Hypothetical survey

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

If tax on beer were increased, would it result in your buying fewer cigarettes?

Poll ended at 05 Jan 2008, 23:26

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 10

Softball

Hypothetical survey

Post by Softball »

I have to conduct a survey for my Economics class, and the subject is a little out of my area of interest. It is regarding smoking and drinking (Neither of which I do). So, even if you do not smoke or drink, I want to ask a hypothetical question in a poll. Please answer honestly, this poll will run until Saturday, January 5th, 2008. Thanks for your input.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I voted but I really fail to see the connection between tax on beer going up and that causing me to buy less cigarettes.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I don't smoke anymore, but if I still did a tax increase on beer would result in me buying less beer.

:cheers:

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Tach Deneva wrote:I don't smoke anymore, but if I still did a tax increase on beer would result in me buying less beer.

:cheers:

TD
Ok, now THAT I can understand!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

if u drink but don't smoke or don't drink and smoke then isent this a null and void thing. i drink but don't smoke, so hey my answer is no but my answer means nothing

Now say Tach or Hondo would be better people for this. Tach a former smoker Hondo a casual smoker, could give some better answers
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I smoke and drink somewhat but I don't drink that much beer and even I don't understand the question unless there is some connection between the two somehow.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Softball

Post by Softball »

It has to do with "Price Elasticity of Demand". If raising or lowering the price of one good, does it effect the demand for another related good? Like I said, this is a question way out of my area of interest, I do not have any close friends who smoke or drink, so I opted to ask people I know online their opinion.

The question itself is very limited (to smokers and drinkers), but I suppose I could have replaced the item of interest with another good that more people can relate to.

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

hmmm...what if a majority of people stopped doing both....the states would go broke.

I actually remember a tin of Skoal cost .98$ and now I believe i paid $4.60 for a can the other day....and I suspect 90% of that cost is taxes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:hmmm...what if a majority of people stopped doing both....the states would go broke.
Yeah, aint that ironic? The states tax alcohol and tobacco supposedly to discourage their use but yet if people stopped drinking and smoking, a HUGE source of income for the states would stop.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

I "dip" for the Children
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

i';l ask my bro - he drinks and smokes, but recently reduced his smoking to when he goes out drinking..if that makes any sense.

I just drink.
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

This whiskey poet just drinks. So like others said, you're going to get skewed results without more options in the survey. But then again, just fudge the result....f' it.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Your right softball a large portion of drinkers smoke and of those who do smoke more when they drink, so yes people would stop smoking as much. I know because I am one of them. And yes I smoke for my childs sake LoL! :cheers:

DA
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I smoke and Drink although i don't drink a lot, but raising the price of one would not affect how much i buy of the other.

As far the tax on Smoking is concerned and how it would affect the Governments budget, The UK is having a problem with this since Cigarettes and Tobacco are very cheap in the European Union but not in the UK. Only 7 miles or so of sea separates it from the UK a lot of people go to the EU and buy loads of Tobacco Tax free, bring it back and sell it cheap (yes there is a limit as to what you are allowed to bring in but lets just say supply of tax free Tobacco is not a problem)and hence the Government gets no Tax Cut from the sale.

Might sound like a small problem but put it this way i know a lot of other smokers from work and friends and family and i don't know one of them that buys Ciggies or tobacco from the shops they all buy it from other sources so the government is already making huge losses here from lack of Tax revenue from Ciggy sales.

My opinion on this is tuff luck on th Government we are already paying £1.03 for a litre of petrol or £4.67 a gallon. Uk Taxes are astronomical compared to other EU countries yet we seem to have the worst Rail, Roads, Health care, yadda, yadda yadda, compared with other Eu countries so where is it all that tax money going??

Now look what's happened you got me talking about politics AAAAAHHHH!

All politicians are crooks and backstabbers out to do nothing for anyone else, unless it puts more money or power in their pocket. B*****DS! Kill them all, Kill them all. (Takes deep breath) Ok i'm better now! What was the Question??
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Its the same thing here Nemisis. A pack of CIGS here in Cook county cost about $7.25 a pack on the south side and downtown they are about $8.75. If you were to strip away all the taxes and such a pack would be about &2.75 and the Tobacco Giants even drops that price so the cigs can be about &6.75 a pack.

Then their is Indiana and the Indian Reservations: In Indiana a pack of cigs has very little tax and well the Blessed Indian Reservations have no tax and they sell the cigs dirt cheap online but make a mint. People buy them from Indiana and the reservations hell counties right outside of cook and then bring them in and make a fortune, I've even seen them at the bus stop selling individual cigs. Of course if your caught then the government is going to jump down your throat. I've always said ain't nothin illegal profit wise as long as your paying some kind of tax on it. Stop payin your taxes then the government has a serious problem with you.

DA
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, the question really makes sense to folks that do both... and a lot of folks that do one do the other. so the question is legit. put yourself in the shoes of someonje that does both - and if you think enough you definitely know someone... if someone smokes, raising taxes on beer is NOT going to cause them to buy less cigarettes... folks that smoke are definitely more dependant on their smoking than their drinking.
Helmut
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

One does affect the other Steel, I would have to say enough people do most of their smoking when they drink. There is scientific study that shows you crave cigarettes more when you drink a high concentration of caffeine, sugar and alcohol after I drink a mug of coffee I want a cigarette bad. So if beer tax goes up some will not drink as much beer (not where I'm from) thus cutting back on your smoking.

Tell you the truth most if not all quit smoking programs immediately cut out anything with processed sugar, caffeine and no alchol while you are in detox (your first 30 days, yes thats how long it takes to get enough of the nicotine out of your system in order to loose the taste for it).

DA
Gator

Post by Gator »

i answered "no" because, since I don't smoke at all, raising the tax on beer would not modify my cigarette buying habits (I would buy exactly the same number of cigarettes as I do now - zero.)
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Gator wrote:i answered "no" because, since I don't smoke at all, raising the tax on beer would not modify my cigarette buying habits (I would buy exactly the same number of cigarettes as I do now - zero.)
LOL! Succinctly stated.
Softball

Post by Softball »

I know everyone here is NOT included, I want to know what you would do if you DID drink and you DID smoke. Thus why the title of this thread is called "Hypothetical Survey". I'm not implying that anyone here does both. I just wanted to get some data for my paper I have to write on the question at hand.

Thank you everyone for your input, I REALLY appreciate it.