RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jet Thunder by thunder works
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 8:49 am 
 WWW  Profile

Has anyone heard of this SIMM, I wil definately be looking into this one.

http://www.thunder-works.com/news.htm

DA

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:30 pm 

no but me want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 3:15 pm 

After reading through the features, I think I will like this sim.

- Full V/STOL flight model for the Harrier/Sea Harrier, realistically based on vectored thrust vector, rotating within the limits of the real plane's nozzle system, not the augmented flap performance as seen in other flight sims.

- Range of single missions, based on historical missions, on either argentine or british side. Full Mission Editor will be available so players can make their own missions and share with other players.

- Complex Air-Sea-Battle campaign system: based in a "commanding AI" that will give orders to naval, air and ground AI units based in the current tactical situation, the player will fly in an enviroment that may change unpredicably, so, although based on historical order of battle, equipment and resources/logistics, the outcome of the campaign can be different.

- Multiplayer modes: dogfight room, cooperative, and online-campaign.

- Fully scalable realism options, for a less steeper learning curve: no stalls/spins, no crash, simple radar, unlimited weapons, no wind/turbulence, missile effectiveness slider, no cockpit, and others.

- Range of training missions for each aircraft, focused on main aspects for each plane: twin-prop flight (Pucará), V/STOL operation (Harrier), carrier operations (Super Etendard, A-4, Sea Harrier), supersonic flight (Mirage).

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 3:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

From what I read at SIMHQ this one has been on the drawing board as long as Fighter "FO" Ops has. I do believe in get it right before you put it out but I am a little anxious now. Falcon 4 just dosen't do it for me.

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 5:15 pm 

Why? Because it's too realistic? Because it's actually challenging? Because you have to actually know where the controls are in the cockpit? Because you have to know how to actually manipulate the radar as well as other instrumentation to orient yourself to target/bandtis? Because you have to know what bullseye is and how to use it? Because you have to use actual tactics to get in and out of threat zones safely? Yeah, I can totally see why some ppl don't like Falcon. I mean for a sim, it's just too damn realistic. Geesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 5:27 pm 

By the way, when I see a sim that comes close to Falcon's realism I'll be happy to buy and play it. I've yet to see anything come that close. The bottom line is that you want to fly a real sim, Falcon is it. I guess Jedi, Panzer, possibly Sofball, possibly Steel since most others are disinterested for varying reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 5:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

You know FO will have all that and no I don't mind that but hey here's a thought have an extensive training program to properly orientate the pilot to his office space. I like F4 for all that you have mentioned and guess what FO and Jet Thunder will have that plus some.

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 6:01 pm 

I'll believe it when I see it. Time after time I've seen combat flight sims promise the world and most of them don't deliver. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:28 pm 

they usually end up like strike fighters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 9:08 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't know about this one. I think FO will be a big hit, everything is riding on this for them just like Jet Thunder for Thunder Works. Only problem is even though the community says take your time and make it right they are just as anixous as me (admit it even though F4 is the bomb everyone want something new that will surpass it, its called evolution people), and when a wolf is hungry well you know the end result. I know they feel it and this could easily turn into Lock On if not handled right. The clock is ticking and they are at the two minute warning.

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:00 am 
 WWW  Profile

I found some screens from Thunder Works website on SimHQ. Now tell me if this isn't promising.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p ... ost2365003

Some inflight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwRxHzZx ... re=related

DA

MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:10 am 

As I said in my post above, when I see something better than F4, I'll be happy to invest a great deal of time in playing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 5:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

Steel wrote:
they usually end up like strike fighters.

Wasn't Strike Fighters made by pretty much one guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 2:35 pm 

After watching that video, it sure looks a lot like Strike Fighters. Hmmm...?

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 8:00 pm 

it does not matter if it was made by one guy or not. there was one brain behind it, it is brilliant but basically a single player game because his market research says there is no or not enough market for coop multiplayer. as a sinlge player game strike fighters is very good. but i am not interested in that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 8:19 pm 

well is his market research sucks. There are plenty of online players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 6:28 am 

ya all 6 of us PDT_Armataz_01_12

ok ya I agree there is adecnet online players but to many have swaped for the xbox so whats elft is the hard core guys who want real games not dulled down ones and sometimes we an't enough for a succesful game compared to the nubmers of sales console games get even tho in a lot of cases I think they are inferior for some kinds of games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 7:00 am 
 WWW  Profile

Steel wrote:
it does not matter if it was made by one guy or not. there was one brain behind it, it is brilliant but basically a single player game because his market research says there is no or not enough market for coop multiplayer. as a sinlge player game strike fighters is very good. but i am not interested in that.

I do recall reading some stuff online that corroborates what you said. I also remembering reading some stuff about how a detalied and comprehensive Coop multiplayer mode was left out because of the limited budget. Apparently, writing good netcode for a flight sim requires a lot of man hours and other resources. I have tried the Coop quick missions with Jedi online but I have to admit that its VERY limited and while fun, it does get repetitive after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It's not so much that he thinks there isn't a market for it, it's that his resources are limited and the effort to expand MP wouldn't be paid back. For example, if you're going to sell your house soon and you want to boost the selling value, spending a few grand to fix up the rooms and get another $15k for the house is worth it, while spending $50k for a pool to sell the house for another $15k is not!
He doesn't have the money to hire other programmers, and his dev cycle is such that he uses his time to make new titles every 18 months or so with incremental improvements to AI, graphics, flight models, etc. Improving MP would take a much longer dev cycle and cut into his revenue.

As for Jet Thunder, the devs hang out at Combat Ace in a forum dedicated to it and regularly post updates about what they're doing. They're more ambitious than TK, but have barely any more resources, so they still have no release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

What is happening to our beloved Flight SIMMS. They seem to be falling by the way side with each passing year. Will we even be talking about flight SIMMS in ten years hell five? I can see it now when my babies are in their adolescence and I have them on my lap telling them about the yester years of Flight SIMMS. "Baby, I remember not quite like I used to but there was a time when you could fly around the world and fight the good fight from your computer. Damn those were some good times!!!!!

DA

MAVERICK!!!!