Tues night Falcon

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Tues night Falcon

Post by Hammer » 12 Nov 2004, 18:12

Anyone up for starting this regularly again?

I would like to do a Campaign...

I would like to try the new older version that comes in SP4.2, so post your preference to modern or older...

ANY way to convince Panzer and Jedi to get off of that LOMAC kick they are on??? :)
Helmut

Gator

Post by Gator » 12 Nov 2004, 20:06

I just installed 4.2 myself - it's not entirely stable for me yet. I need to experiment with some settings to make sure I can play it safely, but I'd be interested. The only problem i see with tuesday nights is how late you pac-time-zone folks start. I could probably stretch my time availability to 11pm Eastern.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Madrus

Post by Madrus » 13 Nov 2004, 12:03

i'm in.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master » 13 Nov 2004, 15:16

Panzer sold his copy of F4...oh, sometime during the Clinton presidency I think!

As for me, I quit playing the game about 2 weeks after the first realism packs came out, post-MPS shutdown.
So, I BARELY remember the original game, but I do not know all the changes made to the game with RPs/SPs/BMS/FFs whatever they've done to it 6 years later. I tried once a few years back and got totally lost trying to drop an LGB over a target--I couldn't get it to work because they'd completely changed the LANTIRN procedures from 1.08. When I got the bomb to drop and it missed by a mile, I quit the game. I spent another 30 minutes looking at the new docs, and saw I had to switch on the laser manually. :roll: I promptly uninstalled the game because F4 had gone from being fun to being work. I suppose I could've stuck to AA action only, but that was half the game. Since I was never happy with 1.08's modeling of weapons and things (super-deadly Su-27s, SAMs from hell, etc--the "hyper war" of Gilman Louie), I threw in the towel and only played Flanker 2 until LOMAC came out. I play a lot of games, and I'm not playing just F4 for a month or more so I can learn it.

I refuse to play a game that makes me feel like I'm working. I don't want a "study sim" that makes me have to "study." That was the me in high school and college. I don't have the time anymore.

However, if at some point I win the lotto and do not need to work 45 hrs a week anymore, I will then be happy to devote some of that free time to learning the "new" but IMHO hardly improved F4.
Unlike some of the Frugal's Fanatics, more complex does NOT equal better automatically to me.
The Jedi Master

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 14 Nov 2004, 21:41

Hmmm...I guess that is a NO! from Jedi. :D Jedi, I stick to A2A - because I suck at A2G... If I ever take a A2G mission in Falcon, I make sure I take JSOW's or some such other easy weapon. I would also say Falcon has become more of both types of game - study and survey. They have made the Falcon a more accurate representation of real life, and also succeded well at adding more planes in a realistic enough manner. If you concentrate on a few things at a time and get that down, it is not that difficult. It IS some amount of work to be good at it though.
Helmut

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master » 15 Nov 2004, 13:20

Well, I know they've added the ability to fly planes other than the F-16. When I last tried, I flew an A-10 once and wasn't impressed. Then I flew a B-1B and dropped like 80 Mk82s on an airbase...that WAS impressive. :)
I suppose if you stick to F-16 AA it's fine...but then the difference to LOMAC F-15C is much smaller. :?
The Jedi Master