FreeLancer

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

daofcmacg

FreeLancer

Post by daofcmacg »

That is a great game. I just got it over the weekend at EBGames for $19.99 and I love it. If anyone has it and want to join up one night to play online just let me know.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

I downloaded the demo after a friend and I were arguing over what was better, Freelancer or Freespace 2. I quite like it actually.
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Well I like many aspects of the game. The best thing I like about it is the fact that you can basically move on your own accord thru space(once you get the clearance codes for the jump gates) taking on jobs to get more credits so you can get a larger ship so you can haul more stuff so you can get more credits but there is a price to pay and that comes in the form of who you ally with. From the get go you align yourself with the LSF and Liberty Navy(smart move though initially) so that instantly makes you an enemy of the outcast and the rouges and the builders guild and certain other sects your neutral with so your rep is your place in the galaxy and not your credits. I actually went thru the New York to Texas Jump gate and I was blown up even before I could react, I came out of hyper space(I guess you can call it that) and five ships jumped me and over powered my shields and I blew up before I could respond. I take it they hate me for killing some of there chaps. 47 to be exact.

I just went to Freespace 2 website download page and they actually have a patch for the demo. I don't know about you guys but that says two things, they care about making it right and wow they had to add a patch to the demo, not good.
DA
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I have read lots of reviews of Freelancer and i was very interested and just as i was about to buy it X2 the threat came out!

If you are looking for the ultimate free roaming, do as you want Space Sim(Bounty Hunter/Pirate/Trader/ Buisiness mogul you can build your own factories and run them and end up having hundreds of them and full control of all their transport ships/Build your own Space NavyEct.. Ect...) Then X2 the threat is the Dogs Nads, really trully and uterlly.

Graphics are stunning at maxed out settings (pushes my 9800Pro to the Limit), music is very atmospheric and never annoying and the whole game is open ended!

Never has there been a Space Sim like this since 'Elite' in the Eighties.

Enough said Just MHO but i haven't found anyone that likes Space Sims that got this and did not Like it and the Magazine/OnLine reviews all give it at least 95%.

I also have Freespace 2 but never really got into it, but it is a closed game, ok you can make your own Missions/Campaigns and there are loads of mods for it, but you just don't get to do whatever you want when you want in it, you do in X2.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Softball

Another game

Post by Softball »

Another one you might wanna check out, is Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. This has recently been released, and I plan on ordering it soon. Right now it's IMPORT only (Not sold in the US retail outlets), but you can order it from GoGamer.com. From what I understand it supposed to be Imperium Galactica III (renamed). I'll let you know how it is after I get my hands on it.
http://www.nexusthegame.com/

Other games that come to mind:

Hegemonia - The game is quite good actually, it never got the respect it deserved for some reason.
http://www.hegemonia.info/

Independance War 2 - Excellent game for its time.
http://www.independencewar.com/products/IWAR2/home.htm

Universal Combat - Never played it, but its along the lines of Battlecruiser Millenium. (Made by the same developer)
http://www.universalcombatgame.com/index2.php

Maybe, just maybe some of us could get together and play one of these games online? I know it's far fetched, but it could happen. Lol!

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Softball do you have Freelancer??? If not I will look into these games. From where I sit Freelancer gives you alot to play with but then this is my only experience with space sims.

DA
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

not sure how mp would work in those games...???

in freespace2 it is cut and dry - go do the mission. i like freespace2 and the like, you have missions, you accomplish them, part of a bigger picture, etc.

i am not that big on the trader/pirate/etc. thing. it is pretty much against my nature, so i do not enjoy doing that in games...

that Nexus game looks like it might be really good... will have to check out the demo. did you try the demo SB?
Helmut
Softball

Answers

Post by Softball »

Yes DA, I have Freelancer, I have them ALL! j/k I don't have all games, but it sure as hell is close. Lol! If I can find the CD ROM DA, I'll reinstall it and patch it up and give it another try. (I just don't have enough time for all these games.) Does Freelancer even have MP? I can't remember.

Nexus Demo...no I have not tried it. I didn't realize there was a demo. I just have been reading their boards and seeing what people are saying about the game. It sounds and looks really good, I think I'm gonna order it.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Forgot about Universal Combat SoftBall i have that one also and it looked good but never got round to actualy playing! Don't know why just never happened so maybe this might be an option for us!
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I tried the single player Nexus demo last night. It is a very pretty Homeworld 2, but is mission oriented and much more tactically complex rather than a rts game. It is a bit disorienting at first, but pretty good after you get the hang of it... Could be fun if anyone wants to try and hook up with the multiplayer demo to see how it plays... Let me know.
Helmut
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I was playing FreeLancer MP and I will say it is awesome to say the least. I was flying to the opposite end of the system taking a partial cargo load then came back with a full load and got jumped while I was in the trade lanes then I got jumped again sitting still trying to figure out where I was at. All of this was from AI Lane Hackers. The second one actually told me give up the load and live or give it up right after he killed me. I told him no then blew him out of the sky. I bought a new ship in the Kurisho system with better shields and more powerful weapons.

Man that was something else.

I'm thinking about getting one of our old computers from work and bringing it home to use as a game server, but I have to upgrade my dsl server to a static IP service. I've been reading up on it but its not that hard to setup and customize.

DA
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

There's a new arcade game on sale I've heard, about stunt planes flying around obstacles & carrying heavy things under their wings that have to be placed in certain locations - kinda like "It's A Knockout!" :roll:
You obviously have to do all this as a team of four, which is why I think they called it FALCON 4. LOL!!!
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

oooookay...... :roll:
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]