11 Aug 2003 NBT ELH vs OA - Recon in the snow

Belly up to the bar, grab your favorite drink and listen to stories about the universe we play in. Be ready for some trash talkin' too, because we know what alcohol can do... This is the ROLE PLAY forum, tell your war stories, brag about your kills and victories, and lament about your defeats. Everyone is welcome but you must register first to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Firemane

11 Aug 2003 NBT ELH vs OA - Recon in the snow

Post by Firemane » 11 Aug 2003, 21:29

I don't have time for details, but I am happy to report that ELH won the Recon initiated against OA tonight. We had to go 4 vs. 4 due to low turnout (hint hint). Crick, Veg, Puft and I represented ELH. Veg was the shining star with 2 kills, and he finished off the last remaining OA mech. It was close, they lost all 4 and we lost three.

<S>

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA » 12 Aug 2003, 11:21

Our lance went out for a standard recon of the area. We had landed a few days before with no resistance, but have to keep an eye out. Just make sure you pack some hot coffee, its rather cold out there, and even the heat form standard running of a mech was not enough to keep us worm. This was good news for a fight, but right now was just a pain. Started out in the northern heading at 270 for a while, checking as we creased any hilltop. We knew there was some recon forces around, but not sure quite were. After hitting the edge of our assigned quadrant, we headed south for a while, just looking around getting bored. Thinking to myself that it would be nice to shoot a few trees, would give me some warmth up here in the cockpit, but we where not alowed to fire, or hell have radar on as it could give us away.

About ½ way down the quadrant, we took a left, heading west now towards the center of the quadrant. At this point the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand on end, something was in the area, I just knew it. Cricket in his dragon lead us on to the center of the area, and called us to a stop. Through the fog, we could just make out 1 mech on a small hill doing scans, a hellhound. He had to have friends in the area, but we did not want to be seen right now. If we could work behind them it would be much better, so we started off again towards the west stooped and started looking again. The Hellhound was again scanning for us on another small hill, but we also caught sight of a jumping scat. Se sat there not moving hoping they never saw us again but this time, they got lucky and spotted Crickets dragon. But they where not set up to take us at this point so they where still a little surprised at us. Cricked called a charge but was already a little ahead of the other 3 of us, me in my wolf, Puft in a wolf, and Firemane in his dragon. Cricket was taking heavy fire now for all 4 of their mechs, including the newly spotted BW and Uzi. The hellhound was still separated form the others so we pounced on him like a dog hitting its favorite chew toy. In close using concerted firepower dropped him pretty quick, but cricked paid for it with some critical hits to his mech. We then moved to hit the other 3 mechs who where hitting us from medium range on a hillside. Not far enough though that we could not hit them with our mass of shot range weapons. The uzi was the next target, losing a torso fast to concentrated lazier fire.

2 down, but by this point Cricket was out of it, having to eject before his engine went critical. Talk about a cool fire works show. Our other dragon was also banged up a lot but still fighting. I started calling over the com to take out the bushwacker; it had short-range weapons and would be the most deadly. The scat for some reason was jumping like mad meaning he was not able to hit us as much as the BW. That and the scat was set up for long range, so again even harder to hit us. Dam these Bw’s got armor, come on keep it up we got to drop him. But unfortunately before we could he got the other dragon, now 1 damaged wolf, and my mostly good condition wolf against this scat. This could be tough, except the scat kept jumping. That straight line he made in the air made him one hell of an easy target for us with little return fire. But after he landed, Puft in a really beat up wolf got a little to close and got shot up, forcing him to eject. But the critical explosion damaged the scat a lot taking out a leg we had already shot up and a left torso. 2 more well placed shots and the scat ended up on the ground, no longer able to get up.

That was to close, doing a radio check, found us all alive, just down 3 mechs. But the good news was that the scat was salvageable as well as Firemane dragon. Called for a salvage and evac team as well as some support just incase there was any more unfriendly mechs in the area. But that was very unlikely. There was only 1 leopard class drop ship spotted moving in the area, and to get that thing to carry more then 4 mechs takes a lot of gutting, but it can be done. Hopefully by the time we get back to base camp, the black ops team well have all the info they can squeeze from this ice ball, and we can head out.

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva » 13 Aug 2003, 07:48

There was a drop on the 11th? Last one I heard about was on the 9th...

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA » 13 Aug 2003, 09:28

That one got re scedualed, as well they where no shows. And that sort of thing

Firemane

Post by Firemane » 13 Aug 2003, 16:00

Veg,

Nice work! I was working on a story of that too, but you were way ahead of me. Your recollection matches mine, except for the obvious difference in perspective. However, I was in the Wolfhound and Puft had the Dragon. I'll go ahead and share what little I started though I might finish it later. I have a couple of screenshots from the fight but I don't think they are anything that folks would be dying to see. Well, here it is...

The cold, grey light of Quatre Belle gradually illuminated the compartment as the dropship’s bay doors opened. Two high-shouldered Dragons become visible, both facing me from across the narrow space. The maw of Crickett’s LBX 20 looks particularly menacing as it points directly at me. The retaining clamps release his mech with a loud clang and the Dragon stomps towards me with a ring of the metal grate floor. The mech’s upper torso spins crisply to the right. As it gazes out across the arctic terrain, I can see the droplets of icy water begin to bead on the mech’s canopy. The voice comm line sizzles for a second, and we can hear Crickett’s disparaging thought .”Great…just f---king great”.

Firemane

Post by Firemane » 09 Oct 2003, 21:12

I wrote a little more to this one so I thought I would post what I had completed. It's a little old news by now, though.

The cold, grey light of Quatre Belle gradually illuminates the compartment as the dropship’s bay doors opened. Two high-shouldered Dragons become visible, both facing me from across the narrow space. The maw of Crickett’s LBX 20 looks particularly menacing as it points directly at me. The retaining clamps release his mech with a loud clang and the Dragon stomps towards me with a ring of the metal grate floor. The mech’s upper torso spins crisply to the right. As it gazes out across the arctic terrain, I can see the droplets of icy water begin to bead on the mech’s canopy. The voice comm line sizzles for a second, and we can hear Crickett’s disparaging thought .”Great…just f---king great”.

The comm hisses again and the obnoxious chuckle of the dropship copilot cuts in..."Gentlemen, gentlemen, you should enjoy the late summer weather here on the 'Belle. Before this heat wave, this place was under the usual four feet of fresh snow. Met report says it's gonna change soon though." "Just lovely", I replied. The co-pilot cut back in "Yeah, and all the melt has made for some pretty soft ground, so watch your step ladies." Crickett's sigh was audible over the channel.."OK, people , let's move. Quicker we get this done, the quicker we get off this rock."

The rest of the retaining clamps open with a clang, and I move my Wolfhound behind Crickett. My gauges and readouts all in the green, all eight lasers reporting charged and ready. I feel the floor shake as Veg pulls his Wolfhound into our lineup. Another set of heavy vibrations tells me that Puft's Dragon is ready to go. Cricket launches his Dragon out of the bay doors and I gun the Wolfhound to follow. Cricket heads north down the long, shallow valley, his Dragon's feet tearing up thick, sloppy pieces of earth with each stride. I briefly focus on the rear-facing camera display that’s projected into my neurohmelmet’s face shield. Veg’s Wolhound is pacing me about 100 meters back with Puft bringing up the rear. The intense flare of the dropship's drives are barely visible coming down into the top of the picture- those aerojocks didn't waste any time to dust off. The searing roar of their takeoff is just audible over the pounding of my Wolfhound's feet.

The dropships’s departure leaves us alone and 100 km south of our target – the metallurgical complexes and Mech assembly plants located at the foot of the Quatre Mountains. We’re supposed to observe these facilities and their defenses, and to collect as much imagery and signals intelligence as we can. Crickett designed this force to be light and fast moving, but capable of inflicting serious short-range damage. His idea was to make short work of any OA force that we might blunder into before they get word out of our presence. We’re not here to assault the target or engage in any long-range sniping duels. Get in fast, get the intel and get out before we get trapped. That’s the idea.

The terrain surrounding us is a mixture of long ridges and isolated hills separated by gentle to moderately sloped valleys. The groundcover alternates from wet snowbanks to areas of dull green lichens, dormant grasses and dark stone. The few trees I can spot are few and far between. Crickett angles down toward the center the valley, and soon ends up in a wild skid. Thick rolls of mud curl from beneath the Dragon’s feet as he turns tightly left toward the higher ground. The rest of us decrease speed and shift left to avoid the muck. Crickett’s Dragon gets a foot onto firmer ground and launches itself back up the slope. We fall in behind him again, torsos rotated to face the far end of the valley as we climb up the hillside.

We follow Crickett for over an hour, winding a path along the ridges and between hilltops. The higher ground still seems to be frozen or at least rocky enough to support our running speed. We stay tight to the ridges for cover and cross over them only at saddles to minimize silhouetting ourselves against the gray sky. When we meet the end of a ridgeline, we make fast dashes across the open ground until we find firmer ground and better cover.

I glance at my control panel and note that the outside temperature was falling, now just barely above freezing. The cooling air is turning the light mist into fog. I find myself hoping that the lowered visibility would help us get past any OA defenses. But scouting the target might get complicated. The surrounding ridgelines and hill tops are starting to look indistinct and a lot more ominous than they were when we first landed. A glance in my rear view camera shows that Puft is tracking the ridgeline across the valley with his light gauss. It looks like I’m not the only guy here that’s starting to get nervous.

A wavering tone sounds in my headset and my comm panel shows the incoming transmission. I jump when loud static pours into my headset and then my comm system automatically adjusts the volume and screens out some of the noise. A clear, female voice filters through. “Skylight to Stampede…Skylight to Stampede”. Skylight is our friend high in the sky, a lone ELH recon fighter scheduled to make one high attitude pass over the entire northern half of the continent. She’s got that dreamy, aerojock tone on…I can almost see her cocky smile and mirrored face shield as she looks down at us grunts from her high, sunny perch. Stampede is the designation for the four ELH recon teams scheduled to reach their objectives at roughly the same time. Skylight was to take one last look for OA forces in the field that might interfere and give us any sensor data that might help plan our approach. We’re supposed to remain silent and receive Skylight’s data, then pick the best route to the target. My comm panel chimes as the download completes. The computer begins to decrpyt Skylight's present. Her job is done now. Her toughest decision now is whether it'll be a latte again or a mocha this time.

I startle again when Skylight cuts in once more. “Mustang Three... Mustang Three”. Same clear voice but a little more tight this time. Besides there weren’t any plans to address the individual lances unless... Wait. Mustang Three? That’s us. “Mustang 3…I have trade for you. Repeat. I have trade for you. Skylight out”. The intel panel starts to scroll a decrypted map across the screen. The static cuts off and the inside of my cockpit seems very quiet now, even with the pounding of the Wolfhound’s feet.