Aliens

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Aliens

Post by Falker »

:o

Mysterious red cells might be Aliens

From CNN :

As bizarre as it may seem, the sample jars brimming with cloudy, reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis's laboratory in southern India may hold, well, aliens.

Link:
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/scienc ... index.html
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Maybe they're Martians - from Venus!

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Given the size of the universe as we know it (infinite I might add - too big for us to measure, neither by size or time), I think the human race would be extremely arrogant to believe for one minute that they are the only intelligent life form in it. And the adjective 'intelligent' I am using with artistic licence.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Falker

Post by Falker »

Yet again is was just the other week that I’ve seen one of these. A bright light moving across the night sky in an unusual way. I’ve seen about 5 or 6 of these in the last several years. Some lights are much brighter than others. This link below is a popular video taken from the Space Shuttle back in early 1990's showing a view from above , of a UFO captured in flight. Since then , NASA quit airing the Space Shuttle Videos because “ This One “ raises a lot of questions.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/beststs48.mpg

(web page link ) http://www.ufocasebook.com/bestufovideos1.html

My guess is that the UFO realized it was being tracked and decided to make a quick escape. What was tracking it? Well my other guess would be a prototype ground laser. They’ve been in the works for years trying to figure out a way to knock out satellites from the ground. The picture in the link below is from an old Ground based laser station that’s been around for awhile. I’ve found a day time picture of the station awhile back that reveals it’s massive size , It’s a big as a building.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/03/air- ... ng-lasers/
Falker

Post by Falker »

ah ha , here's a daytime picture. I'd like to see this in action :)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/28/star ... nces-sake/
Falker

Post by Falker »

How the world will change for ever in December 2012
India Daily Technology Team
Sep. 29, 2006

Some Astrophysicists are running back to the drawing table in recent days. They are busy looking at a Star Cluster called M15 discovered years back by Hubble Telescope. This mosaic of the globular cluster M15 (fifteenth object in the Messier catalog of star clusters and nebulae) contains over 30,000 stars. The Hubble Space Telescope probed the core of M15, the most tightly packed cluster of stars in our galaxy, to look for evidence of either a massive black hole or another remarkable phenomenon: a "core collapse" driven by the intense gravitational pull of so many stars in such a small volume of space.

UFO researchers now believe that the aliens from this star cluster who visit us regularly will finally expose themselves to us in 2012. They have been preparing for the totally astounding event for a long time.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Cool , A newer FREE version of WinStars Astronomy program was added last year!

Here are the chief characteristics of the software:

a database of 2,500,000 stars;

a catalogue of 10,000 nebulae, galaxies and star clusters;

a direction of observation which is easily controlled by a mouse and in real time;

a precise representation of the observable sky from a point on the earth’s surface on a given date;

a 3D interface to give more realism to celestial objects;

a calculation of notable astronomical phenomena visible from an observation point on the earth;

detailed information about each object;

a calculation of the positions of the principal satellites of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, of comets and of asteroids;

an outline of the celestial equator, the ecliptic, and a grid of azimuthal and equatorial coordinates;

a 3D outline of the planetary orbits

drives a large range of telescopes

compatible with the seti@home BOINC version

Internet resources are also available:
updated comets and asteroids' elements, querying of DSS (Digitized Sky Survey) servers to obtain a photograph of that portion of the sky being displayed by the program, a notice of the visibility of artificial satellites, etc.

automatic updates;

a program developed entirely in C++

Minimum system requirements

a 1GHz CPU

Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/XP x64

DirectX version 9.0c

128 MB of RAM

100 MB of hard drive space

a 3D video card with at least 65535 colors (16 bits)
Falker

Post by Falker »

Neat program , I can use my mouse wheel to zoom in or out from Earth , or pan around the solar system to see where other planets are in contrast to my time zone. All I need now is a couple battle ships to give orders to. 8)
Falker

Post by Falker »

Last edited by Falker on 09 Feb 2007, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Falker

Post by Falker »

An Alien Earth-like Moon in our own solar system.

Recently released by JLP: February 2007
Featuring , Stunning eye-catching video of Saturn’s Moon Titan.

See The Video
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/f ... index.html

Despite centuries of speculation and decades of research, scientists are still seeking fundamental clues to the question of how life began on Earth. Titan [TIE-tun] is the frozen vault that may contain these secrets for the Cassini-Huygens mission to discover.

Titan is the largest of Saturn's moons, bigger than the planets Mercury and Pluto.

The study of Titan is one of the major goals of the Cassini-Huygens mission because it may preserve, in deep-freeze, many of the chemical compounds that preceded life on Earth.

Long hidden behind a thick veil of haze, Titan is the only moon in the solar system that possesses a dense atmosphere (10 times denser than Earth's). The fact that this atmosphere is rich in organic material and that living organisms as we know them are composed of organic material is particularly intriguing. "Organic" means only that the material is carbon-based, and does not necessarily imply any connection to living organisms.

The story of Titan is gradually unfolding. Titan is a dynamic place with complex geologic processes. The lack of many craters indicates that Titan's surface may be relatively young, because Earth-like processes of tectonics, erosion, winds, and perhaps volcanism, shape its surface. Though hazy, Titan's atmosphere is relatively cloud-free. Contrary to popular belief that liquid methane and ethane oceans would collect on its surface, no evidence has been found so far for large lakes of liquids.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Comet McNaught

Astronomy Picture of the Day
Posted February 5, 2007
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... painen.jpg
You can see the Comet over to the right of the fireworks.

It’s not like you can find good stuff like this on our local news channel , which is why I’m getting this one off a little late. Aperently the folks down under are having the best show. But if they can see it in Sweden than I’m wondering if I can too.

Observers have followed its gradual brightening as its distances from Sun and Earth decreased. It's currently both a morning and evening object, visible very low near the east-southeast horizon about 30 to 40 minutes before sunrise and very low near the west-southwest horizon about 30 to 40 minutes after sunset.

I remember the Comet Hale-Bopp back On July 23, 1995 and what a site to see. I never thought I would see another Comet in my life time until now.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_McNaught

I would appreciate any feedback on this , have you seen it?
Last edited by Falker on 07 Feb 2007, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I believe that was visible here in North America a couple or three weeks ago. It was only visible for a little while right after sunset.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Falker

Post by Falker »

Veger is still alive !

Deep Space Network 16 and Voyager are still in contact with each other after all this time. The Voyager spacecraft were launched back in the 1970’s , from Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida.

NASA's Deep Space Network (DSN) has been in partnership with Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 for twenty-nine years, providing daily communications support to the two very distant spacecraft. The excellent partnership continues as the Voyager twin spacecraft explore the regions of our universe near the area where the solar wind meets the interstellar winds – areas never before explored by human-made objects.

Voyager 1 reached a historic milestone in December 2004 when it crossed the termination shock where the solar wind slows abruptly from a speed that ranges from 700,000 to 1.5 million mph. Another important milestone was reached on August 15, 2006 when Voyager 1 became 100 AU (Astronomical Unit) from the Sun! One AU is the average distance from Earth to the Sun, 150 million km, or 93 million miles.

At the speed of light, it takes 13 hours and 49 minutes for a signal from Voyager 1 to reach one of the giant antennas of the DSN, and 11 hours and 3 minutes for Voyager 2, which is about 80 AU away.

The above diagram shows the current positions of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 and depicts the termination shock, heliosphere, heliosheath, heliopause and bow shock, The source of the diagram as well as the information below is the Voyager Project. The solar wind is a stream of electrically charged ions ejected from the Sun's atmosphere, which sweeps past all the planets at supersonic speeds. It creates a bubble around the Sun, called the heliosphere, which extends far beyond the orbits of the planets. Inside the helioshere is a boundary called the termination shock where the speed of the supersonic solar wind is suddenly reduced. The outer boundary of the heliosphere, where the expanding solar wind is balanced by the inward pressure of interstellar matter is called the heliopause. The heliosheath is the region between the termination shock and the heliopause. A bow shock forms as the Sun progresses through the ionized interstellar gas.

Each deep space communications complex provides capabilities required to perform telemetry data processing, including signal reception and amplification, signal demodulation and decoding, and data extraction. It also provides a capability to send commands generated by the project to the Voyager spacecraft. All DSN complexes are linked to JPL via a world-wide communications network.

The Deep Space Network, the premier network for deep space communications, allows the Voyager spacecraft to continue to send new and unique data from the far reaches of space. Voyager 1 is the furthest spacecraft from the Sun, even beyond the recently discovered Sedna, and Voyager 2 is the second furthest operating spacecraft. As these distances continue to increase, the DSN is implementing new techniques, such as arraying of antenna and combining of weak signals, that will allow continuing excellent support of the Voyager spacecraft.

The thrilling discoveries during Voyager's 29 years of operation, including the grand tour of the outer planets, would not have been possible without the sustained exemplary support of the Deep Space Network. The excellent Voyager-DSN partnership continues during the Voyager Interstellar Mission as Voyager 1 and 2 enter the transition region between the heliosphere and interstellar space and become humanity's first interstellar probes.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Awesome! I just figured out a way to Hotlink My Hot linked signature picture to the Astronomy Picture of the Day. Woot!

Because everyday is a different picture :D

Go ahead … give it a try =)
Falker

Post by Falker »

Spaceship could help Earth avoid asteroid collision

Astronauts say a "gravitational tractor" could prevent an asteroid from colliding with Earth.

The stock answer usually involves nuclear missiles, robotic impactors or some other aggressive technique. But such methods may well fall short. Even after the asteroid was blown up, large chunks could still strike Earth. Now NASA astronauts Edward Lu and Stanley Love have come up with a much gentler solution. They argue that a killer asteroid could be eased off its collision course simply by applying gravity.

Their plan calls for an unmanned spacecraft called a "gravitational tractor" to hover near an asteroid for a period of months or years. The small gravitational force exerted on the asteroid by the vehicle -- perhaps as little as a quarter of a pound -- would be enough to nudge the rock into a slightly different orbit, averting a crack-up. You just want to hang there and let the spacecraft gradually adjust the asteroid's course," Love says.

For example, to deflect a 700-foot asteroid, the astronauts envision a 20-ton nuclear-powered spacecraft shaped like a pendulum, with the heaviest part closest to the asteroid. This arrangement will produce the greatest gravitational force and will also help keep the ship stable as it hovers next to the asteroid.But the first real-world test might involve a much bigger asteroid known as 99942 Apophis, which is between 1,000 and 1,300 feet long and weighs perhaps 50 million tons.

There is a very small chance -- from 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000 -- that this massive rock will hit Earth in 2036. Love and Lu say that if a gravitational tractor were sent up before 2029, when the asteroid will make a close pass to Earth, the job would be relatively easy, requiring just a one-ton spacecraft to make the necessary small adjustment in Apophis's trajectory.

"It's like changing the angle of a bank shot in pool," Love says. "A little change early.
zontobi

Post by zontobi »

No no no. Those aren't aliens. That's a picture of my mirror after I sneeze on it.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Orbital Outposts: A Better Bet than a Moonbase?

Because we are planetary creatures, most people assume the first and most numerous space settlements must be on the Moon or Mars. In fact, we may live in orbit long before settling the Moon or Mars, and there may always be far more space settlers in orbit than on any planet or moon. Orbital settlements are huge spacecraft, big enough for many thousands to live in comfortably, that provide radiation protection, a breathable atmosphere, nearly self-sufficient life support, and that rotate to provide something that feels much like Earth-normal gravity at the rim.
Why do I think orbital settlements will precede and vastly outperform those on planets and moons? Three reasons:

1. It's easier.

2. There's more.

3. The kids will be able to visit Earth

It's Easier

Getting back and forth to orbit is far easier than getting to the Moon or Mars, which is why we've had space stations circling Earth for thirty years and have yet to see the first base on the Moon much less on Mars.
Location is also critical for economic self-sufficiency. Thriving communities beyond Earth can't be an endless drain on Earth's economy, and settlements in Earth Orbit can provide energy, exotic materials, and a tourist destination for earthlings. Nearly unlimited, clean, electrical power can be provided by giant solar arrays in orbit that beam energy to Earth. Asteroids in orbit near Earth have vast quantities of valuable metals -- one small Earth-approaching asteroid has been valued at $20 trillion! Finally, Earth orbit is already a tourist destination, and studies suggest that the space tourist market is around $50 billion/year (five million flights at $10,000 per).

In most orbits there is a continuous supply of solar energy. Even settlements in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) only lack sunlight for 40 minutes at a time and can be supplied by energy beamed from solar power satellites in sunnier orbits. The Moon's night is two weeks long! Mars has reasonable length nights, but features dust storms, an atmosphere, and is much further from the Sun requiring much larger arrays for the same power. Nuclear power is fine for small bases and short stays, but for a civilization of millions, importing nuclear fuel from Earth is completely impractical. Local sources of fuel must be found and mining, separation, transportation, and processing may be more difficult than bringing lunar or asteroidal materials to Earth orbit.

Finally, there is a smooth path from where we are now to orbital settlements. Today we have the International Space Station (ISS) in orbit and Bigelow Aerospace is flying Genesis I, the first privately financed space station. Bigelow has also committed to flying a private station capable of hosting three people within a few years. It's not a big step from these stations to the first space hotels. When space hotels get larger and more elaborate, it may make sense to rotate parts of them to gain pseudo-gravity just to simplify certain aspects of living (think bathroom). From there, it's a short step to low-g facilities for the handicapped -- no wheelchairs needed. Long-term employees of these facilities may decide they'd like to stay in orbit rather than return home. Maids and bell boys may well be the first space settlers!

It's More

On planets you live on the outside of a massive, solid sphere. Orbital settlements are hollow: you live on the inside. The single largest asteroid, Ceres, provides enough materials to build orbital space colonies with 1g living area equal to at least a hundred times the surface area of Earth. Orbital space settlement will be the greatest expansion of life ever.
This has tremendous implications. The Earth holds about six and a half billion people at present, and is considered very crowded. However, most of our planet's surface is nearly uninhabited. The oceans, the frozen wastes of Alaska, Canada, and Siberia, and the vast deserts of Africa, the Middle East, central Asia, the western United States, and Australia have extremely small populations. By contrast, all of an orbital settlement's area can be more-or-less any way we want it, from the temperature to the rainfall. Orbital space settlement in this solar system can provide space for ten trillion or more human beings living in excellent conditions.

The Kids

All of life has evolved under the force of Earth's gravity. The strength of that force plays a major role in the way our bodies work, including the development and maintenance of human bone and muscle. The potential effects of lower Lunar or Martian g levels are unknown, but a large orbital space settlement can be rotated to have nearly any pseudo-gravity desired. Children raised in orbital settlements should have no problem visiting Earth.

In Conclusion

We can all look forward to the day when there are thriving communities of human beings living and working on the Moon and Mars. However, it may very well be that, long before then, there are vast numbers of settlements in orbit. Starting in Earth orbit, our solar-system-wide civilization will expand to take advantage of near-Earth asteroids, those closer to the sun, and eventually even the Martian moons for materials. Then it's off the asteroid belt for the richest mine of near-weightless materials in the solar system. After that, who knows, the sky is definitely not the limit!
Falker

Post by Falker »

Rocket Racing
The Next Evolution in Racing

Imagine several rocket planes zooming overhead at speeds
over 320 mph, racing in midair
on a virtual course.

That's the call from Granger Whitelaw, President of the Rocket Racing League. The group announced today it is establishing a world headquarters in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Instead of racing high performance cars around a ground track, the Rocket Racing League's track will host piloted, rocket-powered X-Racer vehicles zooming around a three-dimensional track that reaches into the sky.

Whitelaw is a two-time Indianapolis 500 champion team partner. The League's mission is to serve as a technology accelerator in the areas of airframe, propulsion and spacecraft.

Rocket Racing Web Site

Rocket Racing Video

Other Videos

The Rocket Racing League is currently hiring and is especially interested in executive talent with experience in the car race industry. If you feel you have a background that's a good fit, we'd like to hear from you.
careers@rocketracingleague.com
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

now that looks cool and like fun. i wonder if we can have a flight sim that does that??? :) i know there is a nevada air race sim already...
Helmut
Falker

Post by Falker »

If they were in town , I know I’d go see them. I’m wondering how they can pull this off without crashing into each other. This reminds me alot of something Star Trek came up with where they would have a race in space at Star Fleet Academy once a year.