, trying to rectify this piece of shit, and now it can go to file#13. I'd rather get frustrated while flying Falcon4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 1:59 pm 

Kodiak,
Make sure you post in those forums and let the game folks know that another person has a problem... The only way folks will stop putting this in their game distys os if it hits them in the pocketbook. since it does not run on your pc you should be able to return it...especially if you exchange it for something else - although it may be difficult for you witht he deal you made. You could always ebay it and actually make some money... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I've been reading up on this ...

I mentioned this last night, but I thought I'd mention it again. It can be dependent on which drive you install it from ... apparently it's also incompatible with some dvd drives. Did you uninstall it and reinstall it from the other drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

also here's a link to "star force" so you can either download updated "drivers" for their software or download the uninstaller.

http://www.star-force.com/index.phtml?c ... 200&type=5

I was thinking another thing to try would be to update the driver and then reinstall or uninstall the driver and then reinstall ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

apparently some are getting satisfaction from tech sup at starforce ... support@star-force.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 3:31 pm 

Okay, so my instinctive ability to fail to simply give-up, rears it's ugly head. I haven't yet given up all hope of this game. But, it IS on very thin ice with me! 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 4:42 pm 

Having finally gotten round to contacting star-force support about an hour ago, I received an e-mail containing some tests within approx 20 or 25 mins. I have since completed the tests and returned the results and await the next instalment. The individual did actually state once he had the results he would be able to make the game work on my computer, which appears somewhat optimistic given that NO-ONE has posted with this problem to date, as far as I could see. Still, I watch and learn as all good engineers do. You learn something new every day they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 8:18 pm 

And now a second reply only another 20 or so mins after I reported my findings with the tests. But now nothing since, I'm guessing it's cos they are working from UK or European timings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 11:49 am 

Okay the latest reply from Starforce - we are currently handling your problem, hopefully we'll have an answer on Monday. :lol: A poilite way of saying - hey Buddy! We don't work weekends, politely piss off until Monday would ya! 8O
Anyway, nice to see they even have someone answering e-mails even though they aren't at work doing anything. So, I hope Monday brings good news.
Nemisis, you bar steward! Curse you for starting this SH-3 thing on me. Don't you just wander on here when it suits and make a post then simply disappear in to the hills. Get back here, godammit - and do some gaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :twisted: :lol: