RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Fought Victory!!
PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2005 2:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Wow! My shoulders are killing me! I just spent an HOUR in a 4 v 4 battle over Cuba!
My flight was in F3H Demons vs MiG-15s. We had the missiles, they had the agility. In the end, we won 4-0, but half my flight used up all their ammo, guns too! A pair of 15s dropped to Sparrows (one by me), the other pair dropped to guns (again one by me).
The Demon is a DOG in the air, since it has a lower TW ratio than the 15 and can't turn as well. I personally evaded multiple streams of 23mm cannon fire, as did the rest of my flight, as well as ground-based flak over the Cuban airfield.

I fired 4 missiles, in 2 pairs since getting lined up for one is so hard. I was always too close for Sparrows or the wrong aspect for Sidewinders. I finally got one guy by ripple firing my Sparrows and got one hit. My AIM-9s got wasted...I ripple fired at another 15--one failed to track, the other angled in but he out-turned in. Since the Demon doesn't have a gyro-stabilized gunsight, deflection shooting is HARD. I had to wait for the guy to get on my wingman's six so he was flying relatively straight to get him.

Hooray for the forces of the USN! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec, 2005 8:23 am 

Yeah, I remember reading up on that recently. The F9F having real problems with the MiG-15 too at the beginning of the campaign. And the Navy commissioned the relevant aircraft company to modify an existing version of the F-86D or E Sabre for their benefit to combat that problem. I think the designation was FJ-3M.

Quote:
Soon after the Korean conflict began, the US Navy realized that its current front line fighters, the F9F Panther and F2H Banshee, were no match for the new MiG-15. The Navy wisely contracted North American Aviation to modify the superb F-86 Sabre for naval use, and the result was the FJ-2 Fury (the FJ-1 designation had already been applied to a completely different aircraft). The Fury was developed over the course of the 1950s into the FJ-3, represented here, and ultimately the FJ-4. Unlike the FJ-4, the FJ-3 is externally very similar to the F-86, and is well represented by Zur's F-86 model.
The 'M' in the aircraft's designation represents the ability to carry early Sidewinder AAMs. The FJ-3 is also equipped with four Mk12 20mm canon.

Above extract taken from the mod in SFP1 readme file.

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec, 2005 7:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think the F3H is actually a later plane than the F-86! However, it wasn't designed for the same role--this had missiles and radar from the start as far as I can tell. So all I can say is I'd likely have had an easier time in a Fury!

Down with the Demon! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec, 2005 8:13 pm 

my campaign was started with the f104. now for the period, that is a nice plane as far as i am concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:46 am 

I see that you guys are flying a campaign, but is that in the Korean mod or is that using the OTC mod? I thought OTC was more around the Vietnam era? It's the Cuban Missile Crisis OTC, right?

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 1:00 pm 

i am flying OTC, well I did. have not had time since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

OK what game is this, I am so itching for some dog fights in jets its unbelievable. No I do not want to play falcon, I want fighter ops. Hell I might pull out Lomac, NOT!!!!

DA

Fly Low Fly Hard Move MUDD!
If you can see it you can take it down!
MAVERICK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

daofcmacg wrote:
OK what game is this, I am so itching for some dog fights in jets its unbelievable. No I do not want to play falcon, I want fighter ops. Hell I might pull out Lomac, NOT!!!!

DA

I believe its Strike Fighters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 8:07 pm 

Too bad you dont' want to Falcon. It's about as real as it gets, but then dogfights are rare in Falcon for that same reason. They do tend to happen now and then, nonetheless. I can usually get into close range missle combat with mig-29's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yes, Operation Tainted Cigar was a mod for Strike Fighters Project 1. I've not flown it in quite awhile...I see this thread was started over 2.5 years ago!
Mostly I fly NATO Fighters 1/2 with my merged Wings over Vietnam/Wings over Europe install or Wings over Israel stock or First Eagles with the expansion. I play SFP1 far less often, although I have tons of mods and planes for it compared to the others.