Moving over to Fedora

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

Re: Moving over to Fedora

Post by Hudson »

Ya, I just read another article about flash being incorporated into IE10 in Windows 8. Of course when in Metro mode you will only be able to use flash on a whitelisted set of websites. All others if you want to use flash you have to use desktop mode. People aren't going to know what the hell is going on. What a fiasco.

They've already confused sites like this one, which seems to think the whitelist is just a blanket coverage for Desktop and Metro versions:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/256148/w ... sites.html

This one from Ars was the one I originally read that spells it out a little more clearly.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... obe-flash/
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I got Arma2 OA/PMC/BAF working today.

That brings the list to:
Arma2
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War 2: Retribution
Ghost Recon
Rainbow Six 3: RavenShield
IL-2: 1946
L4D / L4D2
Men of War
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Supreme Commander 2
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3

I'm not going to lie and say they're all perfect (most are though!) or easy to install (this tends to be the pita part, and I give PlayOnLinux props for being a life saver), but many are and were. :)
I wish that the DCS games did not use starforce drm. I suspect that it would run otherwise, as they'll work up until you actually try to fly and it calls the starforce garbage.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

That's great news Hudson! I'll definitely be online this Friday night if you want to play anything. Jedi should be around as well.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hey Hudson

Looks like you can run MWO in wine
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/69026- ... wine-1516/
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Nice! I will try to look at that later - it doesn't seem to be loading right now.

I looked in the wine appdb when I saw you guys chatting about it, but it was't very encouraging:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=14495

The problem is sometimes people are trying to set things up for the first time, don't actually know what they're doing, and chalk it up to the game rather than user error.

I actually set up a Windows 2012 Server dual-boot )free from dreamspark.com, basically Windows 8 once the user experience stuff is installed) for the DCS stuff; there just aren't any decent combat flight sims (though x-plane is supposed to be an awesome cross-platform non-combat sim if you're into that kinda thing) which kills me. My only other option would be the old IL-2 which, while great and runs phenomenally in wine, just doesn't have any decent multiplayer if you don't know the people you're playing with. But aside from the DCS stuff I've been pretty resistant to running anything else on Windows since I've gotten pretty much everything else to run in wine.

I also signed up for the Steam Linux Beta which should drop about any day now, so I have my fingers crossed.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Finally loaded; PlayOnLinux actually has a precompiled wine for WorldOfTanks so if it is really that easy it should take about 5 extra minutes to set up for it. I may mess with it a bit tonight if I have time.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hudson wrote:Finally loaded; PlayOnLinux actually has a precompiled wine for WorldOfTanks so if it is really that easy it should take about 5 extra minutes to set up for it. I may mess with it a bit tonight if I have time.

Ya the guy in that MWO thread used WOT as a basses to get it going.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hudson, are there currently any PC games that you have not been able to get working under Fedora? Just curious since I'd like to know more about this in case MS decides to have a scorched earth policy with Windows 8 and future OS's.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Anything with DRM like starforce won't. Some things are tough, like I know MWO _can_ run, but I haven't put in the effort... many steam games just install and run though... It will never be perfect...
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

is NVidia the way to go for graphics? or does it matter?
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

nvidia works well. I actually have SLI working no problem. No idea how ATI is these days, but older cards have been a right pain in the butt for me.