OOPS

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

OOPS

Post by VEGETA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHu7Jdjz ... e=youtu.be

Before anyone asked I am fine, bruised chest, jaw a little soar, a bit stiff and no pieces of "wood" sticking out (friend crashed month back on track and thought he has a piece of wood stuck in him, nope that was bone sticking out). And second, it was 100% my own dumb fault for turning in to early.

So over the weekend I completed stages 1-3 of racer5. Viv was also there but suit issues means she has to go back to complete it (they where nice enough to let her go back to get the SOAR licence). Was having a great time pushing that cbr125 as hard as I could. Scraping mettle bits and even destroyed a rear tire by the end of day 3 (was a brand new tire day 1). Something the owner said has never happened before. Betting for my size needed more psi in the thing. Those dam cbr125's bikes can corner tho. Others on 600 and other larger bikes, I (and others in the racer5 group) where easily able to stay with and even pass in turns. Of course after turn they just left us behind.

So day4 they toss me on another bike with a better tire and let me lose. First practice I tried a few things with changing gears at diffident areas. Second practice the track was nearly dried up and I had managed to get the gopro mounted on the right side of the helmet just before jumping on the bike. Was having a lot of fun, easily holding my own and in a lot of the turns I was entering with more speed then many others in the group. That said, me being a big boy, the straightaway even if I ace the tun getting onto it, I could not catch people (as seen easily in the video, start closing on corner exit then they start pulling).

I managed to pass 2 people out of the carousel(great sweeper) and max out 4th gear through the next small turn. Small straight keep it pinned and then I go for the right turn and completely blew it. By this point I had done the turn many times and knew dam well that turning in early was bad news. Turn a little later and it works out great. But nope I turned early. Scraping a knee through the entire turn tell the end. I thought I was also scraping the foot peg as well but I can not hear it in the video but it can be heard earlier in the video when I did it else ware. The guy I passed also said I had the thing leaned right over but video just shows I had gotten off the bike.

I never did give up on the turn, the video shows me looking to the right and I was rather close to making it from my perspective. But nope off I went. face and chest down into the mud, the over a turtle from the opposite side (in a different config of the track there is a left turn here). The slow motion you can see the bike back end being jumped into the air over the turtle (assuming muffler hit at that point as I trashed the muffler parity good). Bent a clip-on, wrecked the throttle tube, trashed the faring and the for peg gets ripped off. I was up on my feet fast start heading to the bike and you can see the foot peg on the ground. Again assume the turtle took that off as again hit turtle from the back side. The break leaver was gone but the master cylinder was turned at least 90 degrees up which saved the leaver. Great past is the throttle tube and can are parts they don't charge for. So out of pocket was only 327$.

showed the instructor the vid and they said they agree I had turned to early and also mentioned I looked like I was flying. Either way I learned a lot the weekend and am happy this happened within 1 min of the last practice session ending. So all I missed was the final racer5 cup race. Helmet is a write off, I am betting I could have borrowed one but something told me to sit the race out. Sure enough during the race one of the guys I was in par with went down in the exact same corner as I did and anther SOAR racer went down as well there. another racer in one race we watched had about 1/32 of a inch left of track before doing the same thing there to.

We ran the modified track and that corner is turn one which has 2 other ways to exit it depending on the track configuration. So I stopped sliding on left turn part that was not being used.

I will post pictures of the bike and track suit later.

http://www.grandbendraceway.com/race/in ... &Itemid=26
Last edited by VEGETA on 19 Jun 2012, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo Six

Re: OOPS

Post by Buffalo Six »

so.......you crashed right? j/k Veg. Glad your ok. BTW that link is dead 404'd
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Buffalo Six wrote:so.......you crashed right? j/k Veg. Glad your ok. BTW that link is dead 404'd
link fixed
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Did ya know the guy who wrote "Born to be Wild" is from Canada? Well, he is!

Glad you're okay, Veg.

PDT_Armataz_01_37
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

glad you are healthy Veg.

last time i went down i broke both collar bones.
Helmut
Falker

Post by Falker »

Cheers!
That body gear really works , right!

I hear that after you smack your helmet , it breaks a small layer or shield inside , that has been added as an extra layer of protection. Yes/No ?
We're in the pipe , five by five.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Falker wrote:Cheers!
That body gear really works , right!

I hear that after you smack your helmet , it breaks a small layer or shield inside , that has been added as an extra layer of protection. Yes/No ?

helmets are made of a outer shell or either fiberglass, plastic, carbon fiber and some other odd balls. Then in that you have Expanded Polystyrene foam inside. then of course the padding to make it conferrable. Idea is the foam absorbs the impact and the shell spreads out force and such.

I am not aware of any small layer it breaks, just a crushing of the foam. But general rule is a helmet strike = written off helmet. Its a one tie use only. I took a strike to the shin part (under face shied) and all I had was a little bit of a soar jaw.

I was also Waring racing boots from alpine star, a one piece leather suit (almost no damage) with a level 2 ce back protector (knox ages), nexo gloves (also heavily damaged but intact). And the gear works, after watching the video I realized how far I actually slid and was able to hop back up and could have taken the bike out after except the dam foot peg war sitting on ground (viable in video)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet
Softball

Post by Softball »

Glad to hear you're ok! What was your speed at the time of the crash? Looks like the grass helped break your fall initially.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

just saw the vid Veg....me thinks you missed the apex. glad it was muddy.