Still doing the new PC dance (NWN2 related)

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Still doing the new PC dance (NWN2 related)

Post by Softball » 13 Nov 2009, 10:23

GRRRRRR!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my new PC, but when it takes about 2+ hours to install NWN2 and 2 expansion packs, ummm yea, something is not right (The patching takes the longest). And when I get to the patching of the final expansion pack and it tells me that there is a file mismatch, and the game will not patch properly, GRRRR!!!!

So, after about 2+ hours of installing NWN2, I have to uninstall and re-install it because of a patching issue. I found a post on the NWN2 forum that suggested I download the patches manually and run them AFTER I have installed all 3 installs of NWN2. Before I left for work, I ran the installer for NWN2. I will continue the install dance when I get home tonight and hope for the best. I really wanna get going on the PW stuff. I wanted to share my adventures into new computer land. See you online soon.

Oh, and to top it off, one of the drives in my RAID 5 setup is failing. When it rains it pours. I should have a new replacement drive today or Monday. Good thing RAID 5 will keep running with a defective drive. :)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 13 Nov 2009, 15:39

ain't RAID grand... I had a disc fail in my media system and it just kept chugging until I replaced it... so nice...

Gator

Post by Gator » 13 Nov 2009, 16:50

i learned recently that the "WD Caviar Black" drives don't RAID for crap. I had one fail everyday until I replaced the entire array with "WD RE3" drives. Something about "deep error recovery" or somesuch and RAID controllers not liking when a drive disappears into error recovery state or something.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 13 Nov 2009, 16:59

wierd... fwiw I'm using a few 1TB seagate barracudas 2x ST31000340AS and 1x ST31000528AS (was 3x 340's until one died) and they've been working out pretty well, minus the one failure...

I use windows live sync to back up all mine and my wifes data to that host as well, so just 1 drive in my desktop; if I have to rebuild it and reload everything, se la vie...

The system has a Hauppauge 2250 with 2 tuners and a crappy Pinnacle 800i with 1 tuner, so can handle up to 3 live tv and or recordings in any combination simultaneously, which is pretty sweet. The software converts them to divx after recording and saves them to a folder I have shared out via file sharing, and also allows for playing them streaming via the web interface...

Pretty little picture of the bad ass disk setup:

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 13 Nov 2009, 18:51

yes, install all 3 then do the patching. it will work a lot better.

the company i work for was directly responsible for getting the WD RE drive line created. we had customers that would buy thousands of drives, and in that quantity it is expensive. so they went to IDE drives instead of scsi because a singls failure out of thousands is acceptable. but tey found out that desktop drives failed a bit too often to be o.k. at the duty cycle they were pushng them. we worked with WD to create the RE line of drives and even had an exclusive on them for a while. other drive manufacturers followed suit and now almost all of them have an enterprise class of sata drives.
Helmut

Softball

Post by Softball » 23 Nov 2009, 02:16

I am running the Caviar Green drives, the Caviar Blacks were out of stock and the RE3s were a bit too expensive. Aside from the initial failed drive, everything is running great. *knock on wood*

Received my replacement drive on Friday. So now I have a backup if/when another drive goes down. :)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Gator

Post by Gator » 23 Nov 2009, 20:27

you'll have to let me know how the green drives work out for you. What was their manufacture date? At work, all my RAIDs are Caviar Black arrays and I've had no issues. I have a 4-drive RAID5, a 5-drive RAID5 and a 3-drive RAID5.

However, I lost one drive per day at home in my 4-drive RAID5 until I replaced all the "Black" drives with "RE3" drives.

Something about RE3 makes me think of Resident Evil even though I've never played a Resident Evil game.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 23 Nov 2009, 21:16

depending upon what size the green drives are they will have lower performance than the regular drives. we found the new 2TB green drives perform quite well though.

if you care, RE4 drives are out now.
Helmut