Monitor Quest - Need Input Please

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Trichome

Monitor Quest - Need Input Please

Post by Trichome »

Hi Guys...

Im looking to grab a new display I used for my Computer. (its currently a 43" LED TV)... I was going to go out tonight to make the purchase and just as I was telling Creeper about that Amazon shared a sale with me and Im torn between the 2.

I want to be 4K or 1440 (if im understanding this right) @ 120hz and OLED. I think my best option today in my price range and size (cant be bigger than 48') are:

https://www.leons.ca/products/lg-48-4k- ... led48c2pua - this is the TV
https://a.co/d/bcBG8e5 - this is the Monitor

same price - same size.... and I use it for all my computer stuff (not just gaming) although DCS is the driver of this purchase.

Id appreciate your opinions.... Im itching for a purchase...lol
Last edited by Trichome on 25 Nov 2022, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Trichome

Re: Monitor Quest - Need Input Please

Post by Trichome »

This so my battlestation for reference. It's a 43" TV. 48" should JUST fit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Beautiful setup. Mine is nearly as aesthetic. You sure you want a larger monitor? The data indicates that the best viewing monitor from that distance to screen for reaction time, not feeling overwhelmed, etc, is 27". Also, while 4k is likely going to become the norm eventually, the image output I have at 2560X1440 @ 144 hz is just fine, beautiful in fact. I sit about 2.5' from the monitor and my peripheral vision can take in the whole screen, which is important for simming. So, I can't really recommend something with the specs you're looking for. I haven't been in the market in while. But, I have to say, I own an LG television and an LG monitor and I'm really impressed with both. Got relatively good deals on both products, they are highly rated, and rock solid. So, if you're must have a 48" tv, you might consider LG as a brandname.

My monitor is this: Best Buy. It's on Black Friday sale.

Grif.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hey Grifter

Thanks for all that info. I agree 48" may be to much.
I'd prefer not to go bigger than 43" but the price increase from 42" to 48" was only 100$. I should stick with the 42". I dont want to go smaller because I do watch movies and sports and don't always sit that close.

Can I get your screen model? That link just takes me to the main page bestbuy page and I get redirected to Canada.

Is there a benefit to an OLED TV over a Gaming Monitor or vice versa? Or specs are specs...?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

ive always been a monitor guy over tv's for computer gaming. maybe its just a habit. I see that Leons' link model on amazon for $1000. 48" is really big to be sitting that close to it is my thought. However if you like that size, they are both great purchases. Once i settle on a product, i shop around for the best price I can find.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Damn it, Canada. Should've realized. I have that problem every time I'm visiting family in Montreal. I haven't been in the market for several years now and technology has changed. They didn't have OLED when I bought this monitor, and so I really can't say. But, here is my monitor's model # 27GL850-B
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I have to say I have no complaints about LG as a monitor manuf. I also have a HANNS-G and its fine. My son had an ACer but it didn't last long before it became glitchy
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thanks for the input guys...

Im going to go and actually look at them and see. Honestly its tough to write off the extra 6" for only 100.00 although I think the 42 is enough. The 1000.00 on amazon for the same screen is probably USD. conversion is about 1USD-1.34CAD. Grifters monitor is 437 CAD - great price.

I was looking at more sales and Im going to head to Canada Computers. Not only do they have the LG OLED 42 and other monitors they can hopefully tell me what may work best based on my use and my specs. They put my computer together. I appreciate all the feedback. With that and everything Ive read I think going to actually talk to someone will help me decide.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Good luck, man. Whatever you settle on, I hope it gives you many years of entertainment value.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I went with the LG C2 OLED ..... 42". Just plugged it and so I'll have to mess with a bit but so far so good. Its on and looks great.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

hmmm, i was gonna post that you should NOT use a TV as a monitor. while attractive on the price/size aspect, TV's generally do not have the response times that gaming monitors have. does that TV have 5ms response time when used as a monitor? Are there other factors pushing you to a TV instead of a monitor for computer use?
Helmut
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Like I said,  you guys don't mess around when it comes to computers. I tried using a 43' LED TV and it was a bit much so I had to go back to a 32'which is just right if you're sitting at a desk less than 3ft away from the screen. LED TV uses less power, provides a brighter display with better contrast, a thinner panel, and lesser heat dissipation. OLED TVs run so hot - look it up -   Although I noticed that your desktop picture is only going to look as good as your Computer GPU allows it too.  Other than that I've seen 4K LG TV's for under $500 at Walmart, I'm not sure what a $1500 LG is like , maybe you can touch the screen and it will touch you back  :) 
Anyway GL 
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Oh that’s right! I had forgotten to mention the issue with latency. You want a display with 5 ms or less for gaming. But, as you said Trichome, you use this display for more watching TV as well. I hope this new TV works for your purposes and wish you the luck with it.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

The 42' is borderline to big for gaming this close but I do use it for other things so hopefully I made the right choice.... I do like the way it fits but so far it hasn't touched me back yet so I'm not sure I'm getting my money's worth...lol

I haven't noticed how hot it runs but its definitely heavier but thinner than my LCD.

PC Mag has a review of this TV and others...shows input lag at 1.5ms they have a whole comparison chart (not vs monitors)

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-tvs-for-gaming

I do appreciate all the feedback you guys provided... thanks!! DCS looks fantastic also. Definitely an improvement:

2560 x 1440 @ 120hz 110-120 FPS
3840 x 2160 @ 60hz 92-118 FPS
Just doing some simple flight maneuvering.

I noticed that I get about 10 FPS if I close the mirrors on the Hornet... Anyone else get the same kind of jump? I dont use them anyways really.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I believe it should be okay with 1.5 ms latency.That's pretty quick response time.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

I just wanted to add - LCDs TV's have a lifespan of about 50,000 hours, or 5 years — about half the lifespan of LED TV

If you still have an LCD TV here are your options:

Donate your TV
Take it to a recycling facility
Return it to the manufacturer
Sell it
Give it away for free

Organic Light Emitting Diode panels - same as plasma panels for that matter, may generate more heat than LED panels when in operation.
Plasmas were quite popular due to their incredible picture quality with true blacks, as well as a rapid response time speed. However, they also suffered from having a too reflective screen, which washed out the colors in very bright rooms.

Although LCD TVs can’t produce deep blacks like plasma TVs, they slowly replaced them as they were a lot cheaper to make and had a much thinner design.
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Yes mirrors in definitely takes some fps. I should keep them off too as I don't really use them. Mostly eye candy.