Sins of a Solar Empire

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Gator

Post by Gator »

Another thought:
Some of that trouble might be because you didn't patch the game. There have been two patches since the game released last week and they may have tweaked the AI. I don't think any of us have played the stock (as released, unpatched) game at all.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I created a single player map with about three outlying galaxies surrounding a huge galaxy which I was on the outskirts of. I fortified my home planet then ventured out to grab several outlying planets for front line defense of my homeworld. I built myself up and ventured out to take some outlying area's for the mining rights.

Now I get a full head of steam take some choke points in my sector so I can control who comes past me. I have two factions on either flank and I decide to setup treaties when both parties request money metal or crystals from me (I gladly part with them hoping to gain trust) now that brings into question how in the hell do I make request of them. Now one of my neighbors becomes huge and starts advancing across my choke point into my other allies back yard which they make request for assistance from my fleet. At first I take the neutral stance since they are both my allies and I want to keep it that way, then I decide to pan out after this goes on for far to long and I notice my ally to my left is weaker than my ally to the right so I start a war with neighbor on my left coming to the aid of my ally on the right and I send a huge armada with 4 ships of the line a half dozen cruisers and about 40 to 50 frigates to round out the fray into the heart of now enemy territory (since my ally had an aramada already massing up coming across my borders) I wanted to make short work of my now sworn enemy.

While our fleets were phase jumping into position their government was trying every diplomatic gesture short of giving me something to stop my fleet from doing a show of force in their backyard, but of course I didn't listen and all out war broke out and I took a planet in the first few minutes so I could have a foothold and keep rebuilding my fleet in their backyard until I wiped them out.

I have as of yet to experienced a cout but I'm sure its on the way. This is a large galaxy I am trying to bring peace and order to (someone has to do it so why not me). I am still trying to get the research for Long Range Jumps but I can't seem to find it? There is alot to learn but I am slowly getting it, sorry you don't like the game Panzer but I am hooked and my wife wanted to kill me this weekend. I'm still trying to find the Long Range Jump Research also.

DA
Last edited by daofcmacg on 19 Feb 2008, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

What is the game up to, last patch I downloaded was 1.02 I think but I have to confirm that.

DA
Softball

Post by Softball »

Yes, 1.02. Maybe you can join us next weekend DA for a marathon of SE?

And it wasn't Panzer, it was Falker who didn't like it.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Falker

Post by Falker »

You know what would be great , is if the Homeworld2 came out with a game like this where you could go to different star systems and battle it out with the other players.

I started playing Homeworld2 again today just to check out the graphics and game play. I got to admit , it was very impressive in comparison. The only thing is , is that you cant populate other worlds and expand your empire.

Thanks for the tips. I never got a manual with my game. That lock thingamajig sounds cool. I might re-install the game just to check it out.

I had a sizeable armada with several worlds all built up at the time , when they all started attacking me. First it was one or two fleets taking turns , and then all of a sudden 4 to 5 of them all came out of the wood works , pouncing on my front door with gigantic fleets just draining me of my type 7 Battle Ships. I’d fend them off , sure , and then here’s comes another one and another from different clans loaded for bear.

Oh and how are you supposed to fight 2 to 3 battles at one time. . You know your capital ships have special powers that you can use on the enemy fleets right ? You’ll need to be there to order command them to use it , or they wont. Also if you are fighting several battles at once , there is no way your going to have the time to check out enemy losses and observe enemy ships being blown apart. Where’s the fun in that.

I sent out scouts to other galaxies to find out what I'm getting myself into , and found out that they have taken over their own territories and are aiming for mine. They must have alliances with each other because they will leave bare bone planets with no defenses in their wake. Hell if I did that I wouldn’t have lasted half as long.

But yeah , Homeworld2 with this type of scenario would be fantastic. Okay , I’ve vented enough, I’m going to take a break and see if I can register this l8r on , or get cheats to keep up with it. :)
We're in the pipe , five by five.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

You can have your Capital ships fire them automatically, just click on the capital ship then find the special powers that you want them to use automatically thing right click it, you should see an arrow rotating around in a circle. That means its set to autofire or autorestore.

DA
Falker

Post by Falker »

Seeing is believing

Looks Better…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tde5VeYD4as

Better than FREESPACE mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_D0Fh7u2j8

Another game on the way
http://pc.ign.com/articles/854/854439p1.html
Softball

Post by Softball »

Well now, I just might have to reinstall HW2 and check out that BSG Mod. Looks sweet! Good find Falker.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok I picked up Sins on friday and went half assed thru the tutorial but because I was sick as a dog all weekend (and still am) I didnt do much with the game....looks fun though
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

well now Buff you an't one I expected to get this lol but hell welcome to the dark side of a massive time waster PDT_Armataz_01_12
One recommendation play on fast with high resources and any other speed increases you can.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

being a homeworld, HWc and HW2 fan, i think i might have to go looking for this one sound fun. damn just what i need ANOTHER time waster LOL. when your younger you have all the time in the world and your bored becuse of it, as you get older you got all this fun crap to do but no time :P
Falker

Post by Falker »

They came out with a Demo download for Sins of a Solar Empire this last week.

Demo for PC strategy game which combines 4X depth with real-time gameplay now available
Stardock has released a playable demo of Sins of a Solar Empire, giving you the chance to try out the real-time space strategy game developed by Ironclad Games

This demo includes four tutorials, two small maps with up to two AI players, one randomly generated medium map with up to 3 AI players, and 90 minutes of playing time (single-player only). Only 90 minutes? not much time there.. GL

You can find it here:

http://www.worthdownloading.com/

Or over here:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/sins ... loads.html
Falker

Post by Falker »

Someone let me know if this Mod is worth trying! Looking sweet.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/sins ... 22816.html
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I picked up Sins myself this weekend, but other than playing the demo to the 90 min mark and the tut's I've not had any time in it yet.
The Jedi Master