Hypothetical survey

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

If tax on beer were increased, would it result in your buying fewer cigarettes?

Poll ended at 05 Jan 2008, 23:26

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 10

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Softball wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input, I REALLY appreciate it.
You're welcome Softball. That reminds me, it's been a while since I've smoked a good cigar and had a good glass of Cognac. Hmm..maybe this weekend.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

PanzerMeyer wrote: That reminds me, it's been a while since I've smoked a good cigar and had a good glass of Cognac. Hmm..maybe this weekend.
Its aChristmas tradition/ New year tradition with me while relaxing on Xmas day or New Years day to have a large Cigar and a bottle of 18 year old Single malt Whiskey at hand, But i don't usually smoke Cigars on any other occasion, but i do have a few spare this year so i suppose i will just have to force myself to have them and finish that whisky off at some point. PDT_Armataz_01_12
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

before new years I was cleaning out a cabinet and found 10 bottles of Patron Anjeo and 2 bottles of 18 year old single malt......ok so after new years there are only 8 bottles of patron left but Nem.....I like how your thinking
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Did you say Patron???? Me want one!

By the way my wife is pregnant again and we are having another girl, due sometime in June.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Nemisis wrote:I smoke and Drink although i don't drink a lot, but raising the price of one would not affect how much i buy of the other.

As far the tax on Smoking is concerned and how it would affect the Governments budget, The UK is having a problem with this since Cigarettes and Tobacco are very cheap in the European Union but not in the UK. Only 7 miles or so of sea separates it from the UK a lot of people go to the EU and buy loads of Tobacco Tax free, bring it back and sell it cheap (yes there is a limit as to what you are allowed to bring in but lets just say supply of tax free Tobacco is not a problem)and hence the Government gets no Tax Cut from the sale.

Might sound like a small problem but put it this way i know a lot of other smokers from work and friends and family and i don't know one of them that buys Ciggies or tobacco from the shops they all buy it from other sources so the government is already making huge losses here from lack of Tax revenue from Ciggy sales.

My opinion on this is tuff luck on th Government we are already paying �1.03 for a litre of petrol or �4.67 a gallon. Uk Taxes are astronomical compared to other EU countries yet we seem to have the worst Rail, Roads, Health care, yadda, yadda yadda, compared with other Eu countries so where is it all that tax money going??

Now look what's happened you got me talking about politics AAAAAHHHH!

All politicians are crooks and backstabbers out to do nothing for anyone else, unless it puts more money or power in their pocket. B*****DS! Kill them all, Kill them all. (Takes deep breath) Ok i'm better now! What was the Question??
All good points mate...given the substantial amounts of tax we pay on everything, petrol, ciggies, alcohol, VAT all that crap, then road tax, congestion charges etc I do wonder what fat cat either at or near the top is getting all the cream. Whilst the various state operated services in the UK are by no means 3rd World, for the amount of money that the British taxpayers, motorists etc all fork out over the course of a year, they're not up to scratch imo
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
Softball

Post by Softball »

Way to change the subject DA. LOL!

Congrats BTW. :)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I hate the money I make from working. I just love giving it all to the government. It rules and stuff!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen