FS2 setup

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

FS2 setup

Post by Hammer »

if you are interested...in joining Grifter and myself.

install the game.

install the 1.2 patch.

http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?88

install the FSO stable release build:

http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?134

download and uncompress (see below where to put them) the updated vp files (much better graphics, etc.).

http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?145

http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?148

download and uncompress (see below where to put them) the new movie files:

ftp://ns20193.ovh.net/FS2_Cutscenes.rar

uncompress all of these files (the media vp's and the movie files) into a new folder called mediavps inside the Freespace2 folder, i.e. C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps . this will allow us to run these as a mod (will get to that later) and have more flexibility in updating these files as well as running other mods.

optional in case we ever do competition (not likely): go here and create a login for the new "pxo" (actually fs2netd) if you have not already done so:

http://freespaceserver.cjb.net/fs2netd/

use WOF for your squad.

use the launcher.exe that installs with the latest build and configure the game. if you installed with default folders it will be in C:\Games\FreeSpace2. you might want to create a shortcut to it on your desktop to replace the stock FreeSpace2 shortcut that installed with the stock game. you will need to select the executable you want to run, which in this case is:

fs2_open_367.exe (not the one with a "_d")

click apply. then go to the features tab and select in the easy setup "all features on" and click apply. then go to the MOD tab and click select MOD and browse to the mediavps folder you installed the above files into. select OK and then click apply. then go through the rest of the tabs and change things as they make sense for your particular computer.

here is a link to the wiki with some basics about setting things up:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.ph ... Everything

starting the game from the launcher is easiest (and best - no chance you will start the wrong .exe), just click the Run button at the bottom of the launcher. (optional: go to options and select multi. in the pxo section enter your pilot name as created above and password and squad).

configure the rest of your options. make sure you turn in game voice comms off (in multi, top right you will see a voice selection).

i encourage you to do the training missions to get your stick set up and some practice. to connect multiplayer you must create a multiplayer pilot in game (you can clone your single player pilot) and select it either when entering the game or in the pilot management interface. then go to the multi options and select tcp and add the ip address you want to connect to - when entering the multiplayer missions section your game will automatically check those servers to see if they are running a game. you can also start a server from within the multiplayer missions section of the interface. remember you must have a multiplayer pilot selected to get to the mutliplayer section - else it is the campaign section if you have a single player pilot selected.

you can get all the .iso's from http://files.rlgaming.com/FS2 .
Last edited by Hammer on 08 Mar 2006, 22:33, edited 11 times in total.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

wait...a little confused cuz when you pm'd you sent me another link to games=warden or w/e. Where do I get the 3.6.5 build? I don't see it on your server.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

will put it up now -missed one. it is the FSO build in that thread...
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

k - up there now...
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

K thanks.
Gator

Post by Gator »

ok ... didn't work for me.

Here's what I did:

1) Installed the game from the 3 CDs (I have the original discs)
2) Installed the 1.2 patch (fs21x-12.exe) downloaded from our FTP site
3) Unzipped and copied the contents of the other two zip files (20050103-win32.zip and WOF-MP-FS2.zip) into the Freespace2 folder. There were some duplicates here.
4) Started the launcher and chose the executable (fs2_open_T-20050103.exe) and chose apply and then ok
5) Started the executable and the game crashes with a couple errors

Code: Select all

---------------------------
PlayWnd Sample
FAILED(hr=0x80004002) in pVW->SetWindowPosition(extra_w, extra_h, video_rescale_w, video_rescale_h) (DShow error) 

OK   

Code: Select all

PlayWnd Sample
FAILED(hr=0x80004002) in InitVideoWindow(ghApp,width, height) (DShow error) 

OK   
I don't know if this is correct or not, but all the folders in the "data" folder are empty except for the "tables" which were copied manually. I have a feeling it didn't install correct. Any thoughts? I'll probably just try a reinstall, but if I'm doing something wrong, i'd like to not repeat it.

-Gator
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Ok, I have it installed and I've done the 1st training mission. Man, this brings back memories from when I played FS1 back in the day!

Anyway, I joined PXO and can login to the website, but in-game it just gives me a "login failed" when I try to connect. Is there some delay between registration and being able to login?
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

no delay - have you set it up in-game? the PXO setup needs to be done. mine works o.k.

Gator,
Maybe try just reinstalling with the correction in the procedure above - you actually only need the WOF file...

data should be empty except for the tables as the rest of the stuff is in the .vp files that come with the game.
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Might've been a firewall issue...I fiddled and now it logs in fine.
Only thing is it mentions I have "hacked tables"--the files in that zip I assume--and the server list is blank, so I can't join anything out there although it let me start setting up my own.
Guess we'll just have to blunder through this the first time! :)
The Jedi Master
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

Replaceing the clutch in the wifes saturn this weekend. but will have to set this bad boy up and see what happens. sounds fun!
Gator

Post by Gator »

Still no dice.
Installed cdroms ... ran the game ... ok
installed 1.2 patch .. ran the game ... ok
unzipped and copied the WOF files
configured the launcher
same crash on startup.

I'm going to reinstall and install the other zip file instead of the wof file and see if there's any difference. I think my problem is a video file or a video setting or something like that.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yeah - give that a shot. it will be without videos then, and you will need to get the table files and the pxo config file. alternatively, you could just delete the videos and have the same thing...then it will not try to run the videos on startup...as they will not exist.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Gator,
can you also try running the Babylon Project and see if that works O.K. or not? It will install into a seperate directory anyway... that might give a clue as well.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

updated...
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Up and running works perfectly so far. This may be a lot of fun.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

i think i will give this thing a download and dust off the joystick and see just how sucky i am now days :P will let you know if i get it up and running and can fly in a fairly strait line... ;)
Softball

Post by Softball »

I got this installed and working last night. Took a little bit of time to get everything setup correctly, but I think I got it done.

Gator, let me know if you still have problems, I'll walk you through what I did with my install. (I have the original CDs as well)

Started the campaign, man have I missed this game. Good stuff.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

ummm...Gator's posts were a very long time ago.
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Yea yea, my offer still stands. :P

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Gator

Post by Gator »

i'll try to follow those instructions in the thread if they're accurate. SB: I'll let you know if i get hung up again.