Opinions about IWAR2 post here please

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Opinions about IWAR2 post here please

Post by Grifter »

Ok. Published by Atari, Independence War 2 demo has good graphics, as good as starshatter if not better in some respects. The hud interface in combat is a little confusing at first, but logical. The flight model is a bit sluggish. At least in the demo, the ship you're given moves fairly slow, rotates slow, and comes to complete stops fairly easily with the aid of thrusters I assume. Bottom line is that I don't get that "I'm flying a craft in space feel."

The ship can take a pounding though, so perhaps it's the newb's forgiving model? Wide array of weapons to choose from. The hat switch brings up a menu in your hud to select and work on various components of the ship, which is kinda cool. In comparison to Starshatter. this game seems more polished, more professional. A testament to it's publisher's long standing in the industry.

The enemy craft are a challenge to hit, but not impossible, not nearly as difficult or as aggressive as they are in starshatter. No multiplay demo. bummer. So hard to say what it would be like to fly with others. Bottom line, I don't get the same dog fighter feel that I get in starshatter. Starshatter's fighter controls are fairly intuitive and the flight model gives a strong sense of inertia in space. The lack of this feeling in IWAR2 detracts from the whole experience as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it's just me. I'll play it some more to confirm this.

I'm uncertain if the community supports this game the same way the starshatter community does with lots of missions and mods. I'm sure the IWAR2 community does but I don't know yet.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

community needs investigation...

i took time to read through the manual while on the phone... i am impressed by this manual that comes with just the demo, as well as the interface.

from what i understand these ships are not fighters, so that can be the lack of manueverability you sense... i think they are frigates or gunboats.

i will see if i have time tomorrow to mess with the demo.

anyone else played this demo or game?
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Ok I'm finally off to bed now. Yeah they seem like frigate or gunboats as you say. I prefer the feel of fighters that starshatter gives off. I just played another starshatter mission. got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. but found the whole sense of dogfighting more akin to what I'm looking for in a space sim. The notion being that we would start a space sim fighter squadron. :-)
Softball

IWAR2

Post by Softball »

I have the full version of IWAR2.......somewhere. It is a GREAT game and has a huge universe to play in. It's been a while since I have played it, but maybe I should dig through my closet of games and reinstall it. I remember having this big fold out map of the IWAR2 universe, I wonder if I still have it?

All these games...... *sigh*

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

seems like we might prefer starshatter...

graphics are much more cartoonish in iwar2
not quite the feel of being in a fighter
you can command a fleet or just be a fighter jock
starshatter mods graphics look pretty cool

any other opinions?
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Um...I'm of the opinion that I WILL install the demo tonight! I never played IWAR2, so I can't speak of that one.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Was going to say I thiought it was definitely a FOUR LETTER WORD until someone brought out the sequel . . . . . . . . . 8O
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

star shatter is better imo. nuf' said. lol