Just a reminder

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Just a reminder

Post by Softball » 30 Oct 2006, 14:05

NWN2 will be out tomorrow, anyone else here getting this? I pre-ordered this already and should be receiving my copy Wednesday, Nov 1st, 2006.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 02 Nov 2006, 14:01

well??? report?
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 02 Nov 2006, 18:23

Here's a mini review I wrote:
--------------------------------------

Ok, so I played through the campaign for about 5 hours last night. It's very much like NWN, but much more polished, better graphics, and the magic spell effects are stunning. I attempted to run the game at the max resolution and max graphics settings, and it ran at about 10-12 frames per second. I have lowered the settings down a bit, 1600x1080(WS) resolution, 2xFSAA, 8xAF, no shadows (All shadows turned off) as shadows are a big framerate killer, everything else is maxxed out and I'm getting between 20-35 FPS. The framerates are lower outside than they are inside, and this is probably a good thing as most of the fighting will likely be indoors. There is a Configure/Detect Hardware button on the Options screen, and it will determine what settings are best for your setup. NWN2 is definately requires a powerful system to run it at the highest settings. (My system: AMD 64 X2 4600+ (Dual Core), Nvidia 7900 GTX video card, 2GB XMS Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM, Soundblaster X-Fi, Dell 24" WS monitor)

The storyline is good so far, I have been talking to everyone I possibly can and trying to make a name for myself with them. I am a Human Paladin aspiring to be a Divine Champion, so everything I do in game reflects what a Paladin would and should do. You start out in a small town/village where you were raised by your adopted father, an elf (I think?). The tutorial consists of you going to a Harvest Festival in the town and competing in different events. These events teach you the various combat techniques that are used in NWN2 (Magic, ranged, Melee, rogue skills). One event requires you to find (3) feathers in the town, one of which is in the pocket of one of the town villagers. So, if your character is not a rogue, the scripting in the campaign offers you one (a small boy nearby) to join your party and help you complete the event. Pretty cool IMO.

After the festival, the town comes under attack and you are tasked to help recruit people to defend it. Similar to how the first attack happened in NWN with Arabeth and the King. I won't tell too much more on why the attack occurs and what happens next, but my current quest is to make my way to the city of Neverwinter on foot. I have met a dwarf along the way, and he has joined my party. I've had some interesting conversations with him, he wants to be a Monk. A Dwarf Monk, I love it. Lol!

The way you move around on the world map is when you reach the edge of an area, there is a symbol on the ground and when you click on it, it will take you to the world map. On the worl map are some icons to the places that you have either been to already or can access now that you have reached this point on the map. You click on an icon and it loads the area (loading screen from NWN), but if something happens along the way, like you run into mobs or bandits, it will stop loading and flash a message saying that you have encountered something or someone along the way. I'm not sure if this is random or scripted, I haven't had enough encounters to determine that.

It seems like there is a lot more interactivity in NWN2. At times you will walk by certain people or a certain area and it will switch to a movie screen showing a conversation, and there will be an option to get involved or just keep moving along. So far I have gotten involved with just about every incident I have run across. What can I say, I'm nosey.

Where I am in the game right now is at a Fort on the road North to Neverwinter. I could just bypass all the side quests and get to Neverwinter asap, but I would rather soak in the new content and do as many sidequests as possible along the way. Besides the Dwarf I have with me is one heck of a conversation piece.

I have not had a chance to try multiplayer, nor do I know if you can play the campaign in MP.(Man I hope so). I will get into the MP aspect of NWN2 this weekend and hopefully have some answers to questions anyone might have.

Henchmen. When you get a new party member in your group, you have full control of EVERYTHING with that character. It's like having 2 or 3 characters to play at once. Very nice and convenient. You can set certain things with the AI controlled characters, how aggressive you want them to me, etc etc. Things are MUCH better with henchmen in NWN2 than in NWN. Each henchmen has a programmed personality with likes and dislikes, so if you run across anyone they do not like, they will let you know it.

I'm really enjoying the game so far, and like I said I have put in about 5 hours into the campaign. This may seem like a long time, but I am pacing myself and taking my time with the story, so I imagine this will take longer than the average finishing time. I have not used the Toolset yet, so stay tuned for more on that.
---------------------------------------------

Softball

Post by Softball » 03 Nov 2006, 03:40

I took some screenshots last night, check them out here:
NWN2 Screenshots 11/02/06

I am having an absolute blast with NWN2. The SP campaign is so engrossing and awe inspiring, I love all the side quests. Being a Paladin seems to have it's advantages, I have been using my diplomacy and persuasion skills to my advantage. They can really get me out of some tough situations. I still haven't tested MP yet, but I'm having alot of fun with the SP campaign.

Gator

Post by Gator » 03 Nov 2006, 05:31

I've created a half-elf sorcerer ... Still trying to get it all configured so it doesn't look like ass and runs smooth ... funny I don't have this trouble with my console games ;)
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 15 Nov 2006, 21:00

just picked up the game tonight. installing as i type this post :P

Softball

Post by Softball » 15 Nov 2006, 21:43

Pretty fun so far, I am part of the City Watch in Neverwinter. Pretty cool running around the city stomping out crime, from within the City Watch as well no less. 8O