RLGaming.com

RLGaming's Forums
It is currently Mon 18 Dec, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 6:48 pm 

I have the Saitek X52 standard, Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals and Track IR3 Pro.

Track IR takes some getting used to but now I would not and cannot fly without it except in Falcon 4. I find the head lock is better in a close dogfight in Falcon, but in IL2, Lomac and Janes F-18 it's a definite must have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:10 am 

Hooked up my X-52 last night, not so sure I like it. It's a little bigger than I expected, and there's almost too many buttons on it, lol (I'll never remember them all). The stick is very loose (Almost too loose, is the spring there for looks? ), not sure I like that. I may have to adjust the dead zone on it a bit so I don't have to hammer the stick to it's extremes to make a simple turn or roll. I tested it in F4:AF, everything seemed to work as it should, I only setup a few options in the F4 Setup screen, not the STT programming software.

My only other real gripe is the length of the USB cable. The Throttle piece has the USB cable attached to it, and it sits on the left side of my desktop. My PC sits on the floor under the right side of my desk. If it wasn't for my side mounted USB ports on my PC case, the cable would not reach. Even so, the cable is stretched to the max limit and the Throttle piece isn't where I would prefer it to be. I may end up keeping my TGABII HOTAS after all. (Sorry Grifter). I might see about getting a USB extension cable and see if that will help with the X-52 Placement on the desktop.

I'll give it some more time, but I just don't know if I am going to like this HOTAS as much as I do my TGABII HOTAS.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:47 am 

ya liek I said before the x52 has a week spring, the one in the pro is stronger but still week compared to others and size also there. I will note you can adjust the stick so your hand is higher on it if you did not realize.

Now apparently there is a mod out there to put more tension on the spring to help out. But most people online seam to not like the spring at first then get use to it and enjoy it.

as for buttons if you use the programing profile thing you can rint out the prodife and have it in front of you but to be honest I love the amount of buttons. Hell for lockon there is 2 modes now one for flight including landings and such the flip to other mode and its combat buttons now lol. works out great.

but yes the biggest complaint is the spring on your model and I told you that before. But hey give it a bit and see what happens it will msot likelay become second nature. and let me see if I can find that spring mod

O here it is
http://f16-viper.com/x52.html

But ya the size I thought it was big but after 15 min on it the size never bothered me I can reach every button without stretching fingers, hand feals right on the throtel and the stock once it was adjusted it was fine. But ya reason I never bought the one you had years ago is tried it in stores and thought spring was to week. But do that mod and see what happens, and the mod is very easy/basic

Now get online tonight and can help ya with the profile stuff. And hey did your track IR arrive yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:26 am 

Cheep prices on CH Products stuff
http://www.provantage.com/~110CHPU1.htm

cheepest I have seen if anyone is interested. I am happy with my kit so hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 1:31 pm 

Received my TrackIR4 Pro and my Motorola Bluetooth DJ headphones today. (Thank you Newegg.com! )

I'm going to use the BT headphones and a BT USB adapter with my PC for wireless comms and sound while gaming. They are pretty solid, I opened the box and they look and feel like a high end headset should. I'm happy so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 1:38 pm 

i want a review of them later today lol. I wll be online alter so can help ya with track ir since I just did it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 1:52 pm 

I have school tonight, but if you are still on after I get home I'll talk to you then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 2:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have a USB extension/hub that I use for all my sticks/wheels for that very reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:07 pm 

Jedi,
if you are interesteed in either of the setups i have let me know if you want to trade your Cougar...and what is wrong with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 7:07 pm 

That X52 mod does look easy and worth trying, but i have gotten used to the light spring action of my X52 now, but I think Saitek were reacting to the complaints they got about the X45.

The Spring was a lot stronger on that but after a lot of usage the stick tended to get sticky and you would end up having jerking control movements which are no use in a fighter jet when trying for that guns Kill or lining up those small adjustments on the run in for a bomb drop. Most people just lubed the underside of the cup that held the bottom of the spring in place every now and then, same one the X52 has.

So i think Saitek reacted to this by giving the X52 a lighter spring and therefore a smoother movement, but went a little to far.

My first impression when using my X52 was Wow that is very light, but compared to my battered X45's stiff and unprecise movements it was a lot better, but yes could have been stronger but i have got used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2008 2:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Steel, you have Saitek stuff right? I'm not interested in those, just the CH stuff that's Cougar-equivalent. The Fighterstick and Pro Throttle or whatever they're called. Costs just over $100 for each piece on Amazon, not counting rudder pedals which I'd also have to buy because CH doesn't support using my old gameport pedals. So, in short I could've bought the combined 3 pieces for around $350, but I instead spent $300 for just 2.
My trouble with the Cougar is, compared to my older FLCS/TQS set, it's made from better materials but is made more poorly. All metal instead of all plastic is good. However, after over a year of use the stick feels, well, loose. It sort of rocks around the center. It can move enough to make the pots activate. Imagine a 4-legged stool on an uneven surface rocking back and forth a bit and you get how the stick moves.
Then the antenna knob isn't properly centered and unlike the TQS you can't calibrate it to center it. The center of the pot range is not where the detent is. Plus, the detent can't really be felt unless you PULL on the knob while rotating it, and if you push in at all the pot registers nothing when you move it.
I feel like I went from driving a 10 yr old Toyota to a Porsche put together by drunks. :( It was fine the first 6 months I had it, but now...wobble wobble goes the stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2008 9:04 pm 

yes - saitek.

i was considering the ch stuff, but not sure. cougar or ch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 6:37 am 

Steel every single person I have known who got a cougar wished they didnt after a year. If you want to add $300 for all new digital pots, and soldier them in yourself, Ask Crickett how much fun that is. Last I looked the Uber-Cougar kits from downunder were in the $500 range and you had to send them a virgin cougar setup....as in new in the box......and it was a 2 month backlog. The uber-cougar uses a custom machined gimbal that uses roller bearings and reinforces a lot of stuff...but last I looked was when IL2:FB came out.

After 5 years of use my CH stuff feels just like it came out of the box new.

Now....if you can find the old "Foxxy" conversion boards....I still have my old FLCS and TQS....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:10 pm 

i have exactly that right now... the f22 pro and tqs with the swf22 upgrade...

problem is gameports are not going to be around very long, it may get killed with my next upgrade. maybe i should keep an eye out for good prices on the ch stuff.

BTW - Gator has had no issues with his cougar...

do you remember how MW4 would crash when going into the 3d world with a 32 button setup???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:58 pm 

Steel

http://www.provantage.com/~110CHPU1.htm

Best pricess I have seen on ch products stuff. Posted already but figured post it agian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 6:41 am 

well if you are going with a cougar Fugals World is the place to find all the fixes and mods....not sure on prices...

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/mods.php#nxt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 11:29 am 
 WWW  Profile

Steel,
Correct - I have been very happy with my cougar. However, I don't fly as much as most folks who have more problems with it. I'm sure that is a factor. The more you use it, the more it wears. With the amount of flying I do, it works well. I also wonder if there were different levels of quality on the various production runs - mine was a pre-order, original batch. I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a simpler setup, but everytime I use it, it's just so natural where my hands land on both parts, I instinctively know where all the buttons are and what they do. Between my original F22/TQS setup and the cougar, I've been using the same control layouts for ten years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 7:48 pm 

yeah - i may just stick with the f22/tqs (which i got from Gator - so that tells you the quality of them...) until i have to change, and keep an eye out for great deals on the ch stuff and just have them in reserve if/until i need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 8:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

well, i took pretty good care of that F22/tqs ... i still have my functioning flight stick from CH from like 1993 ... 2 buttons and a throttle wheel. Wheeee!

Post subject: Re: Post your Flight setup
PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 10:25 am 

Since you guys are all talking about upgrading. If any of you upgrade and have an old Hotas system you want to part with for a reasonable amount let me know, have always wanted a system like these, but never seem to have the cash for one. PDT_Armataz_01_22