Aircraft Dog Fighting Characteristics

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Aircraft Dog Fighting Characteristics

Post by Grifter »

EM charts would be great, I'm sure, but I wouldn't know how to read them. I'm not a math guy. If you find them useful and you have some on hand, feel free to post them. The purpose of this post is to provide brief summaries of blue and red force aircraft flight characteristics, specifically during BFM.

F/A-18: A boom and zoom fighter with high AOA. Bleeds energy like a siv in the turn, and therefore not an energy fighter. However, due to its high AOA, it can be wrestled to turn at near stall rates to get nose on inside the opponents bubble.

Some jets that you may be able to comment on: F-14B, F-5, F-16, MiG-21, MiG-29, SU-27, Ja-11, etc.

Please feel free to add.

Hammer

Re: Aircraft Dog Fighting Characteristics

Post by Hammer »

f/a-18 has lower thrust to weight ratio than say a f-16, even the erlier blocks of f-16. f-16 is able to maintain optimum corner speed far better than f/a-18. superhornet added some thrust, but it still did not match the falcon in thrust to weight ratio. the falcon is probably the best turn fighter in the sky during the time perods that DCS targets, but I am not sure how the jf-17 compares to it in that regard. there is a somewhat scientific comparison between all the fighters in the game regarding turn/dogfight capability that i have gone over, i will see if i can dig it up again and post it.
Helmut

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

The Hornet should perform better than we see it because of the DCS drag problem. This also has affected missiles and bombs and that's why they seem to perform so poorly. It's almost like the drag at altitude is the same as at sea level which is of course wrong, but even at SL it's too high.

In a clean bird with full burner you should not be able to wallow around above stall speed like so many of these planes in DCS will.

If your T/W ratio is over 1, that means you can accelerate in a vertical climb. NO plane in DCS will do this. Yet the MiG-29, Su-27, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, and others all can with lower fuel and small/no payloads in real life. At least they're all equally restricted, although I have seen things like the MiG-29 outclassing the F-15C where it shouldn't.
The Jedi Master

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

All very true. ED needs to fix those issues. But given what we have in-game right now I was hoping for more of a summary of fighter strengths weaknesses. So how would you sum up the F-16? Good turn rate and T/W ratio? I know it accelerates much more quickly than the 18, practically recovering energy right away. Does it behave that way in DCS? how about the MiG-29? F-5? and so on.

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I am struggling with how the F-16 handles right now. I expected it to fly like a lighter Hornet, but it seems to fight me in changes to pitch and yaw. It's definitely lighter and climbs much better, but I need more time to get used to it.

I haven't flown most of the red airplanes in ages aside from a little time in the 21 and Ka-50.
The Jedi Master