New Game

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Silk wrote: I'd say if you can afford it and no kids, the guy should stay home PDT_Armataz_01_28
LMAO!!

Imagine all the gaming goodness you could get with that kind of arrangement!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Silk

Post by Silk »

That's the whole idea.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Silk, I switched to the Osterman server as Chaos. My friends rerolled on this server for Alliance purposes.

Warhammer really is not too bad, I'm kind of enjoying it actually. There is no looking for PvP; if you want PvP, you jump into a RvR scenario or public quest and kill, kill, kill. When you PvP, you get XP for kills and you get Renoun points (PvP XP), which you can spend on skills and gear. I haven't ventured very far in the game yet, but there are areas of the map that are flagged as RvR and are open PvP. There are public quests that are part of the storyline, that everyone can (Both sides, Order and Chaos) take part in. The results of the public quest will retreat or advance the battlelines depending on the outcome. As you progress through the game, the public quests increase by Chapter numbers. The higher the Chapter number, the tougher the quest/mission. It kind of correlates with your rank (Levels are called Ranks in Warhammer). During the public quests, the two sides (Order and Chaos players) may be fighting among the NPCs, and you can either ignore the PvP or get involved by attacking another player. As soon as you attack another player, you are automatically flagged for PvP and are susceptible to attack. When you die after being flagged for PvP, your PvP flag gets reset. Depending on where the battlelines are on the map, the area you are in can get overrun by NPCs and players. You will need to push back the attackers or the area will remain under siege. You can choose to ignore the public quests and complete the various quests that are available from the NPCs in each map area. Public quests also give you "influence" (Public quest XP) which you can spend on gear or potions. When you complete a Public quest, depending on your contribution during the public quest and your accumulated score, you will be given the opportunity to loot from a chest that drops. Some of the items are decent, and if you have completed a prior PQ event and already have the items that drop (The items are sometimes the same for each drop), you can choose to take currency instead.

Traveling around the map is pretty much the same as WoW; you either hoof it on two feet, find a flight path, or save up for a mount. I am on the Chaos side playing as a Goblin Squig Herder (Ranged DPS) who kind of looks like Yoda. I use a bow and a spear for combat and have a pet squig (a creature with two feet and sharp teeth). There is a combat range associated with ranged weapons, if you are too close to a target for your ranged weapon, you will have to switch to your melee weapon. This happens automatically, just choose a Melee attack power, there's no manual switching of weapons like AoC). I am only Rank 8 so I still have a lot to learn. It seem like the leveling is pretty slow, but I am ok with that. It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you rank up. The max Rank (Level) in Warhammer is 40, but I have read that they are planning for expanding that to Rank 80. There are no loading screens when traversing maps, but there is one when you die or use a flight path.

I have not tried any other races or classes in the game, but I do know that you can only choose one side per server. If you choose Chaos, you can only have Chaos characters on that server. If you want to play as Order on another character, you will have to pick a different server to play on. I can't remember if WoW had this same feature, but I don't have a problem with it. The only problem would be if you wanted to play with your friends on the same server and already had a character on the other side. So far I don't have to deal with that, as the friends I am playing with are already playing as Chaos.

If you liked WoW, then you will most certainly like Warhammer. It's damn near identical with the exception of the few features I mentioned above. The graphics aren't as bad as I thought they would be. They are not as realistic as AoC, but they are better than WoW. My framerates have been in the high 40s throughout the entire game so far, no complaints there. I have had some sync issues with my pet and attacking mobs, getting the occassional "YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO YOUR TARGET" message. I just have to move around until my power icons turn grey (in range).

Overall, I am enjoying Warhammer. I think it has the potential to be a great MMO. Out of the box the game has been rock solid and pretty simple to learn.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Silk

Post by Silk »

Cool, glad your enjoying it.

Yeah traveling is kind of a pain, but not too bad. Map looks bigger than the actual distance to me. I can tell when I go from zone to zone even without a loading screen, I freeze for a sec or two, but haven't been attacked or had major problems from it. What I do like is, the game seems to be overall very stable. I've had a couple crashes and disconnect, but think it's do to my router or internet not the game.

As far as the RvR, I can't believe I love it. When I was playing DDO, they were talking of adding PvP, which I agreed with the many who said don't put it in. I've never enjoyed it, tried it in GW and several others, just never found it fun. Realized part of why I like it in Warhammer. There's no trash talk. I had to laugh the other day when I say in the chat this message, "XXXXX said something, but you don't understand." Saturday got into a big open RvR battle, I had joined with a small group doing some Public Quests. When we finished, we decided to try and take some of the points in the RvR zone. By the time we had the four points we were up to a full war party (24 members), so we decided to try and take the fort. By this time Destruction is responding and our attempt to take the keep is failing and they've retaken one of the points. All of a sudden, I find myself in a battle with at least 40 people on each side battling over this point. It was wild and fun. Watched the battle surge back and forth, time and time again, one side would start to make a push and gain some ground. This went on for a couple hours before Order gave up. We lost that battle, however, I had a blast healing left and right. I've also had a blast with the scenarios. I have always despised PvP, too many gankers and loud mouths. This is just plain fun.

I don't have any characters over 20 yet, my archmage is the highest at 17, warrior priest is 14, and 3 at rank 12. I know some say this class or that class is overpowered, but what I've found is that if you even just have 2 people working together, you can cause all kinds of havoc. To me it seems that people need to pay attention to what is going on around them and work together, that's when it's really fun.

The other thing which has impressed me about Warhammer, is they are putting out little patches, think there's been like 5 since start up. Yesterday they added a function to jump into a scenario from all three realms from anywhere. I've seen some huge complaining about this and bam it's there. If they keep that up, it should be great.

Overall, I'm loving the game, find myself glued to it. Now, if I could just get the kids moved out and wife to be the money maker so I could stay home and game :)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i know what PvP is, but what is RvR?
Helmut
Gator

Post by Gator »

realm v. realm
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Softball

Post by Softball »

What Gator said. During the game, there is a constant war going on over key points on the map. These key points are called RVR maps, in which you will be PVPing with and against other players for control of that map location. If one side gets pushed back far enough, their capital city can be overrun and mass chaos will ensue. The side who's city get's overrun will have to push back the invaders or will remain under siege. There is an actual storyline in the form of Public Quests, which I described above.

I am about 1/2 way up to level 10 on my Squig Herder, but I have limited time to play so I am not progressing very fast. I need to jump into more PvP Scenarios so I can level faster.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Silk

Post by Silk »

I think part of how it differs from PvP also, at least in Warhammer, is you try to work as a team instead of individual. I've seen numerous post complaining about how this class or that class is over powered.

However, when they say that, they aren't seeing or telling the whole story. My boy and I took an Ironbreaker and Rune Priest into a scenario. I had 7 people whaling on me and hardly took any damage. No one went after my boy who was concentrating his whole healing power on me. If only one of those people would have broke off and went after the healer, well, I'd been dead. Very quickly. I've seen Black Orcs with a Shaman following them doing the same. Thus very team orientated.