100 skills every man should know

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

100 skills every man should know

Post by VEGETA »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo ... tml?page=1

fun read and some odd balls I did not expect to see
Softball

Post by Softball »

Interesting, thanks.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Silk

Post by Silk »

Interesting, but they make some sound a heck of a lot easier than they are. The first one that jumped out at me was the using a stick welder. In apprenticeship school did a term on welding. By the time we were done, the instructor (welded all his life and retired) said we knew how but would still need to burn hundreds of pounds of rod before we would be good. So easy to mess it up and burn one hell of a hole in the metal. I could do it in a pinch, but wouldn't want to do it if a life depended on it. Second was the faucet replacement, they show the breakdown of a moen faucet, in my opinion one of the easiest to work on, now get into the Grohe and such, you open another can of worms. The final one was soldering copper tube. Simple, however, a whole lot more to it than most show. Seen quite a few home soldier joints which fail because not done properly. If interested here's a guide http://www.copper.org/applications/plum ... h_toc.html. I'm sure for others that didn't jump off the page at me, they might for others. I guess a lot of what they said is nice to know for emergency, but have seen the cost of something not being done right. 1/2" soldier joint breaks and floods a house very quickly, however, people will still do it.
Falker

Post by Falker »

I always wanted to try this. I applied for a job on the internet a few years ago and went down to this small shop , when I got there , there was this guy running around a small shop brewing beer for local business. He said his shop supplied beer for several restaurants and lacal pubs in the area. Interesting… But of course I was there applying for a Bar Tender Position , and not a Brewer. Tho it did ring some bells.

Go your local microbrew one better. Mix 4 to 5 pounds of malt extract with 5 gal. of water. Boil vigorously for an hour, adding the desired amount and variety of hops at the start and again after 45 minutes of boiling. Cool quickly, then pour into a fermenter and add yeast. “That’s what gives beer its fizz,â€
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well ,… actually I just wanted to throw up a picture of that frosty beer.
We're in the pipe , five by five.