Aliens

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Post by Falker »

Life on another planet….

Not really , but it’s something you don’t really see everyday. And to think there was once tens of thousands of people over there. I have saved a few of these pics of the day for my desktop background.

Explanation: A volcano on Krakatoa is still erupting. Perhaps most famous for the powerfully explosive eruption in 1883 that killed tens of thousands of people, ash from a violent eruption might also have temporarily altered Earth's climate as long as 1500 years ago. In 1927, eruptions caused smaller Anak Krakatau to rise from the sea, and the emerging volcanic island continues to grow at an average rate of 2 cm per day. The latest eruption of Anak Krakatau started in 2008 April and continues today. In this picture, Anak Krakatau is seen erupting from Rakata, the main island of the Krakatoai group. High above, stars including the Big Dipper are clearly apparent.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm really a Cylon from the Final Five. Did you guys know that?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Yes.
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Falker

Post by Falker »

LCROSS

In October 2009, the Lunar Crater Observing and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS), Is destined for a lunar smack-down At the right moment, the package will release the spent upper stage and follow it down, measuring the results as the collision kicks material from the dark crater floor back into sunlight. Scientists say they expect the plume to extend to some four miles above the crater rim. Shortly after the upper stage augers in, the guidance package also will end up as rubble on the crater's floor.

Space-based telescopes, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, India's lunar orbiter, and several ground-base observatories will try to tease out the material's composition with an eye toward capturing the signatures of water ice, if it's there. The event also is likely to be visible to amateur astronomers with the right-sized telescope.

Nasa Link with Pictures and Video.
http://lcross.arc.nasa.gov/
Falker

Post by Falker »

“Walks up to the podium “

Ahhem..

Lady’s and Gentlemen. It is my honor to be here with you tonight on the glorious occasion. Let me start by saying that ,…. I superceded my goal. I now have the most RLG forum views of all time! Whoa..

AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh!

Okay thank you!

AHHHHHHhhhh!

Thank you..

Ahhhhhhhhh clap clap clap ! !

Thank you…

Now ,

Clap clap clap ! !

Okay thank you….. thank you.... And now…. let me introduce Steel , our forum host!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Okay!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay!

Steel walk up to Falker and shakes hands.…. Then places a specially crafted silver medal over his head that lays around his neck on a gold and silver ribbon.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

“Falker sheds a tear in one eye “

Thank You! Thank you all!!!

I'm going to Disney Land!

Snaps off a salute , wheels around and walks away.
Falker

Post by Falker »

A set of high-tech Japanese underwear has passed the ultimate smell test in space.

Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata put the new underwear, which is designed to keep foul odors down in space, and other garb to an extra-long endurance test during his 4 1/2-month stay aboard the International Space Station.

"I wore it for about a month and my station crewmembers never complained for that month, so I think the experiment went fine," Wakata told the Associated Press Thursday in a televised interview.

Called J-Wear, the souped-up space duds include underwear, shirts, socks, pants and shorts made from a special anti-bacterial fabric engineered to repel static and neutralize odors.

"We're going to go beyond the moon someday," said Mike Suffredini, NASA's space station program manager, in a televised briefing Thursday. "And little things like this will seem like really, really big things when you're far away from Mother Earth."
Falker

Post by Falker »

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Explanation: Cloudy skies over Wuhan, China hid the delicate solar corona during July's total eclipse of the Sun. Still, the Moon's silhouette was highlighted by these glistening diamonds as the total eclipse phase ended. Caused by bright sunlight streaming through dips and valleys in the irregular terrain along the Moon's edge, the effect is known as Baily's Beads, named after Francis Baily who called attention to the phenomenon in 1836. The dramatic appearance of the beads at the beginning or end of a total solar eclipse is also known as the Diamond Ring effect. In this remarkable image, a small, pinkish solar prominence can also be seen along the edge, below the diamonds.
Falker

Post by Falker »

It's been 36 years since NASA's last Apollo lander left the moon's surface. But while the agency's plans to return humans to the moon remain confused, a pack of private teams are racing to send robots to kick up lunar dust and claim the $20-million Google Lunar X Prize announced nearly two years ago.

So far 19 teams have registered for the contest. To win, they must land a rover on the moon that will then drive 500 metres before turning to photograph its landing site – all before the end of 2012. The team that does it first will pick up $20 million. Second place will earn $5m and a further $5m in bonuses will be awarded for finding relics from past US or Soviet moon missions.

Like the Ansari X Prize for sending a human into space, the lunar contest is meant to stimulate commercial space exploration.

"What we're doing is a proof of concept: that this can be done, and for less than the government would pay for the same kind of mission," says Fred Bourgeois, head of Team Frednet, a Lunar X Prize competitor based in California.

The Google Lunar X Prize teams span more than 12 countries on three continents. They're led by students, engineers, CEOs and entrepreneurs. Each has different strategies for flying to the moon, driving around once they get there and paying for it all.

Team Frednet has taken an open-source approach, meaning anyone can contribute to the wiki that is used for all the team's business.

"The power of people collaborating is so much bigger than [that of] a small company hiring people to do the job," Bourgeois says. "You can't get the same calibre of people that you can by finding people who are really interested in it." (See an image of Team Frednet's "hamster ball" rover prototype).

Other teams, like Team Italia and the Romanian team ARCA, are trying whip up patriotism to give them a boost, although the contest's rules ban governmental support.

Marketing the moon
Some teams are making technology that will have a use and a market beyond the contest. Team Astrobotic, based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has its sights set on the Apollo 11 landing site. "We're trying to create a robot that makes sense over the longer term so we can be part of the lunar frontier and help open it up," says David Gump, president of the team's parent company, Astrobotic Technology.

Team Astrobotic plans to send its rover to see how the descent stage of the Apollo 11 lunar module looks after 40 years on the moon and so gain insights into how to design future lunar equipment. Astrobotic is also the only team so far to publicly set a launch date: 8 May 2011. (See an image of their rover prototype).

Most teams are relying on, or hoping for, private investment. But not Synergy Moon, which is offering to take donors' DNA to the moon for $10,000.

Odyssey Moon has a similar idea. It was founded a year before the X Prize competition and its leader Bob Richards says it aims to be "a FedEx to the moon". He hopes people will pay to deliver things to the dusty lunar surface and expects consignments of plants and even human remains. (See Odyssey Moon's prototype hopper).
Geeky business

"For us it's all about building a business case," Richards told New Scientist. "We're pleased and proud to be the first registered team in the competition, but what's driving us are the customers."

Bourgeois also thinks there's money to be made from reaching the moon's surface and plans to have people sponsor images sent back from Team Frednet's lander. "Wouldn't you like to have your name come back as 'This minute of moon video sponsored by…'?" he asks. "It's just the geek value, you know?"

See a gallery of images showing some of the latest prototypes from competing teams

If you would like to reuse any content from New Scientist, either in print or online, please contact the syndication department first for permission. New Scientist does not own rights to photos, but there are a variety of licensing options available for use of articles and graphics we own the copyright to.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Laser-Pumped Flying Saucers: How You'll Get to Orbit

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdj6vpYppA
Falker

Post by Falker »

Explanation: Just one minute before midnight EDT, Friday, August 28, the Space Shuttle Discovery began a long arc into a cloudy sky. Following the launch, a bright and remarkably colorful trail was captured in this time exposure from the Banana River Viewing Site, looking east toward pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. On STS-128, Discovery docked with the International Space Station Sunday evening. The 13-day mission will exchange space station crew members and deliver more than 7 tons of supplies and equipment. Of course, the equipment includes the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill
Falker

Post by Falker »

2012 History Channel

I don't know about you all , but after watching this video , i'll take it a little more seriously than Y2K. I plan on buying me a dirt bike , good 4x4 , and save up lots of food and cash to prep for this one. It was over 680 millions ago that that the earth had a pole shift , I plan to be ready for the next one.

Check it out... It’s not science fiction , it’s science fact.

Well , some of this video is.

2012:

1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iloM0vjEAMY

Hopefully they will load in sequence.

Some ways to say goodbye if it were to happen in your life time.

Arivaderchi. , Auf wiedersehen , Adios , Au Revior , A hui hou. Later mate , Oi , Ta ta, Hooroo , Sayonara
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/15oct_ibex.htm

'October 15, 2009: For years, researchers have known that the solar system is surrounded by a vast bubble of magnetism. Called the "heliosphere," it springs from the sun and extends far beyond the orbit of Pluto, providing a first line of defense against cosmic rays and interstellar clouds that try to enter our local space. Although the heliosphere is huge and literally fills the sky, it emits no light and no one has actually seen it.

'Until now.'
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

wow, after all this time, you figure this post would of died by now LOL! ;)
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

In other news idiots are still idiots and it's still not the end of the world...
http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/10 ... -Ends-2220

I doubt we're gonna die in 2020 either.

Grow up, stop worrying about your impending appointment with destiny, and accomplish something; maybe have a little fun on the way...
Falker

Post by Falker »

You know ,.. I didn’t even post up like that when I was half way drunk. What’s your problem anyway? Would you like it if I went into the WOF thread and said the same thing? Grow up , get a clue? Do you just want to shit on everybody? Or is it us ELH. Ever since we ELH have joined here , certain members of WOF have treated us like palm scum. As if we were new the guys and had to earn you’re respect. That we were invading on you’re turf. I like allot of WOF members , unfortunately , a lot of those members wont post anymore.

You know , I thought you were a cool guy at one time because you were open and honest. Nowadays it’s seems like you have a monkey on your shoulder and you’re being rude.

But then again , this isn’t the forum I was once use too. Even the forum host has changed his name. When that happened I felt like I lost another friend ,and my means to stay here. It just doesn’t feel the same anymore. With that said , I would have been the last man standing , if the forum host hadn’t been so alien to me.

Pending for additional comments.
Tach Deneva

NASA finds 'significant' water on moon

Post by Tach Deneva »

NASA finds 'significant' water on moon

"NASA said Friday it had discovered water on the moon, opening 'a new chapter' that could allow for the development of a lunar space station."
Falker

Post by Falker »

I saw a good interview on CNN about this the other day. Though I can’t recall the Asian guys name at this time. I’ve known him for along time though , and his comrades were in Stargate Atlantis with Rodney McKay. Water is life and fuel so there’s so many good things that can be done with this find. The mission paid for itself. No Aliens on the moon as of yet.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Spiral UFO over Norway

"A MYSTERIOUS giant spiral of light that dominated the sky over Norway this morning has stunned experts — who believe the space spectacle is an entirely new astral phenomenon."

From http://spaceweather.com/

"UPDATE (2 a.m. EST, Dec. 10): Circumstantial evidence is mounting that the phenomenon was caused by a malfunctioning suborbital rocket, possibly a Bulava ICBM launched from a Russian submarine in the White Sea. A Navtex no-fly alert was issued for the White Sea on Dec. 9th, and photographers have recorded what appears to be the initial boost phase of a launch beneath the spiral (see inset). A rocket motor spinning out of control could indeed explain the spiral pattern, as shown in this video of a Trident II missile launched from a US submarine in 2007. The Russian rocket hypothesis is plausible, but it has not yet been confirmed."
Falker

Post by Falker »

It does look more like a rocket out of control. The blue tail could be leaking fuel spraying out into the night. The black hole could be the rocket blowing up taking some of that fuel trail with it.

http://www.examiner.com/x-32018-Kansas- ... ver-Norway

http://www.examiner.com/x-15407-Las-Veg ... ver-Norway
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

http://www.sphere.com/science/article/s ... t/19285097

(Dec. 17) -- Astronomers announced this week they found a water-rich and relatively nearby planet that's similar in size to Earth.

While the planet probably has too thick of an atmosphere and is too hot to support life similar to that found on Earth, the discovery is being heralded as a major breakthrough in humanity's search for life on other planets.

'The big excitement is that we have found a watery world orbiting a very nearby and very small star,' said David Charbonneau, a Harvard professor of astronomy and lead author of an article on the discovery, which appeared this week in the journal Nature.