CW Lemoine flies the MiG-21

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

CW Lemoine flies the MiG-21

Post by Hammer »

He is hilarious, just watch the first 10 minutes if nothing else.

Helmut

Hammer

Re: CW Lemoine flies the MiG-21

Post by Hammer »

watching that has made me decide I will not try t take you all on in the MiG-21. i am already at a technological disadvantage in the MiG-29, SU-27 and even the J-11A (radar quality/capability and missile range).
Helmut

Hammer

Re: CW Lemoine flies the AV-8B N/A

Post by Hammer »

also the Harrier:

I do not have time to watch this right now, but will later. If it is like the MiG-21 it will be entertaining. :)
Helmut

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I think it really depends on what people are flying, but yes the MiG-21 would required some real skill to fly against someone in a jet as advanced as the F/A-18. It would be a challenge even against the F-14, but not impossible. A better matchup would be against the Mirage, perhaps. The Harrier?

Edit: The one thing I've noted about LeMoine is that he claims to be an author. If you read the reviews of his books on Amazon.....yeah...he is not an author.

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

"Is this the button? .......Nope."

Gator

Post by Gator »

his books are miltiary pulp - nothing wrong with that. ;-)
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

meh...blah....I prefer better pulp like Tom Clancy or Stephen Coonts. I'm intrigued by Kevin Miller's work which can be found here. I might pick up some of his work and read it. Supposed to be pretty good.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

you must remember Grifter's perspective on literature. ;)
Helmut

Gator

Post by Gator »

of course I do. That's why I didn't argue the point. ;-) But sometimes you need a few pages of pulp. It's definitely NOT up to Clancy or Coonts's level. They're a much higher class of pulp.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

The Hornet was designed to outclass the 21 and 23, so it's not surprising that it does.
The Harrier can fight enemy air, but it shouldn't. Not the NA variant we have, anyway. The 8Plus with AN/APG-66 and 120s, sure.

The CONOPS for most of these planes was to have top cover of friendly fighters that specialized in A2A while strat-level ADA threats were taken out by yet other specialized planes.

A Harrier NA wouldn't realistically be given a mission to fly into double-digit SAM-protected territory with 4th gen Russian birds out patrolling for them. It would have Eagles or Hornets tackling those, and the SAMs would be hit with cruise missiles or HARMs or whatever from other sources.

Also, remember that for many of these planes, they have NEVER actually flown in combat as they thought they might have. Iraq, Syria, Balkans, etc...we always had air superiority. Fighters out looking to pick a fight and pouncing at once. Our stuff only had SAMs and AAA to worry about, and they were often suppressed successfully as well.

We don't KNOW how a total air war scenario in central Europe or Asia might have gone. It's quite possible the USMC could see half its Harriers lost in a single week.
The Jedi Master