Science Fiction Novels

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Science Fiction Novels

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Which sci-fi novels have you read?

I am almost done reading Chapterhouse Dune which is the sixth book in the original Dune series written by Frank Herbert. I next plan on reading "2001" since I recently watched the movie again and I really want to see what Arthur C. Clarkes writing style is like.

I tried to read The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov when I was in high school but I gave up after I read about 100 pages. I just couldn't get into it at the time. However, I do plan on giving it another shot in the future.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Battletech, have all except the first one (sword and dagger)
Olson Scot cards Enders books (first is Enders game, AMAZING book)
Joe Haldeman Forever war, forever piece and forever free books, amazing, read the starship troopers novel before or after reading forever war. Diffrent story's but fun to look at similarities and they jsut seam to be good set to read.

Starship troopers novel (stated above)

John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series and Council Wars series.

I am also a big Stackpole fan, battletech books great but he has the dragon crown trilogy, fantasy but its worth it.

But all books above I have read or are in the middle of the series (I read a book forn series A then move to series B and da da da, ) and love them all. I ma picky on my books but if I had to say favorates then put Enders Game, Forever War, Stackpoles battletech trilogy book sets (succesion wars and clan invasion sets) would be the top picks.
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

I tend to read more fantasy and horror than pure science fiction, but I'm a big fan of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and reread it periodically. It's one of my all-time favorite books. I also enjoy old classics like H.G. Wells The War of the Worlds and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. I heartily recommend Jack Williamson's With Folded Hands ( a novelette) and the sequels The Humanoids and The Humanoid Touch.

Last summer I read Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear, which are evidently part of a series called 'The Way'. They were okay, but did not leave a lasting impression as I had to look them up on Wikipedia to remember what they were about. Regardless of genre, I prefer stories with well-crafted characters, which was something I felt was lacking in the Greg Bear books.

Right now I'm rereading Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. While I have not enjoyed his later works nearly as much, this one contains some of the most heartbreakingly beautiful prose I've ever read.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Softball

Post by Softball »

Sadly, none. I usually only fantasy or military type books.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I read a lot of the Warhammer 40,000 novels - especially recommended would be the Gaunt's Ghosts sereis (about a stealth recon infantry unit) and the Eisenhorn trilogy (about an imperial inquisitor)...never going to break records for writing quality, but very entertaining nonetheless.
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]