My opinion on Global Warming.Or why the point is really moot

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

My opinion on Global Warming.Or why the point is really moot

Post by Grifter »

Global warming is real and it is causing shifts in climates worldwide. Most research from fairly valid and reliable sources strongly indicate this to be the case.

Al Gore is the worse thing that ever happened to the issue because he's such an easy target. His film may very well have set this particular environmental issue back about twenty years.

You can choose to believe that global is real or not. You can choose to read the real research from real scientists published in real scientific journals and books (not magazines or newspapers), or not. You can choose to be proactive about global warming and take some cautious measures to counteract it or not.

Ultimately, you can choose to live your life as you are now: comfortable knowing that global warming effects will most likely not affect your lifestyle in your lifetime. Most people are incredibly lazy. They don't care to be inconvenienced and simply choose, regardless of their opinion on the matter, to continue to use fossil fuels, litter, eat more than their fair portion of food, buy commodities by the truck load and use their PC's to comment on how bad global warming really is, and how we should all just move back into caves and eat shrubbery and shit bark.

Yes, there is a certain reality here that we must contend with rationally. Most of us are truly not prepared to make reasonable, nevermind dramatic changes. In any case, what would our little contribution to the preservation of mother Earth really matter? These morons driving around in their coffin size, electric cars. Do they think that by minimizing their own carbon footprint, they are making one iota of a difference, really? Fools. No, the change will have to come from political and industry leaders. More industry than political, actually. I don't imagine a politician on either side of the aisle really arguing the point if industry at large suddenly quit oil cold turkey and came up with an energy source that is owned largely by the US. Fat chance. Never will happen, and therefore industry will most likely never change until the proverbial wells run dry.

So, the masses are unwilling to change, industry is unwilling to change, politicians acquiesce to the will of the people....what to do?

Well, I'm going to have myself a huge BBQ and a beer on the first sunny day we get. Yes! Meat and beer when this wretched winter is finally,finally over; assuming, of course, it ever ends. If not, I guess I'll have the beer and fry up my steak on the good ol' skillet.

Can I live with the guilt? Brother, watch me eat my steak and drink my beer, and you'll have your answer.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I don't think the issue is with whether AGW or climate change or whatever exists, the issue is "are man's actions causing it/contributing to it" and "can any change in our behavior short of total genocide make a difference"?

The thing is we don't know SQUAT about long term climate changes. We still don't know why the Little Ice Age occurred. There's evidence Mars is getting warmer. Since WE can't be doing that, maybe it's the sun?

There's obviously no valid argument against us conserving, recycling, and cutting back on pollution. The question is HOW these things should be done. Besides, if places like India and China do whatever they want it will hardly matter what everyone else does.
The Jedi Master
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I was referring to actual claims that I've heard; that some argue that AGW doesn't exist, or that it is a natural occurence that will yield little in the way of ill effects. Seems a little crazy to me.

In regards to what else you've said here, like I said, I'll be drinking my beer and eating my steak over here.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

What little ICE AGE?

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

*finishes his first can of beer.* Best do your research DA. Okay, so it's been a long time since I've looked at this, but I believe Jedi is referring to the Little Ice Age that happened thousands of years ago during the Neolithic period perhaps? I'm sure you can google that and get a brief encyclopedic entry.
Stache

Post by Stache »

There are some really good videos on the web about global warming. Personally I think GW is always occuring, it is the natural way of things. The sun heats the earth, the earth warms, etc.. etc.., on the other hand I dont think al Gore's version of GW is all its cracked up to be, a few people have seen a way to create fear and generate a lot of money on "GW".
Al's version of GW is a business not really about the earth.

Just my humble opinion.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I tend agree Stache. Again, I urge people to read real science journals instead of giving their money to Gore...then join me some steak. ;-p
Stache

Post by Stache »

Absolutely, and just to maybe get people to thinking here is a famous quote that really says it all.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

exactly.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

hence why the second amendment is so important.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Always the second amendment with you. But, yes, Ben Franklin's remark gives credence to the second amendment.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, if we do not have the second ammendment we may as well not have any of the others. they can not be backed up by any citizen.
Helmut