dedicated server!

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

dedicated server!

Post by Hammer » 19 Jan 2005, 21:30

EDITED for new connection instructions

the dedicated server i.p. is posted in the servers forum.

for your falcon setup:

open f4patch, select the filter "ratty's recommended multiplayer..." from the filter pull down, then apply the filter down at the bottom right in f4 patch (where you usually click apply changes, it is actually a pull down and you can choose apply filter instead). if you need to reapply hardware settings afterwards, please do so (you might need to set the filter back to all - but do NOT reapply the filter, just click on apply changes at the bottom right). we will try this for a while, and then add enhancements slowly.

set your connection speed with the bandwidth switch in your shortcut properties. please use 60... your shortcut should look like:

C:\MicroProse\Falcon4\FalconSP.exe -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -bandwidth 60

everyone needs to do the same thing!!!

since falcon is the only game we play so far that has a real time campaign like this, i will leave it up and running unless we are going to use the server for something else. if you bring the server down to start another game, make sure you save the current campaign (just use the default name it recommends) before you exit the game. when you are done with the other game, please restart the campaign (remember to connect comms to server before starting the campaign) using that save point.
Last edited by Hammer on 01 Feb 2005, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 20 Jan 2005, 15:48

I almost misread the default filter apply part for the expanding of the f4patch 8O , just hope everyone else takes the time to read that properly.
Nice one on the server thing though. 8)

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 01 Feb 2005, 21:46

dedicated server back up...

please note the changes to connecting above!!!
Helmut

Grifter

Post by Grifter » 02 Feb 2005, 14:38

Followed your directions to connect above. I don't connect right away upon entering game. So I bring up comms type in ip and save it. Connected via comms pad. I look for TE and campaign but nothing. What am I missing? I applied the filter, but did not reapply the all filter, just changes like you said and inputted the new switch in the target inside the shortcut priorities. correct? thanks for your help.
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Grifter404/f16003sig.jpg[/img]
It's a good day to fly and any day you can fly is a good day.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 02 Feb 2005, 15:30

once you have the filter set in f4 patch, make sure you have the -ip and -bandwidth set in your falcon shortcut you use to start the game. start falcon with that shortcut. open comms, set it up with appropriate ip (in servers forum) leaving speed at 33.6 or 56 (won't matter). use the i.p. to connect to from the servers forum post, and make sure you are using internet.

connect... then close your comms window and go into campaign and check the online tab. give it up to 60 seconds to show up...

i just checked and server is running fine - Kodiak has been in twice.
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 02 Feb 2005, 16:54

Okay the important stuff, if you are problems remove the space in the switch between the word and the number.
Yes, I WAS on twice: first time I forgot to insert the filter, and CTD'd eventually. Second time around I managed to complete mission and was on the way back to base before I eventually CTD'd. But I DID connect and experienced no anomalies up to that point.

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 02 Feb 2005, 17:05

server is still up and running great...

i think as long as just the client ctd's, we have to attribute that to that particular client. one thing though is to remember to bring the server down and back up occasionally to reset its bandwidth monitor...it seems the server thinks it runs out of bandwidth when it actually does not.

also, need to make sure clients are running same as the server, stock sp 4.2 and nothing else. Kodiak, do you have such an install (without cockpits, etc?)? just to see if you continue to have ctd's...
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 02 Feb 2005, 17:18

" -bandwidth60"

not

" -bandwidth 60"

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 02 Feb 2005, 17:22

Yep, Steel, I am putting up a clean copy tonight as long as I get the chance. Should be fine though, it might very well be something stupid on my system, hopefully that will show up tonight with more guys coming online and the only issue will be with my set-up. Which is fine, as I intend to go for a format and re-install in the near future anyway. 8O

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 03 Feb 2005, 18:48

Bum deal!

Right now I am able to connect, and go all the way to the "2nd pie"in the loading screen process. I am then booted back to the debriefing screen, showing the mission still in progress. :?
And unless a mission already has a full allocation of pilots from the roster (not online pilots) then it will cancel the flight. Even if all slots are filled by online human pilots!! :?
Are there any adjustments to our previous set-up? i.e, ratty's filter apply or anything like that?

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 04 Feb 2005, 10:08

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=926434#post926434

Above is a link to a thread I have started at Frugal's with regards to the pilot/aircraft re-supply problem. Everyone intending on flying the server campaign, do please read this, and keep checking back to see if there has been any more input.
Steel, might it be worth us saving the campaign out every day or two, to see if this helps fix the problem? Lemme know what you think.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 04 Feb 2005, 17:11

Okay, I have managed to get into the mission today.
Mission 1: Began, as usual in the air. CTD'd as I was locked-up, but not sure by what?! SA-2 I think.
Mission 2: Began in the air again, in a vertical dive about 300 feet off the ground doing about 540Kts and climbing. Needless to say I didn't pull-out in time. Crashed. KIA.
Mission 3: Began again in the air, in a mild to steep dive - recovered at altitiude. Mission was already completed, no weapons or MLUs on wings! Only guns ammo available. headed for homeplate. l Bumped into iL-28s enroute, and decided to engage briefly with guns. Engaged by use of an Immelman manouever, and used up my guns ammo, damaging the iL-28. Turned and ran for home on minimal fuel, performing a textbook landing - first one of those in a while! 8) . Mission report stated that I had not hit any ground targets with my weapons (but I wasn't involved in that! LOL), and several guns hits on the iL-28, no kills. Might have seemed a pointless mission to most - but I managed to land, and very sweetly too. And further to that I didn't CTD, for once. :lol: