NWN2 crash to desktop.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

BlackHawk*K

NWN2 crash to desktop.

Post by BlackHawk*K » 24 Nov 2006, 20:11

when i first installed this game it seemed to work ok. for some reason now, it crashes to desktop during game play, ive tried upgrading drivers, windows updates, game updates, etc. nothing seems to have effect. not even changing the screen res or game graphic settings. ive read threw some forums about CTD during game start, or certain areas like charactor creation but so far havnt found anything about random crashes during game play. ( not these crashes happen 2 ways, either a simple CTD usualy with no error message, and a few times my PC simply rebooted during game play. this is also the only game it seems to happen with so far. )

im now downloading beta patch 3, to see if perhaps it might help.

i was just curious if anyone who plays the game have had any issues like this, and if so, were you able to do anything to help the problem.

Softball

Post by Softball » 24 Nov 2006, 22:08

I haven't had any CTDs or problems with NWN2....yet.

Seeing as you have updated all drivers, it seems like you are having a hardware problem. Possibly a CPU or Video card overheat? Do you overclock either of those? Have you made any major hardware or software changes (Windows update, DX9, etc..) recently? Have you tried running the NWN2 hardware auto detect and run the game with those settings? Does this happen with any other games?

Hope you can get it figured out.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 24 Nov 2006, 22:25

i didnt try any windows updated or DX Updates ( besides the one that came with the game. ) untill after i started having the problems. they didnt seem to make any difference. Guildwars seems to play better though, i have less game freezes then i did before. it very well might be a GPU overheat. i have had defects in games like NFS carbon and Oblivion. i did have a real bad overheat problem with my GPU once this summer while playing GWs. i found that the cooling fins inside the GPU Had gunk in it, since then ive cleaned it out over few weeks or so.

the interesting thing i tried next was, i DLed a trial version of windows xp 64 bit from windows. with a 100+ day trial key, installed it on another drive and tried to install the game, unfortunatly it wouldnt even play! not sure why at this point.

oh well i wounder if i might of dmged the card after that bad overheat. usualy it did ok till now though.

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 25 Nov 2006, 02:52

update.

i installed some older drivers.

i get game pause, but it at least dosnt crash to desktop now. so im woundering if it isnt driver related??

will have to play some other games and see what happens with those.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 25 Nov 2006, 08:24

you should try windows vista 64 bit if you can get a trial download... xp 64 bit blows... but sticking with regular x86 (32 bit) would probably be better.
Helmut

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 25 Nov 2006, 22:44

will have to look into the vista trail download thingy. i would like to see what the 64 bit stuff would do with my processor hehe.

i kinda got the problem fixed. i am using a beta set of drivers that seem to be working ok. the older version i had installed made all my other games stutter. couldnt even play guildwars lol.

one thing i did do was find this little nifty program for cleaning your vid drivers before you update. it was highly recomended.
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 26 Nov 2006, 00:09

i use the drivers from tweaksrus.com... you might want to check them out.

i just installed nwn2 tonight, played a bit of the intro is all i had time for. no issues yet. have you also updated to latest?
Helmut

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 26 Nov 2006, 11:24

yup that was the first thing i did was click on the little update button.

im also useing bet 1.03 now you see the number on the upper left hand corner of the menu screen. but, i didnt install that till i was having my troubles.

as of today the only troubles im having is a few pauses in the game, they clear up and the game continues. that and im stuck in neverwinter and no matter where i go i get my butt kicked lol.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 26 Nov 2006, 14:28

maybe we need to do it coop...

is there a dedicated server released yet?
Helmut

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K » 05 Dec 2006, 18:29

im also useing bet 1.03 now you see the number on the upper left hand corner of the menu screen. but, i didnt install that till i was having my troubles.
the 1.03 update seems to be working pretty well for me. but probably make it so i cant join any games unless the host is 1.03 also.

i think my problems stem from something wrong with my video overlay. im internal TV/FM card wont work now either. i didnt noticed that till i was trying to watch heros episode yesterday. so i think its either a driver issue, or maybe something messed up in windows. either way, ive been able to at least play the game latly lol. hardly any problems at all now, and ive gotten past the black lake district! YAY!!

tried a few different chars out, but my faverate is a blonde human fighter named Tom Matter. ( yea i stoll it off the Cars movie from Tow Matter ) but i had to play up the big dumb sweed thing. :P