star trek legacy..

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

star trek legacy..

Post by Hammer »

anyone found any reviews? i took a quick look but could not find anything yet. someone said it flopped??? why? (was that you Jedi?)
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I cancelled by pre-order from GoGamer just in time thankfully. Yeah, the game flopped big time. Every single review I've read has bashed the game. They all complain about the same thing that the game was dumbed down way too much.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Softball

Post by Softball »

Don't bother getting it guys. Consider me the guinea pig on this one. Unfortunately I had preordered it and it arrived in the mail before I could cancel it. It is extremely dumbed down, probably due to the console port. It actually feels like it was made for the consoles first, and then ported to the PC.

So, unless they drastically change the way ST:L plays, I would stick with Starfleet Command (1,2, or 3) or Bridge Commander. They are the last of the worthy Star Trek strategy games.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

To be honest never liked any of the above listed games. I really liked the Star Trek Armada games tho. They where a blast to play. One of the FEW games I have ever done the single player, and even rear case have actuality finished the single player. I am a 99% online player, so single player for me is almost unheard of.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i think the starfleet command games would be better than the armada games - but it depends upon what you like. i dislike the resource/build stuff ala Armada because it is just not relistic, and combat especially is not as detailed as i like.

there were also some questions re: sfc2 vs 3 - 3 removed some of the detail. SB, what are your thoughts there? How does Bridge Commnder compare to these games? seems starfleet command games are more multi-ship oriented???
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

or anyone else that may have/have played these games...

if the focus was going to be MP what would you recommend?

what if the players just wanted to get up and running insteald of learning a lot of details? sfc2 or sfc3 or sta 2? thoughts?

thx guys...
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

To be honest, I never played any of the SFC games MP, so I'm not really sure how it works.

Comparing SFC to BC, hmmmm. BC you play as the captain of a starship from the bridge view like you see on TV. SFC you play from 3rd person only, similar to an RTS game. Each game has quests and a storyline to follow. I haven't played any of these games in a few years, so I can't remember in everything in detail. But for the most part each game you need to manage your ships systems according to the situation. Systems take damage and you may have to change your tactics for a given situation. In SFC you can board other ships with commandos and take control of them briefly. I can't remember if you could do that in BC.

With all of this talk about SFC and BC, I am going to dig up the CDs and reinstall them. I will probably install SFC III as it was the last of the SFC series, and also install BC. I have to find the CDs (and possibly CD keys)first. *gulp*

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:...

if the focus was going to be MP what would you recommend?

what if the players just wanted to get up and running insteald of learning a lot of details? sfc2 or sfc3 or sta 2? thoughts?

thx guys...

For multiplayer I would recommend SFC I,II or Armada I,II. I've played all of them extensively online and enjoyed them immensely. If you hate resource building and stuff then just stick with SFC I,II. For the more hardcore player who likes to manage detailed ship systems, SFC I,II is definitely the way to go. The MP missions are of the "quick" type where you just setup who you want to fly for and who you want to fly against. You can do multiple friendly ships fighting against an enemy starbase, enemy ships or both! For the more casual gamer who just wants to sit down and play right off the bat, I'd recommend Armada I or II since the ship systems are greatly simplified.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i also found that sfc3 is on hotu... guess that makes the decision easy.

in addition there are mods to explore as well, and there is an online based campaign or ladder that folks run.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:i also found that sfc3 is on hotu... guess that makes the decision easy.

What's hotu?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Have you checked the prices people are asking for SFC-III on Ebay? Up to $100!! WOW.

http://search.ebay.com/starfleet-comman ... 1QQxpufuZx

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes - i can not believe that. kinda like freespace 2, but worse.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

It's all about supply and demand baby!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, how many of them really sell at that rate?

i wonder if sfc2 or sfc2:op is really better than sfc3? i have 3 up and running now - just did the first 4 tutorials. the graphics are much better than sfc2...but some things are definitely missing.
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Here is my collection of Star Trek games:

1) Armada
2) Armada II
3) SFC
4) SFC II
5) SFC III
6) Dominion Wars
7) Star Trek: The Fallen (FPS)
8 ) Bridge Commander
9) Star Trek: Legacy

For now, I will install SFC III and get it patched up.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Have you ever played Elite Force II Softball? It was a very well made first person shooter with a solid storyline.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

elite force was actually pretty good - the little i played of it...
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:elite force was actually pretty good - the little i played of it...
Did you buy a copy or was it lent to you by a friend? Why did you play so little of it if it was good?