RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Fighter Ops (New Sim Coming)
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 6:17 pm 

I know Kodiak knows about this, it's on his list of games in another thread. I was pointed to this sim by DA and WOW!! If they can pull this off, it may just be the "be all" "end all" of Combat Flight Sims. From what I have seen so far (I signed up as an Area 51 member), it looks very very good. To the point where it makes Lock On look dated. Check out their web site and read about it here:

http://www.fighterops.com

A few of the features I am interested in are:

- Includes the following flyable combat aircraft: the A-10 Thunderbolt II, F-15 C&E Eagle and F-16 C&D Falcon.

- Model the spherical world to include the entire Earth, with hundreds of airports and their associated NAVAIDS.

They are also planning on having the ability to fly MP COOP in the same plane, ie. Pilot/WSO. I will be following this one closely, thanks for the heads up DA.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 6:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I thought this was like Falcon 5...a "maybe" that we may NOT ever see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 8:37 pm 

no, they are working on it.

i will never expect a be all and end all though. falcon is about as close as it gets, and it is not itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 9:50 am 
 WWW  Profile

Now thats taking it to another level(pilot/wso station manned in multiplayer coop), if this SIMM has the right stuff maybe we can look at pilot wso trainning and stuff. I am actually considering installing Falcon 4 once again so I can get myself up-to-date on my pit time in various aircraft(as if I was up-to-date when I was flying) but I do see great potential with Fighter OPS. Can you imagine somebody riding back seat with Raptorman up front trusting him with there very life. KAT get him back in the ring soon so he can be ready :lol: :roll: :twisted: .

They have briefly addressed the issue of a demo.
http://www.fighterops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2226
and for the same plane two players mp coop
http://www.fighterops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2229
DA

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 4:42 pm 

Well the ability to fly Pilot/WSO as a pair online MP is definitely what puts a smile on my face. For this type of sim, it's been a long time coming too. And we all knew it must be possible because Longbow modelled it, iL-2 models it. Personally speaking Falcon 4 needs to be looking at this in a future (if there are any) update, if thye are to extend it's life cycle for much longer - mind you that motivation lies only with the community as opposed to the game company/owner.
Now although it has been said they intend to do this as part of the game, I suspect even though it will definitely be a feature, it may not be an initial feature, or at least it will be one of the last parts to be dealt with before production. Certainly I could see that if it was down to getting the sim out, or delaying until this feature was included, they would probably distribute the sim without the feature until it was ready, and then provide it as an update. Read between the lines on this one from 16 162 Raven in that link:

Quote:
We cant wait and it has been on the fighter ops list of things to do from the begining. Trust me guys, it will be in the sim at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 7:11 pm 

No doubt this game has appeal. I'll be watching closely. However, as with all survey sims, I doubt it will live up to expectations because they will have to cut corners somewhere. Still probably worth checking out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 4:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

OMFG!!!! 8O

I will DEFINITELY be watching the space!! If it's a good as it appears to be!

CANNOT wait for the demo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:26 am 
 WWW  Profile

BTW, does anyone have the slightest clue about a release date?!?!?!

I haven't felt this eager since the 6 month wait till Halo 2! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:36 am 

i am guessing at least 18 months...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 1:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I want it even more now; I took a look at the different plane views that they offer, and I have never seen such sweetness in a sim aircraft before. I don't think even LOMAC compares!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 3:18 pm 

This, in my opinion, is where the future of military flight sims has got to be, not particularly FighterOps, but a new sim that breaks the mold and sets a new standard to be striven for by others. Falcon 4 is the current standard regardless of whatever guise it comes in, and has been for a few years already. JF/A-18, LU-MUX erm....LO-MAC, and several others all had their nice points, but ultimately failed to reach the sheer depth of Falcon 4 at the end of the day. But dare they fail in the MP department, they may very well sink as quickly as they rose! Who knows, eh?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 4:24 pm 

"sweetness in sim aircraft"...

tell me how that really matters with a closure rate of 800MPH plus? Do you really think you are going to actually get to glimpse those details???

while it might look nice on the taxiiway, it is just not going to matter that much in the air. what really needs to look top notch is the cockpit and the other landscape you see looking out of the cockpit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 6:19 pm 

Yes, you are right there. That sort of closure rate leaves very little importance on sheer detail of the model. However, I would think that on the runway, or minimal closure rates at close range (gun fights), low level ingress and so on there is plenty of opportunity to really enjoy the graphic spectacle of the sim. Switching detail levels through all this would allow for accomodation of both enjoyment, immersion and performance of the sim in real time.
In the near future, and certainly in the next 5 years I would guess, the graphic detail and quality will be so good and the performance of the hardware so high, that we will have little worry as to whether the sim or game will look nice whilst performing at exceptional standards. Getting to eat the cake so to speak. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 1:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi all,

I was surfing the forums and came across this link.
I want to thank you all for checking out our website and forums, and I hope you like what you see.
The last press release gives away more information on our approach for the first release.
And in the meantime we started with bringing out dev notes, from which #3 is up on the regular forums and the brandnew #4 is up on the Area51 forums.

Again thank you for your interrest and I will try and get in here once in a while to see how you all are doing.

Best regards,

Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
XSI
Vice President
pacman@fighterops.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

:shock: :shock: I can't believe you actually found us here! Wow, talk about unexpected. I wonder if Oleg will stop by our Il2 forum, or Valery by our LOMAC forum? :lol:

Anyway, we're all aware of how our little hobby is struggling, and Fighter Ops is pretty much the only new franchise on the horizon, so we're watching carefully. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 5:29 am 
 WWW  Profile

Hehe,

Well to be honest.
When I need a couple of minutes break from the excell sheets, PDF, Word, Visio and a whole other file types, I tend to type in a few keywords and try to find out how wide "the word" is spread. And read the comments.
In most cases I add that link to a specific map in my favorite folder to visit every now and then.

This is exactly what happend.

Anyway, thank you very much for your interrest in the project and for having faith in our team.

I hope you will enjoy what we will bring you.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:55 am 

Pacman,
Good of you to drop by... I am inpressed that ytou all take the time to explore the community.

If you can, take our comments back to development. We have a wide range of folks that have been playing combat sims for a long time, air, ground and space. We probably have a very good cross section of what is out there. And please, please don't blow coop and adversarial coop! While it may not be the large volume sales driver, it is folks like us that bring others into the gaming fold - and if we are not playing your game, we won't tell other folks about it. Falcon 4 and its mods did coop and eventually adversarial coop very very well. Join in progress is huge, as well as a mission (ala TE) editor, and an easy way to at least make small campaigns. Simulating soime type of ground war is huge as well - even if it is as simplistic (compared to Falcon 4) as IL2/PF.

I will go so far to say that when the time comes and you need MP testing, our group would gladly participate as beta testers. I have participated in closed, formal beta tests before so I do know what it takes. It is work, not just play...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 2:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Steel,

I won't go into too much detail yet, you'll find that the MP side of FighterOps will be very flexible and will include the options you mentioned.

The first MP options will be mainly the ones that come with the training side of our first release. As we go to the combat side of things, reading your post, I'm allready more then confident that you will not be dissapointed.

The mission editor from the first release, will grow into a campaign editor/ creator during the following releases, this is allready in the design.
The smoother the programming goes, the faster we will be able to get it in.

I would like to thank you for your support offer, the tester positions are allready well filled.
I'm sure that you allready know by visiting our boards, that we will consider any decent input by our customers after the release very valuable. We will analyse this input and bring it to good use.

Thank you very much for your interrest in Fighterops.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 4:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

We all know you can't please everyone by putting in every feature out there...I think it was Bill Cosby that said "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody". He's done well for himself, so I guess that bears listening to. :)

I will say that nothing is more frustrating for us than to find that flight sim Y goes trying to reinvent the wheel every time. You know, if it works why not use it? I don't know how much copyright extends to certain ideas or if it's just the "NIH" syndrome or what, but too often good ideas from sims are dropped when the next comes out in favor of something flashy that won't stand the test of time.

We don't want much, just a sim that will be around as long as F4 has. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2005 6:20 am 
 WWW  Profile

I absolutely agree that we cannot take everything into account that is being proposed on the forums Jedi Master.
That is why we will analyse the "requests" before taking action.

As for copyrights we are staying WAY clear of that. This is an area that is simply too complicated to mess with. The only code that we can use and are improving is the X-plane code we bought.
The rest is being build from the ground up keeping current and future technologies in mind.
Meaning that we allready prepare the codestructure in such a way that it will be easier to insert the new technologies without us always having to completely rewrite a whole structure of this code.

As for good idea's from other sims like modules etc, we allready did an extensive search to find good items in those and make sur we implement them into the design together with our own idea's. Improving them where possible.
It would be a bad move not to do this.

As for us being around.....we don't expect to leave and our bussines structure is setup in such a way that we are clear from a lot of burdens that have been obstructing other flight simulations, and that were generally the cause of their end for supporting the community and further development of that product.

Best,

Dirk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next