Upcoming Movies Worth Watching

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Upcoming Movies Worth Watching

Post by Falker »

This should be worth the $8.00 to watch at the theatre. Im still not paying 6 bucks for the popcorn tho. Maybe I'll sneak a pack of M&M's in with me :)

The Departed

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/departe ... ailer.html
We're in the pipe , five by five.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

M&M man wimp

Last time I had a bottle of coke chips and some M&M's

tho nothing beats when i was getting all new release movies free in theaters the day before release. I was playing battletech at a shop and we played every wed tell 1 am. The Comic book store owner had a deal with the local and big theater (20 screans) to display collectables in the theater. Say spyderman came out, then he would have gass cases filled with spiderman crap. But what the theater owner did in return was at 2 am on wed nights when he had to watch the newest movie before showing it to make sure it was a good, we got to sit in as well. We would bring a cooler with beer and everything and have a theater to about 20 of us. Nothing beats new movie in theater with cold beer and other goodies.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

One movie which will be worth watching is "Inland Empire". This is the latest movie from David Lynch and will be released September 29th. The movie premiered at the Venice Film Festival and all of the critics reviews so far have been extremely favorable.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Softball

Post by Softball »

Looks like a cool movie, I like Jack. Here is a link to the HD version of the trailer. You need the lastest version of QT to view the HD trailers.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedeparted/hd/

I love going to the movies and hearing multiple cans of whatever being cracked open, always cracks me up. We always cook our own popcorn and get snacks before going to a movie. When the food in the theater costs more than the tickets alone, that's just absurd. Robbery.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Falker

Post by Falker »

Halo The Movie 2008

After they crash-land on an artificial ring-world called "Halo", a marine captain, his surviving marines, and a genetically-and-surgically-enhanced supersoldier called "Master Chief" must find out what the Covenant, the genocidal alien race they are at war with, are looking for on the ring. However, Halo holds more secrets than either side imagined.

Aug 12, 2006
Halo the Movie will be directed by first time director Neill Blomkamp. Neill has directed a few short films and commercials before, but this is his first major movie.

A native of South Africa, Blomkamp directed the acclaimed 2005 short film, Alive in Joburg, that depicted a future in which extraterrestrials have become refugees. Last year, Blomkamp also received three Clio Awards and a Visual Effects Society Award for his television commercial Citroen-Alive with Technology. In 2004, Blomkamp was recognized as "One of the Top Five Directors to Watch" at the First Boards Awards and was a featured artist at the Saatchi & Saatchi New Directors Showcase at Cannes. He has also been nominated for an Emmy award for his work on an episode of James Cameron's Dark Angel.

Other rumors are now springing up that Denzel Washington will be playing Master Chief. This rumor is coming after the Associated Press reported that Denzel had met with Halo Executive Producer Peter Jackson in New Zealand about the two working together, possibly with Washington directing another Jackson-produced film that Weta would do the visual effects for. Denzel as Master Chief? I could see that.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

"Flags Of Our Fathers" directed by Clint Eastwood looks like a real winner. It's about the USMC and the Iwo Jima battle during WWII.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Falker

Post by Falker »

Flags of Our Fathers

The life stories of the six men who raised the flag at The Battle of Iwo Jima, a turning point in WWII

Looks Cool ! I wonder if Clint Eastwood will do a walk on. Im thinking maybe so. He must have some of that Kelly's Heroes left in him :wink:

Main Site:
http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/
Falker

Post by Falker »

oops
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

If you read the book "Flags of our Fathers" you will find that it is a sort of tragic tale as a middle aged son finds that his father is one of the guys inthe photo but never knew it, as his dad never said anything about it. Other than 2 people in that photo, the others either died later in combat, or coudnt handle the fame and completly came apart. I do recommend you read the book as Hollywood tends to fuck these things up big time.

Now Falker, a small bone to pick here. Iwo was not the turning point of the war. By the time we landed at Iwo, the war was going badly for Japan. it was just a matter of time and lives lost at this time. The turning point was 2 seperate enegagements that happened around the same time.

1. Midway. Here the IJN lost the biggest advantage it had, the ability to conduct major offensive opperations with thair carriers. They took a big hit here and then in the Coral Sea and never regained their inititive. Basically we cut the legs out from under their offensive plans. From here till the end of the war, they were playing defense at sea.

2. Guadacannal. This was the real killer to the Japanese. If the IJN/IJA (yes I treat them as 2 separate and sometimes oppsed entities) had suceeded in building a major air hub there, they would have damn near crippled the lines of communication between the US and Austraila, and that would have prolonged the war and possabley subjected the Aussies to occupation. By not isolating Austraila, Japan was doomed in the south pacific, and allowed the US to have a large, advanced stagging base in the theator of operations. Germany did thesame thing when they failed to occupy England et al. Also consider that Guadalcannal became a meat grinder for their air forces, the 1 thing they had a major advantage with in the early war years. The cost of men, aircraft, fuel, oil, and all that needed to support all that was ground to dust over and in the SW Pacific. Once the Marines held Gaudalcannal in the 1st battle (there were actually 2 battles here) the Japanese were on the defensive from here all the way to V-J Day. Between the actions in the Solomans and that in New Guiena (where the Aussies held the line for a long time till we could help) Japan lost 4 Air Fleets. Think of the US loosing the 8th, 9th, and 15th Air Forces (completely) for comparisons. Japan needed to strike hard, deep and consolodate their areas before the US industry and resources overtook them. Remember their primary goal was the oil and natural resources of the SE pacific and the rest was to secure our and the allies responces to that, and hope that they could force the Allies to step away and let them do it. They had neither the resouces nor the manpower for a war of attrition. What they had was a militaristic socity with very high technical arsonel at the begining of the war. Their pilots were very skilled and their combat leaders were very good. But after Midway and Guadacannal, they were all dead or POW's, and the experence gap closed and then past Japan in about 10 months time. Once the US introduced their 2nd generation aircraft to the theater, and then the 3rd and 4th generation, Japan was still using the same 1st generation stuff they started with. Sure they imporved it, but it was still 1st generation, and the US manufacturing capability was already in high gear. Japan was doomed, it just took them another 3 years to figure it out.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Anyone seen Flyboys yet? worth the eight bucks?
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:Anyone seen Flyboys yet? worth the eight bucks?
Probably not. I have not seen the movie myself but it got shredded by most critics.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flyboys/

The movie had a 60 million dollar budget and it only made 6 million on opening weekend. Can you say bomb?
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Buffalo Six wrote:advanced stagging base in the theater
With daily showings of such classics as 'Das Booty', 'Shaving Ryan's Privates', and 'McCarthur's Hot WACs Treatment'!

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple