Back Online Again!

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Nemisis

Back Online Again!

Post by Nemisis »

Well I am back online again after losing my internet connection for nearly 2 weeks!

It all started when I noticed that my ISP was offering up to 8MB connection at the same price I was paying for 1MB, I know my line can't handle 8MB due to the distance to the exchange where I live, but after checking online it seems I can get up to 2MB on the line so I opt to upgrade. The next day I came home from work and I could not get online. So I done the usual thing of checking the phone was working and then checking the connections for the extension lead. No joy! I then do the usual, check the modem uninstall and reinstall, try the other spare modem all to no avail.The next thing is to call up the ISP and see what they have to say.

Well thats when the fun begins.

Day 1:
I call up and get connected with a very nice woman in India (not so good a start as my ISP obviously uses Indian call centres so we both are going to have trouble understanding each other). We go through the usual things that I have all ready tried (See above) she then says they will call me back in the next 24 hours after they have tried something.

Day 3:
I don't get a call back so I call them again the next day and get asked to go through all the same stuff again, which I refuse to do as I tell them I have already done it myself and again with the woman 2 days ago and it also involves moving my computer half way across the house to the main telephone master socket.

So they check my line (why didn't they do that the first time???) and there does appear to be a fault at my local telephone exchange. I am told this will be taken care of and I will be back online in a maximum 3 days.

Bugger that means nearly a week of no internet access, no way to check my bank account, no online gaming with you guys and a host of other things that I need internet access for, that old saying you don't know what you got till it's gone is true.

Day 4:
I call up British telecom (this company supplies my house phone and are the ones in charge of fixing any line faults) to get an engineer out to check all the sockets in my house just to make sure the problem is not with my connections and he duely appears an hour later (fast service or what PDT_Armataz_01_34 ) and they are all working fine I am told.

Day 6:
3 days pass and i'm still offline.

Day 7:
4th day since my last contact so I call them, and guess what? I am asked to check all the previous things again! I refuse again saying that "You have already done this and you have already checked my line and found a fault at the exchange which I was told was going to be fixed by yesterday at the latest but hasn't been" They then say they need to call me back as they need to check and find out what the exact status of the repair is. PDT_Armataz_01_16 Since they are in India and my exchange is in England this is going to take time.

They do call back this time, The fault is being worked and I am assured that I will be online by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Day 8:
Still no broadband. PDT_Armataz_01_17

Day 9:
I make another call and they tell me that i will definitely be online by tomorrow afternoon, I remind them, not so diplomatically that i was told something similiar yesterday, but am assured that it will be fixed.

Day 10 (late evening)
No Broadband! PDT_Armataz_01_19 Another call and i'm told that yet again they will have to call me back as they need to check on the status of the repair PDT_Armataz_01_05

Day 11(Sunday Morning 08:00)
I get a call at the above time on a Sunday morning (not that early for some but remember I work till 01:00 and I am up till 04:00 nearly every night so this is a damm early call for me) the Fault is more complex than first thought and they need to replace some wiring at the exchange.
No emoticons at this point as i have lost all hope of getting back online within the next month by now and it is 08:00 in the morning and i have had less than 3 hours sleep so far. I'm told it will be fixed by tomorrow.

Day 12:
You guessed it!

Day 13:
Get a call and am told that the fault has just been fixed and could I please check if I can get online now! A quick glance at the computer tells me the answer is no as the little green light on the modem is still flashing indicating it is getting no signal down the line, but in a vain hope I restart the system. Still no Broadband, So I am told that she is checking the line right now and it does appear to be working can I please plug the modem into the main master socket to check there, this is a waste of time at this point as I already called out a British telecom engineer to test all the lines and sockets in my house and they all got a clean bill of health, but to humour her I say i'll do it but it will take about 5-10 minutes to move the computer, plug it all back together and restart it, "Ok" she says, and waits for me to do this.

PC moved and restarted, NO JOY! So she tells me the she just needs to check something again and comes back a minute later and says the the line is definitely active and that if I can't get online now the problem must now lie in my modem and she will get a new one sent out immediately but it might take 5 days to arrive. Guess what i'm thinking at this point? I try to explain that the modem is fine as I have 2 and they both show the same error fault and that the line must still be faulty, but she quickly says that we have to wait and check the new modem first and says goodbye. Less than 30 seconds later the little green light stops flashing and stays on constantly! I tentatively click on the internet explorer icon and i am instantly back on line again PDT_Armataz_01_37 . Go figure? But is only at my previous speed of 1MB.

After waiting a few minutes for 300 + emails do download I get 10 yes that's 10 from my ISP dated today stating that my order to upgrade has been processed and completed but to expect varying speeds and possible short loss of service for the next 10 days while they test the line for it's maximum capacity. HO HUM

Currently I am running at 800Kbs less than what i had Geez PDT_Armataz_01_07

On the up side, the down time did let me get my entire system reinstalled and it is now running faster than ever as I alter how microsoft installs XP to let me get a faster windows XP Pro experiance, didn't get the chance to do it properly when i got my new processor, GFX card an hard drive last year.

Overall it's been a complete nightmare.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

"Indian call centres so we both are going to have trouble understanding each other"

but they were a colony and speak the Queen's English. It should be a jolly good conversation. :D
Helmut
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Steel wrote:"Indian call centres so we both are going to have trouble understanding each other"

but they were a colony and speak the Queen's English. It should be a jolly good conversation. :D
If only that were true PDT_Armataz_01_20

Indian call centres are the bane of British customer care at the moment, with a vast majority of British banks, Power companies and similiar making thier customer care phone line based in India because they can pay them about 30% of what they would pay them here.

The result is a load of Indians being shouted at loudly by irate British customers that can't get any satisfaction when calling customer care centres due to lack of both parties not being able to understand each others accents and the Indians not actually being British and not understanding our culture properly. Not the Indians fault but the British money skimping companies, as they recieve thousands of complaints about thier complaints department every month.

Some have taken the hint and returned their call centres to Britain others have moved them to South Africa and the same problem arrises, but they say British can understand the south African accents better, but after watching a documentary on the problem last week it's obvious that it's just not the case.

We need British customer care by British people that can empathize with the customer when thier central heating breaks down or thier power is cut off not someone that does not know what central heating is and does not have electricity or Broadband and therefore can't understand the frustration of having that service cut off.

Nothing racist being said here it's just culture clashes, but it is driving people up the wall that the companies won't listen to thier own customers concerns.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

It's great to have you back Nemesis. Do you have LOMAC?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Well you need to make that squaw understand..."Listen miss Cleanshouseinthenude....go tell big Chief Poopsinpants to put down the firewater and...."

er....wait....wrong Indian.....you mean dots not feathers right?

nevermind.....nothing to see here.....move along.....
Softball

Post by Softball »

Welcome back Nemisis. Sounds like someone at your ISP needs an ass whoopin. Glad to hear you got things sorted out.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Isn't Globalization great? lol
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

the world is getting smaller right? ...right?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I was thinking this only the other day....it's amazing how easy it is to communicate globally, and the tasks to which such technological advances have been put. Once it was (and still is) vital for the global economy, international trade etc, but probably making as much of a cultural significance is the advent of online gaming, P2P networking and VOIP software. When one actually thinks about what the console sitting under your TV can actually achieve, it's remarkable.
But the apparently the last BMW M3 had more computing power than the first Moon lander...progress eh?
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

we have the same issue in the US. some companies have finally moved their call centers back to the US as well.
Helmut
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

The thing that made me chuckle most was phoning my mobile phone provider and speaking to a chap who said his name was David Beckham, but was quite clearly a Bombay resident - do they think we're deaf or just stupid?
[img]http://www.151recon.org/Mooses%20Sig.gif[/img]
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

yes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Mooseman wrote:The thing that made me chuckle most was phoning my mobile phone provider and speaking to a chap who said his name was David Beckham, but was quite clearly a Bombay resident - do they think we're deaf or just stupid?
LOL! He could have at least chosen the name of a GOOD soccer player. PDT_Armataz_01_12
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

ok tel me someone has seen the simpsions episode witht he indian guy doing phone support for about 5 diffrent company's PDT_Armataz_01_12