RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slovinian Mini campaign ala Steel/Grifter
PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 9:23 pm 

Slovinia is tired of NATO occupying their territory and have decided to use military force to get them out. Under attack, NATO positions were partially over run but managed to hold back the Slovinians for now. Our air support was partially successful with numerous A2A and A2G kills, however, there was friendly fire and we did lose approximately four or five air frames.

What exact gripe the Slovinians have with NATO is unclear beyond the fact that they don't want NATO in the country and are apparently hellbent on getting us out. Our order are to gain air superiority and support our ground troops in securing military targets while maintaining NATO's presence in the area.

So far, we've flown one TE mission built my Steel and we were partially successful. We plan on builing more over the next week or two. If you would like to contribute a mission to this endeavor, please feel free to build one and post it to the website or email it to Steel. We could use the help. We would like this "mini-campaign" to be about 8-12 missions in length. If successful, we shall make future mini-campaigns in other theatres. This one is set in Balkans 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 9:54 pm 

the TE we flew:

http://files.rlgaming.com/Falcon/WOF-SlavAttack.tac

if you want to download it.

Slovenian attack was against Trieste. They have defeated a NATO Armor Brigade+ that was defending Trieste, and the remnants now occupy Trieste Factory, Trieste Power Plant and Trieste Refinery were both occupied by enemy forces. Full intent of the Slovenian Govt. is unknown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul, 2006 10:46 am 

Is that Balkans (normal) theatre? Or 05, 10?

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul, 2006 11:48 am 

Balkans '05, sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006 1:02 am 

Thanx. I'm going to try flying that myself. Get a feel for the style of mission.
Talking of current issues, maybe there is plenty left in the Korea theatre yet, especially if they keep launching missiles into the bay around Japan. And I wonder just how much help that last missile had to fall into the sea . . . .. :wink:

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:07 am 
 WWW  Profile

I created a TE mission for the Slavian mini-campaign and I'm working on another one, the first one I'm not to sure about but the second one is more on the lines of NATO trying to keep a foothold in Slavia at Triest and defending the Aviano airbase from air attacks. The first one I moved to far ahead with a Carrier Task force just northwest of Paulao airfield with an invasion force coming from the task force plus ground troops breaking out of triest but its set for day 1 at about 17:32 hours (a little bit ahead of what you guys are doing, but I'm sure the day can be changed some kind of way).

I hope this helps in what you are trying to accomplish, let me know your thoughts about this.

DA

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul, 2006 6:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Does anyone want to tryout the first mission just to see how it goes?

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:26 am 

So, are we going to make use of that template from the first mission there? I can do a few mission for that if you want, no probs. Lemme know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 12:29 pm 

that is fine, but take into account the results of that mission as well... NATO is actually rocked back, owning only a small part of Trieste with minimal ground forces... can they hang on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 12:50 pm 

OKay, see what I can put together.
First, we need some serious CAS around the troops. Whether they choose to remain and be supported, or be bug-out by sea will depend on what the first CAS achieve.
Secondly, we need some surgical strikes against airfields nearby to downtime the enemy's air capabilities while we regain control in the Trieste area.
Both of these objectives will require top-cover. And no doubt an element of SEAD. We should have reasonable support from AWACS too without much trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 2:13 pm 

yes - i did first mission without AWACs dues to the surprise of the attack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 2:55 pm 

If you haven't played Steel's mission yet, you should to get a sense of what was available at the initial flashpoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 3:53 pm 

Oh yeah! Already done that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 8:21 pm 

Hey Steel, as you know I'm making a CAS mission as well and I've adjusted the ground units per your recommendations. Once I've finished the mission, would you mind looking it over to make sure that it's logical; that is, that the units are in the right spot, that there aren't too many of them etc. I can e-mail the mission to you easily enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 9:42 pm 

sure - np.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 5:25 am 

I wonder if the following would work for follow-on missions.
1. Draw up scenario
2. Fly mission
3. Take snapshot of theatre after all surviving aircraft have landed.
4. Use theatre 'state' as the basis for next mission.

If the theatre was set-up a little more intensely at the beginning we could achieve the campaign environment to a certain degree, without all the slow-up caused by the campaign engine. Admittedly, movement of troops and vehicles, aircraft would be somewhat localised, focus being generally along/around our TE mission flights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

hey steel can you post your specs and advice that you gave grifter last night before I jumped online, I think I'm going to concentrate on missions that will aim at Attrition and attacking supply lines.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/si.html

I think the field commander for the Slovenian forces seriously considered destroying the three nearest Nato airbases to protect his troops movements a little better. I'm sure he understands that the situation is almost hopeless due to Nato's unique military presence in Italy and that they are really pushing there luck taking triest (I think its apart of Italy) and destroying three of Italy's airfields/airports (if thats the route you want to go). So check out that link to get a wealth of knowledge about Slovenia (this will definately be a short war once you see there military capability) hell there yearly budget for the military is about the same cost for atleast one of our amphib ships.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/it.html

I just confirmed it with the link above and yes Triest is apart of Italy so how will they personally respond to that???

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 8:42 am 

What Kodiak is suggesting would seem to have real merit and we ought to look into it; in fact, I think Steel was talking about something along these lines last night. Remember, we can't write any old mission the way we want to; rather, the mission needs to based off the results of the prior mission. If we don't do that, then there will be no sense of coninuity nor any real logic behind the campaign as a whole.

I did'nt think about that myself when I opened to the project to help from the rest of the squad. We might have the trouble of too many cooks stirring the pot now, and really the only guiding measure is the results of the previous mission. That said, I really want to thank Kodiak and DA for voluteering their time. Its good to see some real interest in F4 again. Let's just try and stay organized and build our missions off of the prior mission results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 9:00 am 

In that case, might I further suggest that if that is possible and the likely way to go here. Someone should be in charge of disspiating the 'present situ' theatre map to whoever they wish to undertake building the next mission or mission set. They would then have sufficient time to build the TE environment for the next flight night, and do a little bit of testing too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 9:26 am 

Makes sense. Either Steel or myself will have to look at putting the process you suggested above into practice to see if we can post a situation map at the very least detailing last position of known units, brief report of mission results aattahced.