New gaming computer inbound

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

New gaming computer inbound

Post by Softball »

I have been running on a 4 year old PC that has been rock solid over the years. Well, except for the C: Drive crash in Aug 2007 and the 7900GTX DOA earlier that year. The computer has been very good to me.

Welp, I bit the bullet and ordered the rest of the parts for my new gaming rig. (I have been acquiring parts since Feb/Mar) I should have them this week, but probably won't build it until this weekend or next. The system will consist of the following:

1) EVGA i790 Motherboard Ultra SLI 2.0
2) Intel Q9650 (45nm), 3.0Ghz Quad core CPU
3) Corsair 8GB XMS DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
4) XFX Nvidia 295GTX Video Card
5) Corsair 1000W PSU
6) Coolermaster HAF-922 Case
7) Coolermaster V-8 CPU HSF
8 ) (3) WD 1TB SATA-II Hard Drives for a RAID 5 configuration
9) Windows 7, 64-Bit Edition (Going to run the RC on a single 500G HD until its official release).
10) Sony SATA DVD-ROM Drive (Don't need a DVD burner in this rig...yet)

And so it begins...the wait that is. Hopefully I will be able to run ArmA 2 in all its glory and no other problems. *fingers crossed*
Last edited by Softball on 08 Sep 2009, 09:34, edited 3 times in total.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Congrats Softball!!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

Win7 isn't actually a beta - it's a release candidate. Unless you're actually planning on running one of the older beta releases. I heard they discontinued the RC download -- unless you downloaded it already.

On the positive side, you can probably do an easier upgrade from Win7RC to Win7 than you could from XP.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Softball

Post by Softball »

Yea, I meant Windows 7 RC. I have it DLed already on DVD. I have to find the serial# for it though...

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

buy vista home premium with a voucher to upgrade free to windows 7. Home premium can be had form cheep with voucher.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Well, seeing as I pre-ordered Windows 7 for $50 on Amazon back in June, I don't think I need to get Vista. :)

Falker

Post by Falker »

That looks Sweet SB Hope it works out for you man...

I talked to my Brother Striker who just built himself a new computer and is all happy about it. Said he has an I7 with 12 gigs ram with all the extras and two 1GB video cards. He wanted me to ask Steel if he had a good build , but he left out allot of information in his email about all the specs. But yeah , he’s a computer genius ,( like Steel) that use to work for Earthlink. Now he installs computer software and hardware in police cars for the city of Pomona here in So Cal. I think he has about 7 computers at his house , for when his kids friends come over , they all play on LAN.

He’s says he doesn’t know Steel even after I told him that they are so much alike. He also said he was never in ELH , but he knows Brons, and as usual , I think he doesn’t want to give up his secrets.

I myself built a new rig too this last week. Nothing fancy , but it’s like 10 times better than my older set up. I got 1800 DDR3 Kingston and paid extra for it because the other ram sold at Newegg advertises their ram at a higher speed , ( but only if you over-clock it) , I figured Kingston wouldn’t do that. After I put it all together …. now my Motherboard registers it as DDR 1300. I went into Bios and fixed allot of problems and also found out that it only supports up to DDR 1600. ( even though it said it was made for DDR 1800 ) So , I’m going to go down there to my Brothers house in the next week or so and let him streamline my computer for me. If he can.

I also got me an Asus … well wait… lemme just post up some links okay?

Computer Case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... nt-_-text-_-

Computer Core:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103687

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131397

DVD Drive:

Kingston 1800:

CPU Cooler: This thing is a monster! . Come On! I only wanted a bigger cooler than what the CPU came with , but dang, this friggen thing is like 4x4 whoa.. Anyhow , I got it because it came with copper base. I think it may run cooler than others. It was a tight fit.. I had to take out the Motherboard just to install it. I’m still getting a CPU Fan Error. I’m not sure what’s going on with that , but I did bypass the error in my Bios load up. It’s still there , but wont hang up on the error now that I choose to ignore it in Bios. Ever have that problem?

I also ordered me a new Computer power supply from Geeks.com. They had a 900w for only $47 , Now it’s $59. However , I got me the less expensive one , a 680w for only $27 with S&H I’m kind of kinking myself in the ass right about now because I think I should have gotten the 900w with two Video card power hook ups and lots of extra SATA plug-ins. I going to need that before I get back into extreme gaming.

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=PWR

I think that’s it… Love the new case. And so far it’s running sharp. I’m patting myself on the back now that I got it all done right the first time . Hurry for me! =)

It took me about 3 weeks of internet shopping to make up my mind but in the end this set up only cost me $455 with tax and shipping from Newegg. PS was exrtra. I guess since I ordered so much from new egg that it only cost me $27 for shipping. Nice huh. I always knew that it’s possible to shop around and take your time to get a nice set up , for under five bones. Now if I want to run high graphic games , I think I’ll need another Video card. Or two. That could set me back a few lol.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Nice job putting together that rig for such a low price. I decided that if I am going to upgrade I might as well put some money into it so it will last a bit longer. Speaking of the HSF, you should see the box the V-8 HSF came in, it's bigger than the video card box for the 295GTX.

My current PC (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 2GB DDR RAM, 8800GTX, SB X-FI Sound, 1TB HD Space (2x500GB)) has lasted me almost 4 years, and I can still run today's games (Aside from ArmA 2 which overheats my video card and freezes my computer for whatever reason). I would say for a 4 year old PC, it is just beginning to show its age. If I didn't want to play ArmA 2 so bad, I probably would have foregone the upgrade a bit longer. I'm hoping to get the new system up and running soon, I'm just waiting for a few more parts to come in.

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Well Softball, you will love the HAF case, I actually was able to get blue fans for mine from CM's web page. That PSU is also great. I have been running one now for about what 9 months for SLI and it's never made a hick-up.....
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

This year I plan on getting a better video card. Next year I'll go to a new Mobo and CPU.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Softball

Post by Softball »

I'm slowly but surely getting my new gaming rig up to speed. I'm not going to install too many games (So far I only have Arma 2 and CoD: World at War installed), I'm going to wait until I get the full version of Windows 7 before completely switching over. I do not want to have to deal with DRM and multiple installs on certain games, so I will just run the bare minimum on the new rig and continue to use my current computer.

One thing I really like about Windows 7 is that it will search the web for the latest drivers for just about every piece of hardware installed. For example, when I build a new PC, the first thing I will usually do is install the MB and other related drivers from the CD that comes with the MB. After installing Windows 7, I went to the Device Manager to install / update the drivers, and Windows 7 had already DLed or installed the most current drivers. Pretty damned cool; I'm really digging Windows 7 so far.

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

win 7 is rtm if you have access through msdn or whatever - can just keep rearming the eval period - legit and documented process from ms at this point until you get it next month - it allows for entering no key or changing keys after install.... it doesnt seem flawless but it doesnt seem that bad either...
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Softball wrote:I'm really digging Windows 7 so far.
What are some games that you still play that are over 5 years old? If there are any, you may want to test them soon and see if they run with Win 7.