Benchmarking your MW4

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Firemane

Benchmarking your MW4

Post by Firemane »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had bothered to bechmark their system's frames per second performance under MW4? I just downloaded the FRAPS program and was going to test out my performance at various settings. I was hoping someone else has done that, especially if you have something newer than my old 950 MHz AMD & GF3. I was chatting with a guy in a server the other night who said he bought a 6899GT video card. He said it didnt help his performance at all, but I think he already had a pretty powerful system. The MW engine is pretty old so I know that new hardware is sort of overkill for it. I was hoping to upgrade in the near future and I just wanted to see what performance people were getting with their different platform.

<S>
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

hmm no i havnt. but, shoot us the link to the fraps program.

on thing i do know though, when i upgraded my system from a 1300 mhz CPU with 1 gig of PC 333 Ram with a Geforce 2 MX 440 to this 2100 mhz CPU with 1 gig of PC 400 ram with a Geforce FX 5700. i noticed not a single improvement what so ever in the game play. on other games though i noticed a HUGE improvement. well with Halo the graphics were alot sharper, plus you got things like water effects. anyhow i think your right about the graphics engine with mw4. it would be great if they could update it a little. but i doubt that would happen. on the other hand im a bit upset about the fact ive seen adds about Mechassualt 2 comeing out, and us poor PC gamers. ( who kept the battle tech type games alive all these years ) are left in the dust like a beat up old ford with flat tires.....
Firemane

Post by Firemane »

The link is:

http://www.fraps.com/

It's a pretty small download and it's pretty easy to use.

I was going to benchmark mine at the various resolutions & settings to see how much the performance varied. Mine does get a bit choppy in combats sometimes and I see a momentary lag when I change direction sometimes.

Als, anyone here use a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II
joystick? I am thinking about getting a new one and the last time I compared them in the store, I thought this one felt the best. The new ones have a black finish which I think will be a bit better than the first model's fake aluminum, I have been having a bit of trouble getting a steady track on moving targets with my Sidewinder Pro. I've been telling myself its the stick and not just my age ;). I have tried the Saitek sticks in the store but I really haven't been happy with the grips, or the throttle postions. And they are a bit on the gimmicky looking side.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

in regards to joysticks, the best and only stick i EVER liked playing mw games was the sidewinder series... ive bought and used, saitek, and logitech sticks and they simply did not compair to the smooth tracking you can get on a sidewinder. what i encounted was this. the saitek was a good built stick, worked well with better buttons. but the twist and movement of the stick required alot more movement to do anything. so to me, it seemed like i was slamming my stick all over the place to get anything done. When i tried to make it more sensitive it got VERY sensitive... and i started getting jerky movements... so i went back to my old beat up precition pro 2... the logiteck is a good stick. but for some reason when i use it for mw4 it tends to jerk when i move my turret. that makes it very hard to draw a bead on a target and tracking is imposible. other then that its a great sensitive stick..

so long story short, here i am, with my old, beat up, MS precision pro 2 stick on top of my monitor.. keep in mind only 2 of the base buttons still work, and thats becuse i replaced them.... i replaced the trigger button as well. ( i stole the buttons off the old precision pro 1 i had laying around....) at this point, im thinking of trying to find some after market buttons from maybe radio shack and giving that a try... hell couldnt hurt ;)

BTW the stick that gets my vote for the most reliable hardy stick is the old 3D sidewinder... that stick's buttons STILL works... and it still functions just fine for games like aircraft sims etc. its a bit too sloppy now days for mw4, and thats after rebuilding the shims and restreaching the springs in the damn thing hehe. the sidewinder lost support with windows 2k but windows regained support with winxp. why they droppped support in the first place is beyond me. but i guess enough ppl bitched they put it back in hehe. goes to show you the power of complaining your ass off huh :P
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

It may have been almost a year since I touched mine, but I swear by CH sticks and throttles.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html

Fethr
:play