Freelancer

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Freelancer

Post by Falker »

No ,... Not Free Lancer either : )

Thanks BH for following me around the other night in Freelancer. I was flying a bit tipsy , trying to find the Leon base lol . Glad you followed me so you could get your very own Titan Heavy Fighter ship :rockin: . I have 1,200.000 that’s yours if I see you again there at that server. It was a fun ride all the way there hehe. The Andromeda server is real cool too. : ) That’s a German hosted server with some real nice folk in there.

They have a Server Patch that lets you enjoy lots of other never seen before maps , as well as other Fighter or Cargo ships not offered on other servers. It was like a dream come true for me when this guy called Immelmann showed me around the server to all they had to offer there. I saw new Fighters and Cargo ships that looked real nice to try out , and some awesome maps that was just what I needed in that game to keep my interest. Immelmann said that his group over there in Germany had created at least 10 other maps to go with this Area 51 Map he showed me , and that his group was still working on more of them. Anyway , That’s a nice server. There’s a Mod Manager there at the server web page that’s lets you turn off and on your mods the way you like if you care to down load it. Them Germans are smart. : ) Hope to see Fether and Mince someday at Freelancer hanging out. That would be cool. C-Ya L8r

<S> Falker
Active Freelancer
Retired Mech Warrior

Andromeda Server Web Page ~>

http://www.freelancer-forum.com/

Click on the Download Files , Get all three of them , As I said , you can turn off and on the mods with the Mod manager. This way ,.. you can also visit other servers as well with out any problems.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

As I recall, my fancy HOTAS won't work with Freelancer, as it is a mouse game?

Fethr
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

yup... as far as i can tell there is no joy support at all. i would think they would make joy stupport but i guess not.. also noticed its 3rd person view all the time? Falker, do you know if you can actualy play the game looking out THREW the cockpit? hmm...

its not that bad of a game realy. its kinda slow going unless you happen to fall into a pack of about 10 ships from a faction that HATEs you then things get interesting lol. Online is similar to single play except there are real live pilots floating around out there and you can group up and trade and stuff... now there are other servers with new maps and ships as falker has mentioned. i hanvt tried those yet though. its just kinda fun to have something you can go dink with untill someone you know shows up and then group up and beat up on bad guys. i think doing player vs player could be interesting if we began a faction or something hehe. ive heard of pirate factions vs traders that sounds kinda interesting lol.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Yes , you can view the space looking through your cockpit by pressing the keys Ctrl - V at the same time . You can also change that option by going to your Control Panel in the game , Find User Interface / Find Change View and click on it to change it to the hot key you prefer.

I had a hot dual with some Top Gun guy wanting to pick on me at the Elite server the other week. His friend came by to watch my death from a distance. A few minutes into the dual we had , I was going Frantic. It was Excruciating. We just kept flying around in circles until one of got a shot in. I found that bouncing my ship of a meteor or other solid object was the only way I could rebound for a clean shot at him with my Missiles. Finally my mouse broke and we had to call off the fight. heh It would have been much better to have had some back up with me at time. : ) It would have been much different.

I’ve played other games with my mouse before on several occasions. It would be better to play Freelancer with my J-Stick , but I got used to using the mouse after awhile. It’s an interesting game and worth trying out. There are lots of things there to keep the curious mind busy for quite some time. I’m hoping that they make either a patch or a Freelancer II someday and add on to the realm they’ve created. Till then I’m very glad that them German guys across the globe at Andromeda has made online playing much more fun for the rest of us.

Falker
Active Freelancer
Retired Mech Warrior
We're in the pipe , five by five.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

Ive been playing on the Andromeda server here the last few days... i havnt realy gotten far. im only level 16, but you start out at 12 LOL. there is some cool stuff in there. i havnt tried the new areas becuse of whimpy ship syndrome... however there are 3 outcast battleships outside manhatton! i blew up 2 of em lol... im havnt a hard time maken any decent money. and for some reason some pirate ships out there are damn tough...

so far i havnt had any experiance PVP in there... but i been mainly in liberty space so thats probably why. i am ok with the hessians right now so i want to try out a sabre and see how that thing does... if you get on look for BlackHawk_K and give a shout out... now ..... if we could just get a group of ppl interested hehehe. this could get interesting...

PS, Bron, the server was a bit laggy when i first started playing there but has sence leveled out. and been quite nice the last few days. you need the mod and the mod switcher but it is on the server website. and some of it is even in english! hehe.

Falker, so far i havnt seen any new ships. might have to show me around sometime.

<S>!
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

hmm andromeda is pretty cool... a guy just showed me a trade route... gets about 300K per trip. and only 1 trade lane away LOL. plus they got all the very heavy fighters grouped togather to buy at one base. its in the AREA 51 space. check it out...

so far the server is stable for me... let me know if it isnt for you guys ( who ever plays this....)
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I was interested in this game (I loved the old WC Privateer game, back in the day) and then I tried the demo and learned that there was no joystick support. Piloting a ship via mouse is not for me. Guess I'm too old and set in my ways.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

Well! Of all the elitist, snobby, stuck-up...

Hehe same here, I gotta justify spending the money on my rig somehow.
Still working 14 hour days.
Will shoot... er, see you when I see you.

<S>
Fethr
ELH~Lancer

Post by ELH~Lancer »

Featherhorse wrote:Well! Of all the elitist, snobby, stuck-up...
You having a go at the 151, Feather? :P
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Lancers%20Sig.gif[/img]
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

Neg, Sir.
Just poking fun at myself and Tach, because we types tend to shun mouse and KB games in favour of those that let us fully utilize our control systems.

In other words, Tach saying "Waaaahhhh!" sounded all too familiar, so I was keeping myself real.

Fethr "Stick-Boy"
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

in other words... there are ppl out there that just cant let go of their sticks!

:wink:
ELH~Lancer

Post by ELH~Lancer »

Sorry Feather I was doing that weird Brit humour. After all, how can the 151 be elitist and snobby? We talk to Crickett! :o
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Lancers%20Sig.gif[/img]
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Doh! :o
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

allrighty you 'stick boys' out there :P

found something that might interest you. i havnt tried it yet becuse, well, i just found it.... but if your interesting in playing freelancer and just cant stand the idea of mouse and keys this may be the answer....

http://atzitznet.dyndns.org/Joy2Mouse3/Joy2Mouse3.htm

give it a try and let me know if it works ok.

hmm would be interesting to get a group togather on the andromeda server and do some cargo runs or maybe defend against some pirates mAHAHAHAHAAAAa :D
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

ok, did a little test on the above mentioned program. it does work. but the control is a bit strange... almost like no auto centering.. if a person wanted to practice enough i think it could work. it supports 32 buttons all programable to keyboard keys ( would be nice for the torpedo or missiles ) anyway, it might be worth trying it on the demo and seeing if its a possiblity. mean while i will keep a search out for more of these type of programs and see what turns up.

PS i was testing it on my precision pro 2 just so you know...
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

D'oh!

a BIG D'oh, really.
I forgot I could set up my stick or one of my hats as the mouse, and program my buttons, as macros. I might have to tell the wifey what to get me for my brirthday now...hehe

Fethr
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

well i think i would first play with the demo and see if you can get it working properly before you get the game... after all microsoft made this one too..... no joy support... DUH. geez even the old privateer 2 had joy support... and that was a DOS game. i mean i read all about what they intended and stuff about the ship controls, but to not even have the option seems a bit dorky to me.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

BlackHawk*K wrote: privateer 2
Never played Privateer 2, dunno why, but Privateer *1* was mass quantities of fun. And joysticky!

TD
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

hmm, privateer 2 was a total blast for me... in fact there were tons of times i said 'this would be cool if it had multiplayer' lol im probably mistaken, but i think Freelancer is a pickup on the privateer series... i hear alot of references to privateer 2 in alot of the discriptions and forums. Privateer 2 was a DOS game like i said, but the graphics were alot better then 1.

here are a few links i found aobut it.
http://www.game-revolution.com/games/pc ... vateer.htm
http://pluto.spaceports.com/~thanatos/privateer2/

the game hosted actual actors and stuff in the movie sequences so it was pretty cool at the time... ( hmm didnt mechwarrior do something like that once? )

here is the cast list :P

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0117391/
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I think what happened was when Privateer 2 came out, it was beyond the capacity of my PC, and by the time I got a new PC, Privateer 2 had already kinda come and gone. Hmm, seems I remember getting a new PC so I could play X-wing vs TIE Fighter...

Too bad the new Star Wars movies are so, well, uninspiring.

I was excited when I first heard about Freelancer. Then I spent 30 minutes trying to take out one enemy fighter, and all the while I kept knocking stuff off my desk - wham! thud! ka-thunk! - trying to maneuver using the <censored> mouse.

Sigh.

TD