MW5 Mech Appeal

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker939

MW5 Mech Appeal

Post by Falker939 »

Maybe it’s just me , but I can’t get over how boxy and ugly the MW5 - and - Battle Tech Mechs are. They look like something you would find on some back water planet in the outer regions of the Inner Sphere. Mostly controlled by pirates with low tech - piecing they’re salvaged Mechs together with whatever they can find laying around. They look nothing at all compared to Clan Mechs , which I believe appear very sleek and more advanced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Falker939

Re: MW5 Mech Appeal

Post by Falker939 »

MW4 Mechs have more going for them , and it doesn't hurt your eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

they are supposedly more advanced.
Helmut
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Robot Jox Mechs are more appealing.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

I was looking around for other robot games out there to compare with the MW5 Mechs - and I came across Titanfall 2014 - it’s looking really interesting – worth a try, and I bet it can be played with a mouse.

YouTube :

Steam:
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

A few years later they came out with Titanfall 2 - The graphics are a bit rich but you might adjust to it – I see this is also on Steam.

..and Titanfall 3 is in the making
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

So far I’m liking Titanfall – of course you will need to go through the training before you can play the game because there are so many jump moves you need to know about. Plus there are smart weapons that can shoot two enemy targets at once. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. What’s more ‘ The Mechs have Jump Jets that allow you to slide from side to side - just like in MechWarrior 2 , and the sound effects are pretty cool. Although after the training simulation there is nothing left to do but go online to play. However, There are no online hosted games that I can find out there - and you will need to have a friend to join your hosted game before it begins. Beyond that Titanfall does not have a single player campaign so I’m left with nowhere to go..

So I would say this game is a wash … But Wait! I see that Titanfall 2 , has become much more popular with 93% positive reviews – And there is also a single player campaign to sharpen your skills so I’m heading over there next – just as soon as Steam refunds my Titanfall (1) purchase. :)
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Any game without single player missions and a campaign is a fail for me. Let us know how Titanfall 2 is! I'd be interested to hear, although I have no time whatsoever to play online right now.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Mech Warrior 5 Review

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries provides you a Leopard dropship with a fully detailed MechBay to explore in a first-person perspective. It’s essentially your base of operations, but it’s so lifeless and dull that you’ll ignore it.

There is absolutely no incentive to explore your MechBay, outside the occasional screenshot. Simply click the Tab key, and ta-freaking-da, there is the entire menu UI with everything you need. Which, is exactly what most people will do once they load back on to their ships: click Tab and forget the MechBay even exists. It’s such a damn shame, because it could have been an awesome base of operations.

https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/m ... es-review/
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

The Verdict

Quote: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is an imperfect game. It makes a terrible first impression, but given time proves itself a belligerently fun experience. It’s story is lackluster, and your dropship as a base is an unquestionable disappointment, but touring around the Inner Sphere taking on more harrowing contracts is a delight once you press beyond Act I. Watching your MechBay expand with increasingly powerful mechs, and witnessing your armory become a proper arsenal as your war chest expands is a compelling reason to continue playing.

This core loop is bolstered by mech combat that is both engaging and satisfying. I’d lob LRMs across the map into the face of an enemy Catapult as I dodged their volley, before pivoting my torso to lay waste to the tanks nipping at my heels, only to find myself plowing through an office building because I forgot to adjust the trajectory of my legs: even when I am playing at my worst it all feels so damn good.

Yet, the game suffers from a thousand little cuts, like dodgy A.I., difficulty based on swarms and accuracy that almost undermines the whole experience at the highest levels, and questionable UI choices. Each one of this little things adds up, and lead to inevitable frustration. I cursed my lancemates more than I praised them, I groaned with anger as I was cored by a tank halfway across the map during my evac, and I damn near quit when the final mission refused to topple against my Tier 5 equipped Assault BattleMechs. There were many times MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries infuriated me. I lost count of all the times I quit the game and walked away for a few minutes.

But I always returned, wanting and eager. Always under the prospect of “just one more mission.” And then a mission after that, and a mission following that. Always “just one more.” It’s in this mantra that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries excels. It’s not the prettiest, most polished, or the robust of games available, but – damn me – do I want to keep playing it. There will always be more mechs to acquire, more weapons to load my armory with, and more factions to piss off. And I’m more than happy to plug a gauss round into their smug Black Knight faces.
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

With the live play of MWO, I'm surprised you don't get that same satisfaction/frustration based on the team you get in 12v12 play. I do.
Bron PDT_Armataz_01_41