Doctor Who

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Doctor Who

Post by Grifter »

For those of you who might be interested, Doctor Who is a great scifi series; arguably, one of the best ever to air on television despite its low budget and lousy effects. Great writing and strong characters make this show worth watching. The new series continues in the tradition of the original series, it has the same tempo, atmosphere, and strong plots, but the effects are slightly better with the advent of CGI. Anyway, I'm off to bed, but thought I would direct your attention to the show; it airs on Friday nights at 8pm. The BBC website is awesome as well, jammed packed with great information and entertaining media:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/guide.shtml

Laters. PDT_Armataz_01_12
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I was happy happy happy when Dr Who came to Sci Fi last year. I wish they'd show the old stuff, too, as I've not seen the overwhelming majority of it.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

and they should show it, I think. Why not, they are the scifi channel after all. sheesh.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Because SFC is TEH CHEAP, that's why. :(

Remember this is the channel that decided to can SG-1 after year 10, even though it's still going strong, just because.
The Jedi Master
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I watched Dr. Who religiously back in the late 70's when the role was played by Tom Baker. I haven't watched any of the episodes from the new Dr. Who show but that's mostly because I'm too busy watching other things right now.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

have they canned SG-1? Shame on them. They have not finished the story. Do they at least plan to end the current plotline properly?
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:have they canned SG-1? Shame on them.
Correct, Season 10 will be the last one. It's possible but unlikely that another network will pick up the show for an 11th season.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Grifter wrote:have they canned SG-1? Shame on them. They have not finished the story. Do they at least plan to end the current plotline properly?
From what I've heard, there will be 2 straight-to-DVD productions to finish first the current storyline, and then to finish the series. Sort of like the Farscape miniseries that brought back some characters and killed off others.
The Jedi Master
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

well that sucks. They ought to finish it on the air since that is where most of the fans expect it to be. stupid.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

for those Dr Who fans amongst you, BBC3 is starting a spin-off show called Torchwood on Friday. Supposedly a bit more grown up and darker, it's being touted as a 'British X-Files' (though without the same sort of budget).
The Torchwood Institute, and the lead character, Captain Jack, have feature in the latest 2 series of Dr Who (i.e. the one with Christopher Eccleston, and David Tenant as the Dr)
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Interesting, may have to get on dvd ...don't have BBC 3 here.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

mate, a lot of people here don't have t :P. Once it's been on a while, i'm sure it'll turn up as a torrent somewhere
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Yes, I have watched that Torchwood for an episode or two, it's based in Cardiff mainly for filming. Strangely enough that's where my company will be moving to in the near future. Working from an ex-RAF airbase in St Athan.
Actually I preferred the Jon Pertwee Dr Who character myself. I think he was the second Dr Who, not sure now.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Think he was the fourth...and yes, I liked him a great deal.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Doctor Who 'Season 3' is on Sci Fi Friday's at 9 pm.

TD
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Already seen all three seasons. It's done airing in the UK; least through season 3 anyway... it continues to be good.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Doctor Who Series 4 Cinema trailer:

TARDIS

TD
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

can't wait i need to buy this series soon to
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

To each his own of course but I tried watching a couple of episodes of the new Dr. Who and I just cant get over its inherent cheese factor. I just dont like the "vibe" of the show.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

To each his own as you say. I dont' find it particularly cheesy myself; in fact, it has a certain appeal that has always been part of the series---all 38 plus years of it.