Sins of a Solar Empire

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Once I get the money then I will definately purchase it.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

ok so hondo should have it buy now, Softball myself, Falker and Gater alreayd got it and are doing solo games, DA wants it and Steel showed interest, I see some MASSIVE games running a entire weekend in the works.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

This reminds me of homeworld2. Damn good gameplay there and I love the Z axis for out flanking and creating a new front for my capital ships to attack from. Transporting in with a wall of capital ships could be very very intimidating.

DA
Softball

Post by Softball »

Now if the game only had join in progress...

I would love to play a long drawn out campaign together. Keep in mind, the game only supports 10 players max (humas + AI) in MP, so if we get enough interest we may have to play adversarial. Although with the smaller maps, we can supposedly have 20-30 minute matches.

I wonder how the save games work? Can you start a game with say 5 human vs 5 AI, and then save the game. Then later, reload the saved game, and have 6 humans and 4 AI, or does it have to be the same players, same number of players from before? Hmmmm...?

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Da I had homeworld and its similer but ya the controls are SO SO SO much easer to deal with. Homeworld was just a pain in the but to play to the point I gave up on it. If controls and interface was better homeworld would have been a massive hit.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I like the controls, yes they were tedious but I loved them. It added a new level of play plus scout ships/probes could sit out of range and monitor from either above or below and the enemy most of the time didn't know they were there.

DA
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

ya the Z axes in homeworld was as great as the x and y a true 3d, wonder how big a z axes we get here lol but ya homesowlrd looked great but just never liekd the controls. the other thign I jsut remembered was how far apart thigns wherre it took for ever for thigns to happen I found. this game eliminates that wait thing.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

there is no way i (and pretty sure SB) can give the time to play all weekend.

looks interesting...i might get this. too bad there is no demo.
Helmut
Falker

Post by Falker »

EDIT: content removed...you know why. :)

aw np , i was just being stupid anyeways. Sorry about that. :p
Last edited by Falker on 12 Feb 2008, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Falker

Post by Falker »

This game is driving me CRAZY! I cant even get a good nights sleep anymore =/ I’ve been playing this 8 player game for several days now and the computer has finally caught up with me. No fare , I deleted 2 teams right off the bat so I could get a chance to expand and build my defenses , 2 hours into the game two more teams have been eliminated. Now I’m down to four teams ( including myself) , one of which has an alliance with me , but the other teams are going gung-ho with their fleets. Massive attacks on all fronts every 15 minutes. I had 10 planets at one time but now I’m having a hard time defending 5 of them.

I have 10 battle ships and about 40 Frigates divided into two groups , then I started running them back and forth between my planets after the pirate raids became more often. My battle ships are between class 3 and class 7 with all updates to boot , but the enemy ships are cheating! I has 7 of my battleships attacking this one enemy battleship and he was Still getting some good shots in. I had to pull back one of my ships out of combat before it blew up. It took a few minutes to finish off the enemy ship . It must be those damn repair frigates.

The same thing with planets. The enemy will populate planets and set up defenses 5 times faster then me. They must have a unlimited supply of credits , metal , and crystal at their disposal to keep this up. And for some reason I cant populate planets , or the ones I have , have an over though in government and I lose it. Bull Shit! Gah… I went back a loaded a saved game from a few hours earlier and tried doing things a bit different , although I cant keep up with the massive enemy fleets raiding my sector. I think they pick on me more than each other.

True it is addicting , I’ve read Sci-Fi books that are very similar to this game and I cant get enough of it. I either like it or I'm going to hate it lol , because I’ve come to the conclusion that I'm fighting a losing battle after seeing an additional 2 near by galaxy’s blossoming with my competition. Some day I’ll rule my own Galaxy and then attack the neighboring ones.. Some day,.. but not anytime soon.
Last edited by Falker on 12 Feb 2008, 19:20, edited 4 times in total.
Falker

Post by Falker »

I found this read to be a bit useful. Now I’m going to put it into use on Easy mode this time. :)

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?f ... aid=177378

Also other tactics are listed here.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/index.aspx
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well , I finally started a new 9 player game today on a huge map. I zoomed out with the mouse wheel and saw 5 neighboring galaxies including my own. ( hopefully mine one day) I’m taking care of my planets this time around , so they don’t drain my credits. I’m also paying off the pirates to attack the other forces so I can get a head start building my empire.

This way the pirates only send in half of their forces over to attack me when my competition pays them , because I paid the other half that's going to their sector. This is going to go on for several weeks unless the computer cheats again. I took a stripe of the computer players so I guess that means I’m playing in easy mode now. I also took off random and picked my own factions to even things up.

So far so good, I sent out scouts and found only one hostile in my neck of the woods. I think he jumped in from another galaxy tho. This is the type of game where I’ll need a direct neural interface between human brain and computer , because I can't keep track of every thing at once like the computer does. All I can do he hold them at bay until I’m good and ready to commit my forces.
Gator

Post by Gator »

I've heard this now twice, and I thought it was relevant to you all: Sins of a Solar Empire has no DRM. You have to register your cd key with their online database, but apparently there's no DRM.

Also, I heard that if you use your fleet to attack another fleet, you actually do less damage if you have multiple ships attacking a single target (ganging up on one target). They call this something like shield attenuation. I'm not sure how they rationalize that, but it takes away the advantage from large pesky fleets. They apparently had balance problems where a large fleet of cheap frigates was able to overwhelm a fully leveled up capital ship. Just a heads up to anyone who roams around with a big fleet, it's better to spread you fleet out in a battle so that if you have 10 against his 10, they're better off as 10 1v1 battles rather than trying to concentrate on one of his ships at a time.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

what is DRM?
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'll check and see if there's a demo for this. I'll certainly give it a shot and see if I like it.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

Steel wrote:what is DRM?
Digital Rights Management. I believe that means there is no Starforce or Securom.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

DRM= crap on cd that makes it hard to copy
Gator

Post by Gator »

There's no demo yet, however I hear one is coming. There was a public beta that may be available.
Falker

Post by Falker »

I uninstalled this game today. It had so much potential , but the computer is too aggressive on multi player maps. That is unless you want to form an alliance and run side jobs for them to attack other players. I’m not into to that aspect of playing. I’d rather build my own empire and have a unity with our own planets , rather than pay the piper and give into a forged coalition.

They need a patch so you wont haft to rely on partnership to play this game. If it weren’t for that ...... I’m also not going to register my game to get the latest patches either. I shouldn’t haft too. This would be the only game where I'd consider cheats to keep playing it , that is if there were any.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Well, you can lock the teams and setup the game to have allies full time from the get go. We played a 3 vs 1 against a Hard Fortifier AI last night. The AI was much more aggressive than usual, and had something like 7-8 capital ships within the first hour. I think next time we are going to try playing vs 2 Hard AI.

Have you tried the 50+ map games where you have to jump from star system to star system? Pretty dang cool.

If you seriously are not going to play this anymore, maybe you can sell/loan Steel your copy for him to try? Just a thought.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG