Video Card Died

Post your stuff for sale or trade, or if you are looking to buy something. RLGaming takes no responsibility for any transactions made - use your best judgement when dealing with people.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

daofcmacg

Video Card Died

Post by daofcmacg »

Alright guys, the fan on my Video Card died and now I am on the hunt for a new one. Now I haven't kept up with cards so I need you guys help in choosing the right one. I am looking at tigerdirect and I've found several that I want your opinions on.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1558

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Brand.aspx? ... 9&name=XFX

Each one of these cards are under $100 so I am wondering how much play can I get out of them? Of course I am about to do my research but a 9500 is a step up from the 7600. So weigh in and give me some options.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I think I'm going to go with the fourth one. It comes with COD4 and COD5 (anybody want the COD4 I have it already).

DA
Falker

Post by Falker »

Wait!!

Check this out , maybe this fan will work with yours.

Here is the main fan page for fans. Also click around a bit. They have some nice prices there. I just got me the 680W Power supply with duel fans. Believe you me , you just cant beat that price.

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=FAN

And here is a few NVIDIA GeForce GPU fans.

(1) http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CH-RD&cat=FAN

(2) http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CH-AD&cat=FAN

(3) http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... AN&cat=FAN

I got me that first one. That G-force 1GB 9500.

I also just ordered a few extra case fans to try and keep my GPU from running hot and burring out prematurely. That’s what happened to my last card BTW , which was an ATI X1650.

I got me a another card to replace it ,.. A G-Force 9400 512mb. But it started crashing while I was playing First Encounter Assault Recon on medium settings. That was the reason why I ordered me up another G-Force card. ( the 1gb 9500) I manage to control the temps in my computer case for now as long as I don’t play longer than 30 minutes. I’ll keep my 9400 512mb for a back up. Right now I’m going to leave the GF-9500 1gb in there. I’ve worked them both off an on doing some testing , and the GF-9500 1GB does look sweeter in gaming.

I should get my 2 case fans within a day . They run at 2700 rpm with ball bearings an should make an improvement. I’ll put one on the front of the case , and another on the rear for an exhaust fan. And It’s not even Summer yet!! Whoa , I hope this will get the job done. Hope this will fix it , otherwise I will haft to get me a new motherboard and a whole new set up to boot. I don’t have any intensions of quitting gaming yet so I’m always thinking ahead.

I’d like to believe that having a Large ASUS motherboard helps out allot , because I never had this problem before with my old system. I paid about a buck fifty for a sweet ASUS mother board (with AGP slot) and it just ran beautiful... This last year I paid just 50 for a cheaper ASUS mother board that gave me a PCI-E slot and there in lays my problem. Now I can get newer Graphics cards for less , but I still think I’d need an ASUS power horse motherboard to back it up. Because now , I’m running high temps allot more than usual. I makes sense to me. I wonder if that computer know it all Iron man Steel aka Hammer will tell me why . :)

Yeah , I don’t want to burn out my GPU like I did my last one so….I use Speed Fan to keep checking my computer Temps. It freeware.. Check it out , it’s cool. And for Free!

Cons: It wont work with old computers that don’t have sensors on the main components. But your not running an old computer are you?

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
We're in the pipe , five by five.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

No this is a newer computer, built to run Vista almost two years old. I am going to buy a new card but I will look into getting a slot fan to fit right next to it. I don't know how long the machine was running with the fan GPU fan down, I gave it the smell check and nothing but I am getting no video. This is an excuse for me to buy a new card but I will beef up with one of the PCI slot fans to put right next to it.

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Well I decided on this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... etailspecs

Its only at warehouses but I can go in the store and order without paying the shipping charges.

DA
Falker

Post by Falker »

That looks tight. Did it get good reviews?

Most computer components I order online come form about 30 miles away and it gets here to my house within a day.. maybe 2 at the most.

Good luck with your new GPU . I hope it suites your needs. I installed my new case fans today and played F.E.A.R. on high settings. It ran nice and I played it for about an Hour this time. I would hit Alt/Tab a few times during the game to get back into my desktop and check out my temps.. According to Speed Fan my GPU only got up to 47c.. this time. I think I can deal with that…

Im going to order me one of them PCI slot fans too. I've been thinking about it for awilie now.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

When I am back up and running I will definately install that program and I don't know its a refurb for 69 bucks, this is a temp. fix until I can save the money for a better one. I didn't think to check the reviews but I am looking now, also I am partial to XFX products. How many case fans did you put in anyway? After what happened with this GPU I will always have a slot fan right next to it to aide in pulling heat from the card. Again I did the burnt smell check and nothing so I'm wondering if the card is still good but then again its a 7600. I can always replace the fan and put it into my test server and see how it performs.

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I went to Tigerdirect and found something even better than what I was looking at which is a refurb model. A XFX 9600GSO 756MB card for just ten bucks more. It also came with Company of Hero's and a program that monitors system performance.

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Well it looks even worse than I thought. Still would not show video, and now I noticed that one of my DVD drives is dead as a doorknob. I think the motherboard (MB) took a bad hit from a power surge we had in my area before a big storm. Everything else looks fine so far. I am taking my HDD in to work today to look it over and see whats what and who's who with it. This couldn't come at a worse time. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem besides the obvious (start replacing parts and see what happens). The no video issue is definately MB related, I just hope everything else is alright. FYI there is onboard video and that will not do anything, I'm kinda worried that the box will not post, after I check the HDD at work I am going to create a boot disk and see what happens then but again video is still not working so it has to be the MB.

DA
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm sorry to hear that DA. I recently had my Geforce 8800 GTS die on me. The memory went bad.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

It happens, but I am also looking at barebone kits as well at tigerdirect. I am going to checkout some other places for kits and see whats out there. My first one will be simple but as time goes by I will definately work my way up to something cool as hell.

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

An update to my situation. I do believe that its my Motherboard so now I get the opportunity cut my fat fingers while replacing it. This is one of those situations where I hate being that guy. I tried the processor (I bought a cheap socket 775 celeron 1.6 for 40 bucks to see if that worked and it didn't). Its been so long since I dealt with a problem like this that I didn't even consider the processor even though the GPU still kicked the bucket. Hell the processor and the MB maybe bad.

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Well I have to replace my MB and CPU. By the way please everyone do not stumble over yourselves trying to be the first to put a reply to this post. Yes I am being sarcastic, you guys can post to this to you know.

DA
Softball

Post by Softball »

Sorry to hear that DA. Hopefully you can get things back up and running again soon.

What is the system you have now anyway? What MB? What CPU? You said Celeron above, but which one? Maybe it's time for a complete upgrade if you can swing it. The Quad cores are quite affordable now, along with the Core 2 Duo series.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Guys you know I was joking right about no one posting? Well anyway it was said and I didn't mean it the way it sounded. OK, I do know what the problem is actually (Falker I did not know you were a trucker, stop your ass in Chicago sometime and say hello). Its either the Processor Dual Core 1.86 (one of the low end models) or the MB MSI standard MATX board nothing special about it but video went out and I bought a 9600 GSO but video was still down along with one of my DVD drives which gets its power from the same rail as the other DVD drive (I was having problems with that one anyway). HDD spins up but no video and I do believe the post happens, onboard video is down as well, I did not disable onboard in BIOS and I played around with the rail hookups to see if maybe one could be out, also I have a 500W antec smartpower 2.0 push and pull dual fan.

Now the celeron processor was used as a test module (40 bucks) to see if its the processor, but when I took my processor out I noticed the pins looked like they were extremly bent or something happened to them indicative to something going wrong and now I know I need to replace the MB and I decided to do the processor as well since they are in direct contact with each other. Again I do not believe its the rails or lack of enough power but I will find out soon enough when I purchase the MB and Processor. I guess I wanted more responses like the other post when people have computer problems. Alot of people viewed this but only falker really interacted and Steel, I really expected to get his two cents (which I respect and welcome all the time) I know he loves to solve computer problems.

I know I don't interact with you guys all that much anymore and I might be an outsider to a certain degree (this is not a racial stab alright guys), but sometimes I feel like I'm not included or belong. Now that that girly moment is over get back to doing what you do.

DA
Softball

Post by Softball »

I know I don't interact with you guys all that much anymore and I might be an outsider to a certain degree (this is not a racial stab alright guys), but sometimes I feel like I'm not included or belong. Now that that girly moment is over get back to doing what you do.
DA, come on man. In no way have you been thought of as an "outsider." As a matter of fact, you are a big part of a lot of our gaming sessions, whether you are there or not. When someone doesn't hit "ready" to start a game, we almost always say "Hit Fly DA." You have more or less become a part of the lore in the RLG gaming group. Lol!

Just get your sh*t fixed and get back into the gaming loop with us, it's all good.
Last edited by Softball on 05 May 2009, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I fully concur with what Softball said!! DA, when you show up, you definitely spice up and enliven the gaming evening. :-)
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Well I'm glad to hear that I think? You guys just don't know how that makes me feel right now. My doctor is scheduling me for some nasal cavity work, he will be removing a mass from that area and biopsy it. I expecting a great outcome but preparing myself for the worse. Its never a good feeling when your doc calls you after he gets the results for the cat scan and says be in my office tomorrow for the follow up.

DA
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I concur with others here DA. DA= RLG. nuf' said.

Sorry I haven't responded to this posting but I figured I best let the "experts" handle the computer questions. Now if you want to talk air combat tactics or Shakespeare, I'm your man. Good luck with the refurb or new purchase, whichever you choose.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well.. Did you get the computer up and running? What was the Dealio?